Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfgatewave

Malibudude

I wonder if removing the 400 lbs bag from the bow would make much of a difference? Otherwise, you shouldn't need to throw a Tsunami pump over the sige, since the 750 lbs rear locker sacs can just be hooked up to the plug-n-play ballast... Not true? I don't have any experience with the PNP system, but I hear it works well. If I still have to sling my Tsunami pump, then surfgate loses much of its appeal for me and my desire for a new boat diminishes somewhat.

Surfing has become our main sport and I'm tired of slinging the Tsunami.

Yeah, a buddy of mine has a new 2012 RIDE with the FlyHigh sacks (750# each I think) installed on top of his stock ballast tanks.

It all works great, no pumps over the side.

The goofy side wave looks great but the regular side looks like it could use some work. Some of the Malibu vids show a really nice looking regular side wave... not sure what it takes.

Here's another video, shows closeups of the gate in action and some shots of the UI on Maliview:

http://www.wakeboard...akeboarder-com/

Hmmm...that really doesn't look that hard to execute as a DIY project. Cost would be a factor those; new swim platform, whatever you use for the plate, and the two actuators. Rest is nickle and dime stuff; I'm sure it could be executed with just a 3-way switch.

Personally, I'd be willing to shell out $1000 - $1500 in parts as a DIY project.

Here's another video, shows closeups of the gate in action and some shots of the UI on Maliview:

http://www.wakeboard...akeboarder-com/

Is the actuator the same one on the Wedge by any chance? That would make life easier, than you just need an update for the Maliview, a gate, some bolts wires, copy where it all goes on the OEM version + a modded platform.

Thoughts any one?

Have just order a VTX in Australia and they will not even entertain the idea of surfgate yet, i was told they will not start manufacture untill approx april 2013 for this option.... and they say we are the lucy country....

Is the actuator the same one on the Wedge by any chance? That would make life easier, than you just need an update for the Maliview, a gate, some bolts wires, copy where it all goes on the OEM version + a modded platform.

Thoughts any one?

When I looked at it at the dealer it sure looks like the same actuator from the newer boats.

I brought up this concern in another thread but thought it merits repeating:

I have one concern with the design...I was told that it automatically deploys at about 7mph and automatically retracts when you slow down. This leaves open the chance for a rider to fall (into the platform), the driver to let off the gas and the gate to retract. The ride could get pinched between the gate and the platform. I've been in the situation where I've had to stop the boat due to other boats in front of me while someone is surfing. They end up slamming into the back of the boat and are lucky to stay on their feet. I could easily see someone getting pinned one day. If they do, the only way to get them out would be to throttle up?

Welp that was short, the wave itself isn't revolutionary or game changing. Let's hope the technology behind it is.

The head of the Malibu dealer by me is close friends with Malibu's senior design engineer (We'll call him Bill for now). We were discussing the new seagate and he said there's actually not much technology in these things at all. He said Bill didnt even use a CAD program to design it. It was done all by hand sketches and they just played around with small scale prototypes until the wake looked good.

It was done all by hand sketches and they just played around with small scale prototypes until the wake looked good.

I'm not surprised at all. According to the teaser vids. Malibu let out, it was designed on a bar napkin by some good lookin' blonde woman.

• Like 3

The most recent video is from a VLX. Here is the response I got on the setup.

Wakesetter VLX 2013 350hp 4 ballasts full with two plug&play 750lbs at 85% full+- power wedge down and one or two click up 11mph 4 persons in the boat...

The most recent video is from a VLX. Here is the response I got on the setup.

Wakesetter VLX 2013 350hp 4 ballasts full with two plug&play 750lbs at 85% full+- power wedge down and one or two click up 11mph 4 persons in the boat...

If that video Kyak posted is from a VLX that is bigtime surprising. If that is a VLX surfgate wave, it blew the sac'd out 23 and 22MXZ waves away, with a 350motor to boot.

So I would further say that is the best surfgate AND VLX wave I have seen. Impressive.

Maybe on the smaller boat the surfgate is able to be more effective? That's a total armchair engineering guess...

I have a VLX now, really happy with our tuned wave. Was thinking of going bigger, but would gladly get a new VLX with SG if that's the best wave!