Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Starter relay (another "no start" thing to check)

Here is another thing to check if you run into a delayed or no start issue when turning the key on newer Malibus. The problem started last year when I started blowing multiple starter fuses on the main engine fuse box located on the trans (port side). I attributed the blown fuses to the kids repeatedly turning the Malivue on/off to get their "stereo on" or to check the depth gauge.... which lead to a heat issue which blew the fuses. The problem seemed to grow this year but I was also seeing a delay in starting when keying to start, followed by the engine starting or a no start. Eventually it would start as normal, but it would take a couple minutes for it to cool or reset??? The whole time all of the gauges worked, the buzzer beeped and you could hear (what I believe) was the soleniod engaging, but no power to spin the starter. I discounted the keyed ignition and the starter relay was the next link before the solenoid and starter. To the point, it seems after replacing the factory starter relay (Song Chuan model(896H)) located in the same location as the fuses, I have fixed the problem. The replacement was an AutoZone, AC Delco part# 2007 for about $15.00. As to the original cause, I am still thinking it is the constant key on, key off cycling that just fryed the original relay. By the way the replacement part is also made in China, probably on the same line or just across the street.

it's just a cheapie five pin bosch relay. I just went through some similar heartburn with a starting relay on my pcm motor (which is similarly cheap). I went to autozone and bought an ac delco replacement, also made in china, which looks and feels just as cheap as the oem relay.

I'll betcha these are nicer than what you can get at your local auto parts retailer: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=330-079

Shawn, I'll have to keep that one in mind for the next time this happens. When I Googled the factory Song Chuan one I found a place in China that was selling 300 or 400 of them for a like 3 bucks and change. Makes you wonder about the mark up sometimes! I bet the Bosch version is Hecho in Chin as well.

wdr, what motor is that on? 350? Hammerhead?

I have the 6.0, my fuse box is mounted on the front of the engine...between the engine and the backrest of the rear seats. thanks for the share.

Edited by nyryan2001

350 Monsoon, the box is basically directly behind/under the rear MUX switch on the rear seat on the transmission. You can barely see the edge of it here in the 9 oclock position.

post-14628-0-45883400-1342013801_thumb.j

two key things to remember about diagnosing a starter relay:

1. The boat won't crank AT ALL. So this isn't a slow start issue... it's more like what the boat will do if you leave it in gear and try to start. A starter relay failure will prevent power to the solenoid (another relay), which in turn prevents the starter from cranking.

2. The sound you hear (probably) isn't the solenoid, it's the fuel pump priming (pull the fuel pump relay to confirm).

Edited by shawndoggy

I was getting a definite and loud metallic clack not the quieter click/buzz that I would normally associate with an electronic fuel pump priming. The new relay seems to have fixed the problem and I put a ton of hours on it surfing over the holiday break. Thanks Shawn, now you have me looking under my bed for Gremlins again! :)

• 1 month later...

I am having an intermittant Start problem. Turn key and no starter crank. Started 2 weeks ago and I took the starter to a local rebuild shop as I suspected Selonoid. They put on a new selonoid and brush holder. $52 started every time last weekend after reinstalling it. Yesterday it started doing the same thing again. Not every time but did it 2 times yesterday out of probably 12 starts. Turn key and 1 click heard from engine area but no starter crank. Turn the key a couple more times and it fires.Now thinking I would put in a new starter relay. 06 VLX Monsoon, anyone have part # or is it the same as the # posted above in wdr post?

I am having an intermittant Start problem. Turn key and no starter crank. Started 2 weeks ago and I took the starter to a local rebuild shop as I suspected Selonoid. They put on a new selonoid and brush holder. $52 started every time last weekend after reinstalling it. Yesterday it started doing the same thing again. Not every time but did it 2 times yesterday out of probably 12 starts. Turn key and 1 click heard from engine area but no starter crank. Turn the key a couple more times and it fires.Now thinking I would put in a new starter relay. 06 VLX Monsoon, anyone have part # or is it the same as the # posted above in wdr post?

Tried to get an AC Delco 2007 @ autozone today but they can't pull up that #? Any other possibilities?

Edited by dalt1

any old bosch five pin will (should!) work. It's just a simple five pin relay. Pull it out and take it into the auto parts store and say "I need one of these."

I'll bet this one is as good as any that they pull off the shelf at your local third rate auto parts purveyor.

On my 06 VLX, which of the three is the starter relay? 3 are all attached to motor in a line from port to starboard. Is it the one on the port, center, or starboard one? They are a bit of a pain to reach and don't want to have to play musical relays.

Edited by dalt1

I cannot say for sure which one (my WAG would be starboard), but you should be able to trace the wire from your tranny's neutral throttle position sensor to the correct relay because the NTPS is the ground switch that will prevent the starter relay from working ....

Good guess Shawn, it was the one on the Starboard side. Pulled that one and cycled key. Fuel pump spooled up but no starter engaugement. Took relay to Autozone and got a replacement ( Duralast # 19265 ) No Ac Delco # available from them. I also swapped my starter out for a new one as recommended by both local Malibu dealers. I will put the original relay back in and test out the new starter first. If I still have failures I will swap out relay. Here's to hoping for a stress free weekend on the lake!

I replaced mine over 4th of July weekend when I started getting intermittent no starts... I actually thought it was the neutral throttle position sensor, but then I shorted that and still no crank, so I went to the relay. I've done another 50 hours on a janky autozone replacement (what looks like a two dollar chinese ebay relay in a $15 box) absolutely trouble free.

Great, just jinxed it!

Update after long Labor Day weekend: :cheers: After Talking to both Malibu Dealers in my area, they both bet on the starter even though it had been repaired (new selonoid and brush holder). I called the shop that did the repairs and they offered to refund my charges ($58) for the repaired starter and sell me a brand new one that they had in stock. New starter price was about $160. I took the deal and replaced mine with a new one. After about 10 hours of use this weekend, working like new again. :clap: I never did put in the new relay as I wanted to prove out the starter first. I wil take the relay back for a refund unless someone here needs one, I will sell it to them.