Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfgatewave

Malibudude

Man, this review is great! It's a must read!

Wakeworld. Everytime I am on that website in the forums.... its like I am in a strange city and a take a wrong turn and end up in the "bad" part of town. its like a mosh pit over there. you gotta read 10-15 posts of garbage for every 1 that has any value. It actually makes our stereo thread seem tame.

:werule:

• Like 2

Wakeworld. Everytime I am on that website in the forums.... its like I am in a strange city and a take a wrong turn and end up in the "bad" part of town. its like a mosh pit over there. you gotta read 10-15 posts of garbage for every 1 that has any value. It actually makes our stereo thread seem tame.

:werule:

Yeah, I noticed that...I think I picked the right forum to join...:)

Only if sold?

You'll have to read the patent, but I'm sure it's about as tight as one could get.

Mdude, I've seen another person on wake world saying it doesnt list of crab, did you think it was crabing at all, seems it would have to a bit?

No you'd never know if if was deployed or not. Believe me it's that unnoticeable in the boat, I didn't feel the boat any different w or w/o them engaged. In fact looking over the gunwale you really can't even see them unless you really hang over. Notice I don't have a pic of that angle while moving...wasn't going to risk my Rebel...lol

No one's sure what the deal was with the gates on the MXZ in Tampa on Saturday. The boat sat in the water all week, pulled a ton of riders, got rained in and pretty much got trashed. Most likely, it was a loose or corroded connection or something. There was no evidence of a mechanical issue. That mxz is essentialy an r&d boat, so all of the surfgate wiring and connections were probably not tucked up and stowed like they will be with a production boat. I can tell you that we used an LSV pretty much nonstop for 3 days with the surfgate system on it a few months back, and it worked flawlessly.

The Rebull Games (final) was all done by cable. No Malibu boat pulled any riders. They were present and in the water (2) and other (2) where at the booth. You can order it and right now #k is what I'm hearing as the cost. The new website is launching shortly and I've got a glimpse of it....lookn' schweet! so far.

Malibudude, i beleive the MXZ pulled the riders in competition on day 1, in fact i am positive the 13 was out there on day 1. Thanks for the heads up on the website. Ordered a new 13 MXZ should be here second week of August.

The Axis target is for next model year at present. However, market demand can change even the best plans...

Once Surf Gate begins to hit the lakes, there's just no telling how fast it will grow? It adds a new element into family fun on the boat.

As an all around surfer on land and sea, this is an amazingly fun toy! I can't wait to see what happens next.

There's waves! Even on a flat day

The Rebull Games (final) was all done by cable. No Malibu boat pulled any riders. They were present and in the water (2) and other (2) where at the booth. You can order it and right now #k is what I'm hearing as the cost. The new website is launching shortly and I've got a glimpse of it....lookn' schweet! so far.

Malibudude, i beleive the MXZ pulled the riders in competition on day 1, in fact i am positive the 13 was out there on day 1. Thanks for the heads up on the website. Ordered a new 13 MXZ should be here second week of August.

There was a boat section for the contest. http://vimeo.com/45722007 .

Correct that's why I said finals was only done w/ cable pulls.

The Axis target is for next model year at present. However, market demand can change even the best plans...

Once Surf Gate begins to hit the lakes, there's just no telling how fast it will grow? It adds a new element into family fun on the boat.

As an all around surfer on land and sea, this is an amazingly fun toy! I can't wait to see what happens next.

There's waves! Even on a flat day

Ya time to open the Cali plant....surfgate has arrived! :biggrin:

• Like 2

This is awesome. Watching Brian ride from side to side and watching the wave adjust is unreal!

Maybe time to look at a 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice review posted on WW too:

http://www.wakeworld...t=794080&page=3

From WakeWorld. Not my review!

"The surfgate was on display at the Redbull Wake Open - so I'm assuming the cat's out of the bag, and I'll talk a little more about my impressions of the system. I got to spend a weekend behind an LSV with the surfgate system. It was a big group of us, with our kids, wives, boards, and all the stuff that goes along with that. We wanted to ride, surf, get from point A to point B, get the kids down for naps, pick people up at the dock, deal with boat traffic, etc. There was a lot that we wanted to do. I lay that background down, because I think it's important when considering what realistic impact I see this invention having on how people use their boats.

We were able to load up on the LSV (11 of us), fill the factory ballast, drop the wedge, and take turns riding (wakeboarding). When we were done riding, we wanted to take the kids surfing and let the wives surf. All we had to do was push a button to make that happen. We didn't have to drain any ballast, fill any ballast, move kids, wives, coolers, etc. to one side of the boat or the other. Nothing. Seriously, zero inconvenience. Zero hassle. You guys will just have to see this system work in person to appreciate it. It's extremely simple. The boat sits level in the water, just like when you're wakeboarding. At 11mph, the wave was big, meaty, and perfectly clean. The swim platform doesn't dig down into the water. The boat doesn't list or crab walk. You just drive straight and level and you have a perfect wave on one side. You can switch the wave from side to side with the push of a button. It litterally takes about 2-3 seconds for the wave to switch from regular to goofy. If you time it right, you can switch from side to side. It's really, really cool.

We were able to run through everyone who wanted to surf, both regular and goofy, without having any downtime moving people to one side of the boat or the other, pumping in or out any water, etc. When someone fell, you could easily turn left or right at idle speed and pick up the rider. There was no concern over shipping a roller over the side. Driving to pick up a rider who is regular foot forward was (to me) noticably easier, because, while sitting in the driver's seat, I was level with the water, and the boat wasn't leaning up and to the passenger side like I was used to, and I could pass the rider on the driver's side while seeing him/her clearly without having to stand up to do so.

When we were done surfing, we left the ballast in, ran the kiddos and wives back to the dock, and then took another round of sets on the wakeboard. We didn't have to pump in or out any water. Had it been a particularly long drive, we probably would have, but we didn't need to, because the boat wasn't leaning super hard to one side. As soon as the last kid was off the boat, we were able to just toss a handle to a rider and let him dockstart. The remainder of the weekend pretty much followed this routine. Some of you are young and have all the time in the world at your disposal. I would kill to be in that situation again. I have to make the most of what short down time I get. For the time it saved me alone in switching from surfing to wakeboarding, I love the surfgate system.

What are my initial real world impressions from spending a significant amount of time behind an LSV with the surfgate on it? Here they are:

(1) You can get a very nice wave out of an LSV with factory ballast, the wedge and the surfgate system deployed.

(2) People are still going to add weight to make the wave bigger.

(3) When adding 11 people to the factory ballast and wedge, the wave remained clean and just increased in size.

(4) At all times, with and without extra people, the wave had nice push and a long pocket.

(5) Being able to pull a surfer without having the boat list heavily to one side is much easier and, imo, much safer

(6) If you like to surf, there is a convenience factor here that cannot be adequately explained until you actually see and use a boat with this system on it.

(7) The purpose and effectiveness of the surfgate does not depend on increasing drag. It does not work like a wedge. I just don't believe that using the system will result in burning extra fuel.

(8) Being able to transition, very easily, from side to side, while riding, is really fun. People who are really good at surfing are going to create a whole new level of tricks with this system. I mean, imagine carving in hard, popping over the wave, and dropping in on the other side while a clean wave forms instantly under your feet.

Look, I'm not here saying that the surfgate is going to make me stop surfing behind my A22, and I'm not saying that it makes waves that you can get behind other boats inferior. It's just super, and I mean SUPER, convenient. It adds a level of safety by keeping the boat level. It adds the ability to transition from side to side while riding. It can be used with Robert's perfered 600lbs of ballast or with 3k in ballast. People are going to figure out how big they want their wave and weigh their boats accordingly.

I'm not going to try to lable the system as a "game changer". Blah blah blah. It is what it is. I'm just pumped that we're seeing more options being created and implemented, which have a direct impact on how we are able to use our boats, and what we can do with them. I really hope some people get a chance to demo this system themselves and chime in on this topic with usefull insight and with their own personal opinions."

Edited by CL-Rides

Ya time to open the Cali plant....surfgate has arrived! :biggrin:

Ohh yahhhh!!.

And, I know this "dude"...

edit.

In the vid.

ScreenShot001-20.gif

Edited by Pistol Pete

Correct it's delayed convergence of the wakes. So the gate opened on the opposite side delays the water from reconnection as it does for a wakeboard wake. It eventually rejoins further back.

Thanks for sharing your first hand insight, Malibudude. And thanks to the crew for being the crew.... I couldn't read through more than 1 or 2 pages at the other forum due to negative comments and brand bashing. I hope Malibu sells a ton of boats.

I couldn't read through more than 1 or 2 pages at the other forum due to negative comments and brand bashing.

What other forum?

This is the only good / real one.

• Like 2

After reading about this topic on both this and the "other" forum, I noticed a few people ask how deploying both surfgates would affect the wakeboard wake? I recall reading that they only remain deployed up to 12mph. However, if a person were to deploy both sides at wakeboarding speeds, I would think the only difference would be a significantly narrower wake at any given rope length since the surfgates would delay the convergence of the wakes. Could make it easier for beginners to go wake to wake.

Just wanted to share some thoughts.

One of the objections to gravity fed ballast on this forum has been the lack of "tunability" (to be able to weight particular sections of the boat individually). Here, surfgate is being pushed as "run heavy, don't worry about where the weight is."

Does that mean that specific placement of weight is no longer important for surfing?

If so, it seems like the ultimate surfsetter would have as much gravity fed ballast as is humanly possible.

I was just on the site and this doesn't look like a hard modification. To make it electric like the factory does it wouldn't be fun but to add a tab on a beefy hinge with a strut rod going to the wedge assembly...

Let's just say I see a home made Surfgate coming in the future. Not by this guy though. I don't surf.

Edited by Big Jay D

Does anybody know if Malibu has any plans to label a boat SURF SETTER...?

Seems like the next step with surfgate getting all this attention

I know there's been some buzz, but I figured it's just among the common folk...

I do think it'd be cool :rockon:

I think Malibudude says about 15 pages back that the patent was 'airtight' on this one.

I think I would like to hear a little more about how it might be against a patent to mount a vertically oriented trimtab to the side of my transom.