Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding a subwoofer

Malibuoy

I'd like to add a subwoofer to the new boat but don't know how to go about getting it done and/or what I'll need.

I bought a 2012 Wakesetter MXZ 22 and it has the stereo pack 2 with the 8 rockford fosgate boat speakers, 2 rockford fosgate tower speakers, 2 rockford fosgate amplifiers and the head unit. I also have the 2nd battery for additional power.

The only thing I'm missing is that 12" rockford fosgate subwoofer on the drivers side.

How would you guys go about adding this?

Will I need a 3rd amp?

Is it best to get the product directly from Malibu and have the dealer do the installation?

Any and all advice is appreciated guys. Hope everyone had an awesome 4th!

Thanks,

Dustin

^^^^ Fanboyism without answering the questions......I just saw someone point this out in another thread, hmmmmmm! :rofl::thumbup:

Malibuoy,

Yes, you will probably need a dedicated amp to drive a sub.

The MXZ is such an easy boat to do a sub install in, so do not limit yourself to the OEM offering. But, if you want to keep the look consistent, the R/F 12" is not a bad sub. It will need a proper enclosure behind it, and IMO, the OEM enclosure is somewhat lacking. I would purchase the sub and amp through an authoruzed retailer/installer, and have them build the enclosure and install the sub and amp, rather then purchase the sub, amp and enclosure from the factory through your dealer.

^^^^ Fanboyism without answering the questions......I just saw someone point this out in another thread, hmmmmmm! :rofl::thumbup:

Malibuoy,

Yes, you will probably need a dedicated amp to drive a sub.

The MXZ is such an easy boat to do a sub install in, so do not limit yourself to the OEM offering. But, if you want to keep the look consistent, the R/F 12" is not a bad sub. It will need a proper enclosure behind it, and IMO, the OEM enclosure is somewhat lacking. I would purchase the sub and amp through an authoruzed retailer/installer, and have them build the enclosure and install the sub and amp, rather then purchase the sub, amp and enclosure from the factory through your dealer.

Good call toolshed.

Thanks a lot guys! Great advice. I made a call to an audio shop here in the cities and was able to work up a nice package with an upgraded amp and sub in a custom enclosure for roughly $700 with tax and labor. Sounds fairly reasonable.

Edited by Malibuoy
  • 8 months later...