Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfgatewave

Malibudude

Im pretty sure no one will buy the boat just for surfing.

You'd think so, but Centurion has sold a lot of Enzos and those boats suck at everything but surfing. I'm going out on one tomorrow night actually for the first time. Can't wait to try this thing... See if the hype is worth it.

Im pretty sure no one will buy the boat just for surfing. We use our boat for cruising as well and the occasional air chair session.

Ya who would buy a boat just for surfing? wrong. Lots of boats are being sold where surfing is the primary activity, which is why Centurion Enzo models have exploded in popularity and others are racing to catch up (MC X25). I bought mine primarily for surfing...after my 20hr break in, its the first thing I did (coming out of wakeboaridng with 4 bulging disks). there are 2 videos on that surfgate page.... that one video from the side I initially missed, IS impressive... if that is stock ballast--waist high 10-15ft back?? thats one hell of a start....imagine if you threw an 1100 in the trunk... untill now you've needed 3000k+ lbs of surfside weight to throw those kind of waves.

7362663482_5fd1684518_c.jpg

5778603829_c24653f69a_z.jpg

I'm not knocking it, as I said surfing is a nice break from time to time. But let's be honest, very expensive boats to just surf. Especially for people like me who aren't far from the beach. Yes we all cruise, ride, and enjoy our time. I wasn't hating, just pointing out an obvious factor. And I'm sure 90% of us have done way more stupid things beside surf behind an outboard. :). Maybe that should be our next thread, I like story time!

Don't need an expensive boat to wakeboard either, can be done behind a johnboat. Besides I thought these boats could wakeboard, wakeskate, wakesurf, and ski.

Please god if you see someone surfing a boat other than a inboard stop them. They may not stop but at least you have your best effort to save a injury or maybe a life. One of my friends had his kids trying to surf behind a 26 foot cruiser and after I explained the danger all he could do is thank me. It's funny to think but some people just don't think things through. That video made me gringe.

Ya who would buy a boat just for surfing? wrong.

Seriously, we surf 95% of the time in our boat but its not the sole reason we bought the boat. If surfing was the sole reason, then we would of kept our Maristar and just bought some more sacs.

Edited by Jab31169

You'd think so, but Centurion has sold a lot of Enzos and those boats suck at everything but surfing. I'm going out on one tomorrow night actually for the first time. Can't wait to try this thing... See if the hype is worth it.

We looked and tested a Enzo and I can 100% agree with what you said. Enzo sac is a must

One of my best friends traded in his Moomba for an new enzo last year. That thing is a piece, pretty much every option and feature has broken and been replaced. Even his bimini top. The truth is Centurion should reward their marketers. They saw an emerging market and took an opportunity to become synonymous with wakesurfing. Unfortunately that doesn’t mean they build good boats.

Wake surfing will continue to massively grow in popularity. I always joke with my wakeboard friends “if wakeboarding didn’t hurt they would call it wakesurfing.” And it’s very true. So many people are now taking the alternative route from the pain, agony and risk of injury of wakeboarding. It’s just a matter of time before it surpasses wakeboarding in popularity...

Wake surfing will continue to massively grow in popularity. I always joke with my wakeboard friends “if wakeboarding didn’t hurt they would call it wakesurfing.” And it’s very true. So many people are now taking the alternative route from the pain, agony and risk of injury of wakeboarding. It’s just a matter of time before it surpasses wakeboarding in popularity...

Ain't gonna happen.

Enzo's wakeboard wake looks washy to me. With their deep V, rough water ride is supposed to be good. So good at wakesurfing and rough water ride, but bad at everything else? Please explain...

Edited by skurfer

Surfing is a little easier on the body, not saying you aren't going to get a work out, but you deffinitely are not going to get the slams you would on a wakeboard or Foil. And foils shouldn't even count in this discussion as you don't need a big wake to foil. :biggrin: One of my best friends foils, he's the only one, but he is the man on that thing. Used to ride with Mike Murphy down at Marine stadium, got him hooked, the rest is history. anyway, back to the big expensive boat for surfing.... to each his own, but from the video from earlier to this one, the big wake might help

Another option in 2013 will be an adjustable seat, just like Supra. This will be a great addition.

Malibu continues to step up there build, looking forward to the final product reveal.

I hope you're right. It's about time to say the least. Also, we need some 1600 gph pumps :D Jus sayin

I'm not knocking it, as I said surfing is a nice break from time to time. But let's be honest, very expensive boats to just surf. Especially for people like me who aren't far from the beach. Yes we all cruise, ride, and enjoy our time. I wasn't hating, just pointing out an obvious factor. And I'm sure 90% of us have done way more stupid things beside surf behind an outboard. :). Maybe that should be our next thread, I like story time!

I think the key here is it's not a big deal *because you live by the ocean*. There are tons of states with lakes that are in the middle of the country. Take me in wisconsin for example. I'm 27 and have never had the opportunity to surf in the ocean. I surfed starting last year behind my boat and it was a lot of fun. It all depends who you are and where you live. To many, expensive boats might be the only possible way they can surf on a regular basis.

• Like 1

Foiling is the future of wakesports?

Ya no future in wakesurfing at all.... its just a fad, wont last, boring. Look at my son's face, when its his time to buy a wakeboat I am sure surfing wont even cross his mind. Poor kid, it wast till this pic I realized he was goofy foot like dad and i had him on the wrong side.

5688796294_1443ca45bb_z.jpg

I hope you're right. It's about time to say the least. Also, we need some 1600 gph pumps :D Jus sayin

Adjustable seats (vertical) as I recall have been available for several years although maybe not in 2012. I had a 2007 with one...power at that.

Enzo's wakeboard wake looks washy to me. With their deep V, rough water ride is supposed to be good. So good at wakesurfing and rough water ride, but bad at everything else? Please explain...

You pretty much hit it right on the head. Even the helm stinks. Seen the "new" FX22 helm? Looks like bayliner designed it. even on the top of the line enzos the ballast swtiches are mounted vertically on the right side with the switches sideways. It is what it is tho, a $60,000 + surf boat.

You're right, geographical location plays a part. But as I said originally, things I TAKE FOR GRANTED. But, in the first video I posted, they were having a lot of fun on a less expensive boat. I'm not trashing anyone, please don't think I was, wasn't meant to come across like that. The look on your sons face is priceless, I can't wait for my son to get behind the boat and see that. In the end it's all about a good time

Foiling is the future of wakesports?

Ya no future in wakesurfing at all.... its just a fad, wont last, boring. Look at my son's face, when its his time to buy a wakeboat I am sure surfing wont even cross his mind. Poor kid, it wast till this pic I realized he was goofy foot like dad and i had him on the wrong side.

5688796294_1443ca45bb_z.jpg

Wakesurfing has been around a lot longer than people realize. Although growing and important, its never driven the industry as a whole. There have bene almost 20 annual world wakesurfing championships. Nationals is this weekend and its not like its gets a bunch of press. I'm not saying its a fad but far from being the most important watersport to cater to.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Kinda funny the things I take for granted. Living in So Cal, I guess if we want to surf, we go to the beach, not drop 80k on boat. Not saying surfing isnt a nice change up from time to time, but It's nothing I would ever consider when buying a boat. Before I get flamed, I don't see a huge wake here

Everyone is hating on this video because she's as flat as her surfboard. Right? I don't see anything else wrong here.....

On a serious note, I bought a crazy expensive boat and spent more money on top of that to build the wake and my only plan was surfing. I think it's great that you live close to the ocean and you like to surf there. Surfing in the ocean and behind a boat are very similar, but there are some key differences. I'm sure there are lots of people that prefer one or the other. Our friends that are big surfers love to surf behind our boat, but they haven't stopped going to the ocean either.

Wakesurfing is taking off, faster than wakeboarding did in the early days. It may or may not overtake it someday, but wakesurfing is definitely not some poor replacement that only inlanders could possibly enjoy.

Centurion and most of the other tier two tournament/wakeboard boat manufacturers have been trying to differentiate themselves from the big three by creating surf specific features. I'm glad to see Malibu jumping into the game because it's the only wake sport I do these days. However, I'm sure they will keep innovating for boarders, skiers and even foilers. :P

From a sales approach wakesurfing will not pass the wakeboarding industry. Wakeboarders seem to all buy their own equipment whereas surfing it’s pretty common for there to be one board on the boat and 10 people using it. We bring fair weather boating enthusiasts out all the time and 10 people will line up to wakesurf but I will have to inconvenience everyone to get my wakeboard set in. And just because something is boring to watch doesn’t mean people won’t do it. Heck there is a whole cable channel dedicated to it called the Golf Channel.

Wakesurfing is not "taking off" faster than what wakeboarding did in its early days. Wakesurfing has been around for 20 years, at a competitive level. Wakeboarding revolutionized an entire industry. What will always distinguish Malibu from Centurion and to a lesser extent Tige' is that if the surfgate works as well as it apparenlty could, it allows SO much more flexibility with the boat. Heck even without surfgate I'd rather have a bu (obviously). Now does that mean everyone agrees, of course not, but in my area, no one who has owned inboards before is buying centurions. Virtually everyone is new to watersports. Is that an important market to have, probably, but people new to inboards don't have much to compare the quality, noise, and vibration of a centurion to anything else.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Well, I've seen this system in person and got to ride the wave myself. I can tell you, it will revolutionize wakesurfing.

Chatt.. Come on man... More details.....

• Like 2