Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Repairing the HDS box (non DIY)

Hey guys, after doing about a month and a half of research, I am 99% sure I have the HDS box leak. I've done the reverse fill up, and the only place letting water out, is the drive shaft hole.

With that being said, I've taken the boat to the dealer, they had it for a week, and didt get it done, they said I'd have to come back after they get the "glue" in. Which I'm assuming is plexus. They said they want 5-600 dollars to repair it (without doing a shaft log).

I've called around and found a guy, his name is mike from dynamic marine fiberglass repair in northeast central fl, and I sent him pictures of what needs to be refiberglassed and re gelled, and he told me he can get it done for 250-300 bucks. His labor rates are 50 an hour compared to the dealers 10 an hour.

My question is... is this a job that the marine fiberglass guy can do for me? Or would you reccomend taking it to the dealer. I don't think the fiberglass guy has ever done an HDS box before but he did say he will stand behind his work and if it leaks again, bring it back and he will fix it again no problem.

If I could get some opinions as to where I should take it/who I should trust to actually get it done right, that would be great. Thanks in advance guys.

Edited by alxmlr789

Will they both have the same turn around time?

I would be inclined to have the specialty fiberglass guy do it especially if he says bring it back with any issues.

Edit: I havent recently read up on the HDS stuff so I dont recall how difficult of a repair it was.

Edited by Shine

Will they both have the same turn around time?

I would be inclined to have the specialty fiberglass guy do it especially if he says bring it back with any issues.

Edit: I havent recently read up on the HDS stuff so I dont recall how difficult of a repair it was.

The fiberglass guy said it would be less turnaround time actually. The dealer took 9 working days to get my tower and prop put on. Which they said it would take 3-4.

Go with the fiberglass expert and have him do the shaft log.

If a dealer is saying they are going to "glue" it and not do a shaft log, you'll probably be back to have it "fixed" again anyway. Shaft log is the best fix.

• 1 year later...

if you have a fiber glass guy maybe have him check out this link and have him do something like this??

http://www.everglass.org/shaftlog.htm

I did the repair on my last dd boat I just refiberglassed the hd box where the cracks were and worked out pretty great..

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41977-hds-repair-underway/

either way have someone get it done and get out and enjoy the season :)

if you have a fiber glass guy maybe have him check out this link and have him do something like this??

http://www.everglass.org/shaftlog.htm

That is a shaft log. My guess is that if you have the fiberglass guy go this route, it will likely not cost more (it may cost less) & you won't have to deal with HDS leaks again. As jk said, if you just repair the HDS then there's a strong possibility that you'll end up having to repair it again.