Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop SLIGHTLY bent - safe to use or not?

Ugh - I did something stupid yesterday. Due to the lack of rain for the past couple of months, the water is lower than normal. There was some wind at the dock, and I stupidly chose the dock where I have to get on from the starboard side. I didn't walk the boat back on the dock (a lot of goose crap on it I wanted to avoid), so I just pushed out, got in, and put her in reverse. Due to the wind, I started heading toward the dock, so I put it in forward, cranked the wheel for a turn around.

Sadly, the wind started pushing me towards shore. I then realized it was getting really shallow in a hurry. I put in in neutral, grabbed the paddle to push off, but by that time I hit bottom (read, prop was NOT moving). I might have been traveling 1MPH tops when we touched bottom.

I push the boat into deeper water, start to take off, and hear a bit of intermittent rubbing. I immediately put the few feet to the dock, grab the truck and pull her out. I think I must have got a bit of debris caught between the prop/rudder.

No damage to the rudder, and it moves freely/perfectly. A couple of the prop blades are slightly bent at the cupping - basically they aren't cupped as well as the others. Now I know one of them was sort of like this since I bought it; I think I just caused it on another one and made the previous one slightly worse. No material is missing from the prop.

I take her back out on the water. Trolling around, feels exactly the same. At speed, I noticed a VERY slight vibration. I'm pretty sensitive to noticing vibrations, and most wouldn't notice it at all (my wife couldn't, even after mentioning it and she has spent a lot of time on the boat as a passenger and driver). The motor vibrates the boat more at idle than this vibration was at speed. It is that slight. We weren't boarding yesterday so I didn't get to feel it at load. The vibration seemed to stay ever so slight and the same from part throttle all the way up to top speed.

The question is: am I safe to run this prop the rest of the season, or do you think it could cause any additional damage? If the vibration were more noticable I for sure wouldn't run it. I only question it because of how slight it is; had I never been in the boat before I would think it was normal operation - it is truly that slight.

If it's vibrating (even minor) it needs to be fixed. You don't want unnecessary wear on other items. I'm guessing 100 to 150 to fix and balance the prop.

Cost (though I don't want to spend the money) isn't the factor - the down time waiting for a prop puller to show up, pulling it, and having it repaired is the factor.

The question is will this minor vibration really wear out anything? If so, am I safe for 1-2 more outttings before getting it fixed (giving me time for the puller to come in).

You don't want to run a damaged prop. The vibrations mean the prop is no longer running in a balanced condition. Some blades are pushing more water than others. This will cause your prop shaft to move from side to side and wear on the bearing in the prop strut and stress the shaft seal assembly.

If it's as slight as you say, you should be able to hammer it back into shape. Remove the prop and use a hammer with a fairly big face such as a hand maul so you don't mark the face all up and if you have a decent size vice on your workbench, use that for your resting surface. Carefully try to match the undamaged blade. I have done this numerous times for small dings. The nibral props are fairly soft so you don't have to hit them too hard. You can also use a file to dress the edges if you nick them up. If that doesn't stop the vibration it's time for the prop shop. They will make it like new if they know what they're doing.

And until your puller comes, a sharp rap or two on the back of the prop should pop it off. Loosen the nut but don't remove it. It will keep the prop from falling to the ground. This method usually works for props that haven't been on the boat "forever".

And until your puller comes, a sharp rap or two on the back of the prop should pop it off. Loosen the nut but don't remove it. It will keep the prop from falling to the ground. This method usually works for props that haven't been on the boat "forever".

I am sure my prop has been on the boat "forever." I am guessing it has never been removed since it was put on from the factory.

I guess I need to pull it. Can anyone recommend a puller for me? I would like to order one today. I might just buy a new prop and have this repaired for a spare. I just sent a message to Acme for a prop suggestion, as I want to try something else if I'm buying a new prop. Currently rocking the stock 381, which is a great prop for this motor. I would hate the 1235 and would be a poor choice for my boat, but might like the 537 or something else.

Give it a try anyway, you might be surprised. Anyway, go to www.skiertoskier.com. They have props and pullers for a decent price. They are also experienced if you have questions. Overton's has them too.

jkendallmsce

To redo the prop should be $100. ANd any vibration is not good, and puts strains on other drivetrain components. That is why alignment is soo critical. Find/borrow anouther prop while yours getting fixed. ANd ya the prop shops are busy this time of year, so a spare is good to have. Look on several sites, like ski-it-again and ebay, and you should be able to find a used one. Get it at a good price and you'll always be able to sell it for about the same price you bought it for. The prop shop may even have a used one, so call them.

prop downtime sucks. But it happens to everyone sooner or later. If I had that slight vibration, I would be tempted to finish my day on the water, but definitely no more than that. I once had a fish hit and very slightly bend one blade. I could not see the bent blade, though a more experienced eye caught it. just like you, slight vibration. My dealer had a prop in stock, and I bought it as good insurance.

I currently have one (with sever damage mind you) at ACME for repair. They quoted 3 weeks right now, busy time for them. I recommend sending them back to ACME rather having a local guy do it, the local guys typically dont have a jig to get them perfect.

Your boat is a 2001 and you've never had the prop off, or damaged it, wow, that must be a record. Any way, Everyone should have a spare prop and key, and the puller and tools so you don't ruin a holiday by not being able to run the boat. These Nibral props are very soft and I have had three props repaired in the three years I've owned my boat. Just last summer holidays on the first day, I nicked the bottom (shallow lake) and could not take the rpms over 1000 without violent shaking of the whole boat. We were back running in no time. ALWAYS have a spare. As far as running the boat, I can't say go ahead and run it, but if it were me and the vibration is as minor as you described, I would buy another prop and probably run with it until the new prop comes in. :cheers:

Edited by Vettesetter Z06

I am sure my prop has been on the boat "forever." I am guessing it has never been removed since it was put on from the factory.

I guess I need to pull it. Can anyone recommend a puller for me? I would like to order one today. I might just buy a new prop and have this repaired for a spare. I just sent a message to Acme for a prop suggestion, as I want to try something else if I'm buying a new prop. Currently rocking the stock 381, which is a great prop for this motor. I would hate the 1235 and would be a poor choice for my boat, but might like the 537 or something else.

If you are hitting the Rev limiter with the 381 you will be on it all the time with the 537. With the 381 we were way off the rev limiter 400-500 RPM and are on it with the 537, 100-200 RPM below it with the OJ fusion, very similar porp to the 1235. The bigger diameter has almost as much to do with top RPMS as pitch, the cup also has alot to do with it. The prop is always "slipping" some, and the smaller ones will slip more. The 537 and 381 are smaller in diameter then the 1235 or Fusion.

I emailed Acme and they suggested the 817.

Reason I don't think the prop has ever been off is because of who I bought it from. Wealthy guy with a house and covered slip on the river (these homes go for 600k to 5M+). He only used it on the river and it is a pretty consistent depth throughout until you get to the fishing areas. Hope I can find a used 817 cheap enough. Who has the best deal on pullers?