Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfgatewave

Malibudude

I heard the 2014 will come with VW Marine diesle as an option.

Both gates won't deploy unless the boat is moving. Think of the built in safety feature on the power wedge.

So, the boat gets up to ~10 mph, gates deploy.

I heard that the 2013 V2.0 will allow both gates to be deployed at the same time so you can have two riders at the same time.

The thinking behind this idea was that you'll save a ton on fuel b'c you've got two peeps riding at once. I suppose you could have "surf wars" too. And, when the boat is put in reverse, both gates will deploy so that the boat backs up perfectly straight.

DANGEROUS!!! 2 riders at once? Never happen behind my boat. Too much risk. Last thing I would want is a board stabbing/slicing the other rider. It's bad enough when the rider gets a beat down from their own board.
  • Like 1

I'm surprised that no one is crying because he isn't wearing a life jacket.

Too late.

They're already breaking the law by filming people wake surfing at night. Oh wait, they did put in that disclaimer that said wake surfing at night is illegal but, it was ok for them.

DANGEROUS!!! 2 riders at once? Never happen behind my boat. Too much risk. Last thing I would want is a board stabbing/slicing the other rider. It's bad enough when the rider gets a beat down from their own board.

........and listing your boat with close to 3x the legal amount of weight is __________? :lol:

I've put over 700 hours on my boats in the past 5 1/2 seasons and logged many many hours behind other boats. We wakesurf a TON. I've never ever seen anyone injured from the board. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that it is apparently very rare. I guess all I'm getting at is that Surfgate + double surfing is much more safe than Over-Weighted Boat + single surfer.

The only bad part of Surfgate that I can see is that I am not going to be able to afford it in the near future :cry:

(..........unless it's able to be retrofitted onto my boat..... hmmmmmm......)

• Like 1

........and listing your boat with close to 3x the legal amount of weight is __________? :lol:

I've put over 700 hours on my boats in the past 5 1/2 seasons and logged many many hours behind other boats. We wakesurf a TON. I've never ever seen anyone injured from the board. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that it is apparently very rare. I guess all I'm getting at is that Surfgate + double surfing is much more safe than Over-Weighted Boat + single surfer.

The only bad part of Surfgate that I can see is that I am not going to be able to afford it in the near future :cry:

(..........unless it's able to be retrofitted onto my boat..... hmmmmmm......)

was told that retrofitting is a no-go on previous models and would be dangerous even if someone were to try it on a 2012. Right up there with crossing the street with an old lady.

was told that retrofitting is a no-go on previous models and would be dangerous even if someone were to try it on a 2012. Right up there with crossing the street with an old lady.

Bummer. Can anyone confirm this? I don't doubt it, just wonder why it's not possible.

Bummer. Can anyone confirm this? I don't doubt it, just wonder why it's not possible.

Displacing water is a very stressful operation. If you're doing it with a flap, I'm sure the transom needs to have glassed-in reinforcements to make it work.

Years ago they said adding all that water to a boat was bad too. I haven't seen it in person yet but it don't look that hard to engineer. The odds are I maybe the first to try too add it as of right now I plan on trying at least. I maybe way out of line. Like I said I haven't seen it in person. So if you have you may can tell me if I am way out of line. But if the wedge can be in the middle I don't see how the surf gate on the side can hurt. My 2 cents

There's two ways to look at this. Malibu is in the business to sell boats. They do not want people to be retrofitting power wedges or surfgate because they want people to buy the newest boat.

The other way to look at it is that there might actually be transom reinforcement and liability issues if installed incorrectly.

Either way I'll go ahead and predict that retrofitting won't be an option through Malibu or through dealers. Going to have to find a totaled 2013 to get the parts just like we have to do with the power wedge.

Years ago they said adding all that water to a boat was bad too. I haven't seen it in person yet but it don't look that hard to engineer. The odds are I maybe the first to try too add it as of right now I plan on trying at least. I maybe way out of line. Like I said I haven't seen it in person. So if you have you may can tell me if I am way out of line. But if the wedge can be in the middle I don't see how the surf gate on the side can hurt. My 2 cents

The Wedge is designed mostly to pull down with a shearing force on a reinforced area of the transom. If you look at how the fibers are aligned on the transom, the force is being introduced almost parallel to how they're oriented, making it strong. Now if you look at surfgate (still sounds like a scandal to me) you have a tab that's being held out into the flowing water forcefully. This tab is connected to a hydraulic ram that's putting a compressive force on the transom along a vector which doesn't really align with any of the glasswork on a boat not designed for the system.

IDK, but I'll bet there's reinforcements in the transom and hulls of the boats that get optioned out with surfgate. Seems like you'd need it.

The Wedge is designed mostly to pull down with a shearing force on a reinforced area of the transom. If you look at how the fibers are aligned on the transom, the force is being introduced almost parallel to how they're oriented, making it strong. Now if you look at surfgate (still sounds like a scandal to me) you have a tab that's being held out into the flowing water forcefully. This tab is connected to a hydraulic ram that's putting a compressive force on the transom along a vector which doesn't really align with any of the glasswork on a boat not designed for the system.

IDK, but I'll bet there's reinforcements in the transom and hulls of the boats that get optioned out with surfgate. Seems like you'd need it.

I'm betting there are going to be alot of people in measuring 2013 Surfgate boats as soon as they are on dealers lots and we will see some older boats with tabs mounted sideways. Its an amazingly simple idea, and is the beauty of the system. Its kinda one of those hit you in the face, "DAH, how simple and affective is that" and why hasn't someone thought of it before now! We were just using the "training bar' off the side of the tower yesterday with some small kids learning to ski, and at 13-14 miles and hour your could see the wake washy on one side and nice on the other from the boat crab walking, what the surfgate does. Alot of us have seen it happen often, just not smart enough to stop and think about it. :biggrin: I don't think its the end of sacing out boats to the limit, but it sure is a great idea that will make it safer for the average Joe, and create some new trick videos for us to watch.

From WW: "By the way, here's a picture of one of the gates on an MXZ that was in Tampa this weekend. It is in the deployed position in this photo to demonstrate how it works."

surfgate2.jpeg?dl=1

Edited by pkh

I'm betting there are going to be alot of people in measuring 2013 Surfgate boats as soon as they are on dealers lots and we will see some older boats with tabs mounted sideways. Its an amazingly simple idea, and is the beauty of the system. Its kinda one of those hit you in the face, "DAH, how simple and affective is that" and why hasn't someone thought of it before now! We were just using the "training bar' off the side of the tower yesterday with some small kids learning to ski, and at 13-14 miles and hour your could see the wake washy on one side and nice on the other from the boat crab walking, what the surfgate does. Alot of us have seen it happen often, just not smart enough to stop and think about it. :biggrin: I don't think its the end of sacing out boats to the limit, but it sure is a great idea that will make it safer for the average Joe, and create some new trick videos for us to watch.

There you go. Dual booms with drag chutes! :)

Without seeing it up close, one mod. that I think you need to make is to the swim platform. Looks tucked away more than previous years. I agree though, doesn't look too difficult to try...

• Like 1

The surgate is an option and isn't going to be retrofittable period.

The system in the above photos was having problems due to being sitting in saltwater, but even so you still get a great glimpse of how effective SG is. The boat is completely level. Simple by delaying the convergence of water from the opposite side of the surfer it creates a very nice shaped surf wake. Once you turn on the system it will engage at 7mph and disengage at 12mph, though those numbers may change. Simply press a button and it opens the opposite side gate in seconds. You run all currently factory ballast and wedge. For most the wake will be sweet and the pocket longer than I've ever produce with listing to one side.

There you go. Dual booms with drag chutes! :)

I just may have to try that... I wonder what to hang from the boom for drag :help:

Simple by delaying the convergence of water from the opposite side of the surfer it creates a very nice shaped surf wake. Once you turn on the system it will engage at 7mph and disengage at 12mph, though those numbers may change. Simply press a button and it opens the opposite side gate in seconds.

Seems like if it's just a channel in the back of the hull, it would just be a passage to allow one side of the wake to rise earlier than the other. Could make for a wave like a constant double-up. Want to see more.

So it's a flap instead of a channel, but what do I win? :)