Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfgatewave

Malibudude

I did a generic search on published applications (i.e., not issued) that include the following words in the specification "boat" and "surf" and "wake." I got 41 hits. Then read the titles and nothing seemed to fit. Not perfect, but I can't image writing a patent application for surfgate without using those three word stems in the specifcation. I only scanned the titles of the 41 hits, it's possible I missed it.

I did these searches as a curious Malibu fan, not because I have any particular interest beyond curiosity.

Edited by Cory

I've never searched patents and probably won't for this since it's not an issue for me but, how possible is it that Malibu doesn't hold a patent on the setup? Maybe Malibu bought the technology from the patent holder and only named it "Surfgate"? What would you search for if the original patent wasn't for "Surfgate"? I hope Malibu does hold the patent or is in the process for it. It could help with the Bottom Line for the company if it's successful.

They have a patent on the Powerwedge, not on the manual versions.

Just got a message from a friend who rode behind an lsv with the gate this morning . He was raving about the wave. Said he didn't land the w2w 360 but it's doable. I'll post up a link to the video when I get it.

Edited by Jab31169

Just got a message from a friend who rode behind an lsv with the gate this morning . He was raving about the wave. Said he didn't land the w2w 360 but it's doable. I'll post up a link to the video when I get it.

Nice! Would love to see more real world feedback on this thread rather than the silly patent discussion ;)

• Like 2

The same boat that pulled the RedBull comp was in TN this past weekend pulling WakeFest (Great tournament put on by TNT Watersports by the way....anyone in the southeast should plan on checking it out next year). It had surf gate and I had the chance to check out the surf wake behind it. Overall, I was very impressed with the design and execution and what it did to the wake. It's a really smart, simple design. When I saw it, I assumed I knew how it worked but I'll admit I was 100% wrong in my assumptions. It's a simple design that works nothing like I expected.

It won't interfere with the wake at speed any more than the swim platform would.

The key thing about the surfgate is that it lets the boat basically sit level while surfing and produce a great wake with stock ballast. Sure, you can load a boat down like you would for a non-surfgate boat, but the point of the design was not to make the surf wave bigger or longer but to make it easier to set up, the same on both sides, and keep the reliability of the engine. The Malibu design addresses potential reliability issues as well as comfort and convenience.

It's nice to see all the manufacturers making innovations for the sport. The new Nautique G23 was at the same tournament. The wake was ridiculously big. Of course, it is a 5,700 pound boat with a very deep V hull with 3,000 pounds of ballast, but the size and shape was impressive. Kind of looked like a barge more than a boat to me but for a purpose built wake machine, it's damn impressive.

Couple comments on the patent side of things (not that anyone really cares):

Recently submitted patents (in the last 18 months or so) are not searchable.

If you have the skills, anyone could duplicate the Malibu design and modify their own boat in their garage. Generally speaking, if you aren't using the boat for commercial purposes, teaching other people how to modify their boat, or selling the boat or a kit, there is nothing substantial Malibu can do about it based on current US patent law.

I don't and I watched it.

Kind of weird looking how he just sunk at the end in the aerated water. Like some Bermuda Triangle stuff. Nice vid.

Small board

I logged out of facebook and I was able to view the video.

Dont know if this will work or not...

https://www.facebook...462996177053074

Cool video...thanks for posting.

Do I understand it correctly that Surfgate only deploys on one side at a time? So in the video, did the driver have to switch sides for the Surfgate at the same time the rider switched sides? And then on the way back across, it looks like maybe the wave hadn't formed up yet, so the timing of the deployment wasn't correct?

Do I understand it correctly that Surfgate only deploys on one side at a time? So in the video, did the driver have to switch sides for the Surfgate at the same time the rider switched sides? And then on the way back across, it looks like maybe the wave hadn't formed up yet, so the timing of the deployment wasn't correct?

Yes, it only deploys one side at a time. The driver has to push a button to make it switch to the other side and the rider would then switch at the same time. On the way back across it looks like he just decided to switch and the driver didn't do anything!

The opposite side of the surfer is the side the gate opens only. It is presently set to engage at 7mph and retract at 12mph. It takes roughly 5 sec for the gates to change.

Yes, it only deploys one side at a time. The driver has to push a button to make it switch to the other side and the rider would then switch at the same time. On the way back across it looks like he just decided to switch and the driver didn't do anything!

I wonder why only one side at a time. What would happen to the wake if they were both deployed?

I wonder why only one side at a time. What would happen to the wake if they were both deployed?

You'd turn your 20' boat into a 21.5' boat with a small parachute effect on the rear (assuming they rotate out past flat with the side of the hull).

The purpose is to delay convergence of the wakes behind you, making the off side of the boat "longer" is what shapes the surf side. Delaying both would negate that effect.

You'd turn your 20' boat into a 21.5' boat with a small parachute effect on the rear (assuming they rotate out past flat with the side of the hull).

The purpose is to delay convergence of the wakes behind you, making the off side of the boat "longer" is what shapes the surf side. Delaying both would negate that effect.

Got it, that makes sense.

That video is such a tease, 16 seconds long and just one angle with no details on ballast or speed or anything? Come on guys its almost as bad as the Malibu videos.

Someone needs to take 3 different boats out (LSV, MXZ, VLX) with a bunch of fatsacs and start doing some experimenting! :biggrin:

I am not an engineer nor do I play on TV. but it seems that by the pictures posted above that the surfgates are not real integrated with the hull. Just saying that I was expecting a real clean look at the back of the boat. But function is probally above fashion.

CB