Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacement tower speaker size?

jesseray6537

Hey Crew, my boat is in SC and Im in NC right now. Wanna order new replacement speakers for my tower. i dont need any cans just the speakers. what size are they and what would you guys recommend? Thanks!!!

I dont know the name of the tower but i have the tower that has the 2 speakers on each side with the cans right above one another.

From your profile, it looks like you have an Illusion tower. Are your tower speaker pods round or oval? Are you looking for a surf specific speaker that will sound good close in, or a wake-board specific speaker that will project to the rider?

you probably have 6 1/2 speakers in cans since you say they are round.

NOTHING you put in those cans will be heard while wakeboarding. You would need to step up to some brand of HLCD's to hear anything while boarding.

• Like 3

you probably have 6 1/2 speakers in cans since you say they are round.

NOTHING you put in those cans will be heard while wakeboarding. You would need to step up to some brand of HLCD's to hear anything while boarding.

We are not allowed to mention brands here in the forums, but, there is a 4-pod component HLCD option out there that is absolutely audible at wake-board range and handles 250W rms per side. And they are a drop-in replacement for the OEM coax that come in the Titan-1 6.5" pods. They also a very warm sounding setup for near-field listening such as surfing or party-cove, unlike a traditional 6.5 HLCD. 4 ohm nominal impedance, so they can easily be bridged on a 4 chnl amp.

Why cant you mention brands, unless maybe your a manufacturer or distributor, but your talking the kickers. Those look good and fit in a number of different pods and speaker housings, but lets be honest with 1 pair, which is essentially what your getting with 4 pods is not going to sound that great to the wakeboarder.

Thanks Bradley! that's what i ordered for my stock cans. the 6500.2 system. ill let ya know how they sound compared to the sony i have in there now, but anything would be a improvement LOL!!!

Thanks Bradley! that's what i ordered for my stock cans. the 6500.2 system. ill let ya know how they sound compared to the sony i have in there now, but anything would be a improvement LOL!!!

Your amplifier power and tuning will have a huge impact on your net results.

Your amplifier power and tuning will have a huge impact on your net results.

thanks and yeah your right, my friend owns a car stereo shop down in wallace SC called Pee Dee Customs and he went to school at the rockfard fosgate school down in florida so i think its going to turn out well... until i can get some wet sounds LOL!!!

thanks and yeah your right, my friend owns a car stereo shop down in wallace SC called Pee Dee Customs and he went to school at the rockfard fosgate school down in florida so i think its going to turn out well... until i can get some wet sounds LOL!!!

In terms of mid-bass surface area, horn size and power handling, these can sit side by side with some 8" HLCD's. Sound is so subjective, so each perspective buyer needs to decide for themselves what thier ears like.

• 4 weeks later...

installed the kickers, they sound good enough for me! you can hear them across the lake so im happy with them!! thanks for the advise!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Figured it out its a 6.5 inch component in plastic housing with tweeter next to it. All 4 speaker had water in them regardless of stock seals. The frequency splitter and connections and box separating the speakers to tweaters were all corroded and rusted out. Going to order new speakers with tweeters built in and bypass the box so less chance of corrosion and going to Vaseline the connections and maybe Vaseline around the front and back of speaker casing to form better seal hopefully.