Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfgatewave

Malibudude

Respectfully, the only people qualified to speak on trademark and patent laws are lawyers schooled and experienced in those domains and those people know not to speak in a public forum about them. I understand that many of you are very excited about this technology, you know that because of economics you won't see it for awhile and you've seen other innovations copied in the past by very handy boat owners. I would strongly encourage everyone to take discussion of copying innovation off of this forum for the sake of open discussion about using Malibu's delivered technology and the overall health of the company we all love. It would be a shame to see this thread or others locked because of these kinds of discussions about mimicking the innovation here in some manner.

What are you talking about? Once a patent is filed its public knowledge. You don't need special access of clearancd to search that or are breaking laws discussing it. And whether the people speaking about patent law are lawyers or not on here there is no repercussion from simply stating how patent laws work. Malibu has let the cat out of the bag now. They either have patents or not to protect it, but as of now it's public knowledge.

Jab, The side you are not surfing is destroyed by the surf gate, hence why the surf side is so good. To switch sides you push the button and in a few seconds you have it on the other side.

Pete, there are a few photos on the same page, and I'll get some more video up when I get done editing.

Video :

Gate :

Peter

• Like 1

Smooth, I get that what I'm saying is why does the reg side have the washy lip when you are surfing the reg side.

Goofy side will always be a little better due to prop rotation

My regular side wave used to have that white wash before we added another 700lbs of ballast.

I wonder if with surfgate we will need to slam our boats with 2x ballast before we start seeing super clean waves.

Or maybe a couple hundred pounds strategically placed somewhere in the boat will make the difference in tweaking out the wave. When we are wakeboarding I will sometimes move lead sacs and/or people around to get both wakes looking good.

Goofy side will always be a little better due to prop rotation

Ours was always Regular side (Port) that was better, cleaner face, longer, etc.

I personally can't wait. I've spent so much time, energy and money dealing with switching the ballast from one side to the other for surfing. When you're dealing with a 750lb sac, that's a lot of water to move. And if you ever had an issue with the sac 750lb of water makes it's way to the bow quickly, causing all kinds of problems.

Bring on the SurfGate baby.

As a couple people commented on WW, it looks like there isn't very much of a lip at the top of the wave. Anyone else notice that? Maybe it's just the pics, but it seems like there isn't a lot of curl to the wave, especially on the regular side.

Surfgate looks great, who would have thought a little tab could generate such a nice wave. It probably was already discussed, but why could you not just add this yourself to any boat? It's a trim tab with a Lenco electric hydraulic ram, correct?

Maybe I am missing something, but it does not seem like a difficult task to add to any boat. Seems like a much better option than spending $80k+ on a new boat. Probably less than $500 in parts.

Yep the wave is smooth and rounded over. his specs for this video: Factory ballast, Power Wedge 3/4, a 750 bag in each rear locker and a 400 bag in the bow on a 23 LSV.

so roughly 2000lbs over factory ballast and that is what you get.... for all intents and purposes, this is a fully sac'd out surfgate. And YES you are still throwing Tsunami pumps overboard to get this surfgate wave, multiple bags, 10-15 mins filling and draining so that misnomer in the promo videos is out the window. or back to custom plumbed systems.

current MXZs, 23s and 247s can already throw waves as good or better than that.

We need to see a pro ride that wave.... to see how the rounded over lip affects ability to get air. Its does look clean and fast though, jumping from side to side is neat.

Yep the wave is smooth and rounded over. his specs for this video: Factory ballast, Power Wedge 3/4, a 750 bag in each rear locker and a 400 bag in the bow on a 23 LSV.

so roughly 2000lbs over factory ballast and that is what you get.... for all intents and purposes, this is a fully sac'd out surfgate. And YES you are still throwing Tsunami pumps overboard to get this surfgate wave, multiple bags, 10-15 mins filling and draining so that misnomer in the promo videos is out the window. or back to custom plumbed systems.

current MXZs, 23s and 247s can already throw waves as good or better than that.

We need to see a pro ride that wave.... to see how the rounded over lip affects ability to get air. Its does look clean and fast though, jumping from side to side is neat.

While it's true that many boats can achieve that wave, they do it with the boat listing to one side. The thing that really appeals to me about the SG system is that you don't have that leaning boat. That might not be a big deal to some, but when you have a boatful of people I would think you'll feel safer without the lean.

As far as the rounded lips "ability to get air"...I wish I could get air on ANY wave! :lol:

I wonder if removing the 400 lbs bag from the bow would make much of a difference? Otherwise, you shouldn't need to throw a Tsunami pump over the sige, since the 750 lbs rear locker sacs can just be hooked up to the plug-n-play ballast... Not true? I don't have any experience with the PNP system, but I hear it works well. If I still have to sling my Tsunami pump, then surfgate loses much of its appeal for me and my desire for a new boat diminishes somewhat.

Surfing has become our main sport and I'm tired of slinging the Tsunami.

Ryan, they never said anything about not filling sacs, the selling point is not having to switch the weight from one side to the other, which is what is the biggest time eater in our boat. Also the PnP should take care of the rear bags. Should only need to sling a pump if you toss a sac up front.