Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfgatewave

Malibudude

Is it me or do most of the people in those video's except for the guy riding look like they have never been around a boat, wakeboard or wake surfer in their lives? The concept of surf gate is cool but I don't get why they wouldn't use some recognizable names in the industry (a la malibu pro riders) instead of some girl at a bar and a bunch of suits with their computers. We are supposed to believe that some corporate girl designed surf gate on a napkin while having lunch?

I don't know...these video's are weak. Surprised that they weren't able to come up with a better marketing concept. Maybe the payoff will be mind-blowing?

Yeah, great point. I get how they want to stir up interest and make things very hush hush...that's cool. But even though these videos are slickly produced there is a certain cheese factor. Getting some pro riders would give it more credibility for sure. Heck, why not have the pro riders as the "actors"...they couldn't do any worse.

Isn't that grubb riding? I thought it was, then if you look at the sponsors on the board, Malibu, Red bull, Billabong. Those are his big three.... Just sayin

yes

Grubb is a pro rider, he's the one behind the boat. That's all that matters. Had pro riders been the ones prior, still would have been a cheese factor.

I just want the light set up for night riding :)

Grubb is a pro rider, he's the one behind the boat. That's all that matters. Had pro riders been the ones prior, still would have been a cheese factor.

I just want the light set up for night riding :)

I don't mind the cheese factor. I get that Grubb is riding behind the boat. My point is he is the only guy in the video that looks like he belongs around these boats. I think they should have had pro riders as the actors too. Still would have been cheesy. Regardless of who designed surf gate having the illusion that a bunch of pro riders designed it as opposed to the corporate lawyer on her lunch break. Heck dress the pro riders in suits as the actors.

Anyways, it's obvious that I am taking this way too seriously. My vote is they should have put monkey's as the actors...and a monkey surfing the wave too! Then I would really be impressed with surf gate!! I would probably watch the videos over and over again just to see a monkey surf or a squirrel would be good too a la Ron Burgundy. I've clearly lost it... :crazy:

Well this Surfgate better be the best thing to come out since the tower because these Surfgate tease videos are lame and short and a complete waste of time. I wonder how much money was wasted on this garbage. I'd like to know who the hell decided on these one minute tease videos that don't tell you or show you anything, all they do for me is get me pissed off at the crap they are feeding us. Show us the goods don't tease us with this nonsense. What a joke. :rant:

Probbaly not as much a renting a hanger at Orlando airport and flying in team riders on a citation for the G23 launch. Like the videos or not, the thread is 11 pages talking about SOMETHING that no one has a picture of to share.

Yeah, but riders don't design boats. They may have some input on what they want, or need, but engineers still "make it work"

Malibu team riders have been behind it and are quite amazed. Actually riders do have input and affect the designs and how things are applied.

Not sure if anyone has been following the thread over on WW, but this sure seems like a good idea, yes we can all pick apart the flaws in it, but it sure is thinking in the rite direction. Thought it was worth mentioning and think that the Surfgate could be somewhat similar?

I am seriously in the wrong line of work. All of a sudden I want to grow my hair out and earn the title: Lengendary Waterman.

No way would I want that system as it is presented, filling/draining every pull?... although that is some hard thinking of different ways of doing things.

I've watched that on WW some. How someone has not pointed out that the if the boat is on plane that the rear vertical wall of the hull is no longer under water is beyond me. In other words, sure, it'll fill quick sitting still. If the concept was partyly to lessen the planing weight of a boat then how ya gonna get it full while on plane?

I've watched that on WW some. How someone has not pointed out that the if the boat is on plane that the rear vertical wall of the hull is no longer under water is beyond me. In other words, sure, it'll fill quick sitting still. If the concept was partyly to lessen the planing weight of a boat then how ya gonna get it full while on plane?

In the down/fill position the gate extends below the hull forcing the water to divert into the tank.

Watch the video closely. In the "fill" position that gate extends below the hull, acting as a scupper, forcing the tank to fill. That's how all the water comes shooting out of the side "vent" for the tank- it's being forced into the tank that hard. That's why the air vent needs to be the same size as the intake in back.

uh, you should watch the video 85...

Watch the video closely. In the "fill" position that gate extends below the hull, acting as a scupper, forcing the tank to fill. That's how all the water comes shooting out of the side "vent" for the tank- it's being forced into the tank that hard. That's why the air vent needs to be the same size as the intake in back.

You know what, you're right! I actually had watched the video when it was posted and was only prompted again about the system from the title picture of the video with the open hole...woops...haha

I am seriously in the wrong line of work. All of a sudden I want to grow my hair out and earn the title: Lengendary Waterman.

No way would I want that system as it is presented, filling/draining every pull?... although that is some hard thinking of different ways of doing things.

It's "a little rough" right now but how is filling and draining every pull any different than having the wedge come up and down?

I think a final design would need the mechanicals inside some sort of false transom (inside the boat rather than outside).

The better question to me is if it fills in three seconds, how do you fill it half full and how do you balance the boat?

Edited by shawndoggy

It's "a little rough" right now but how is filling and draining every pull any different than having the wedge come up and down?

I think a final design would need the mechanicals inside some sort of false transom (inside the boat rather than outside).

The better question to me is if it fills in three seconds, how do you fill it half full and how do you balance the boat?

MEchanicals probably need to stay outside for service purposes?

As for filling an amount less than full, how about baffles and routing that will just dump (route the incoming water out) at different levels? In other words, if want it half full, water coming in just dumps out exit prior to tank filling all the way. Close that gate and let tank fill all the way for full tank?

Shawn -- when I go out to surf, the wedge goes down once, and it stays down. Small adjustments to get it dialed in. When I fill my tanks/bags, they stay filled till I am done. I dont bring the wedge up and down, or drain and fill pumps for every pull.

His system requires you to drain ballast every time the rider falls, and then refill evertime you get to speed? OMG PITA. all on the premise that the 350 motor cant plane the weight if it were filled from a stand still.

Shawn -- when I go out to surf, the wedge goes down once, and it stays down. Small adjustments to get it dialed in. When I fill my tanks/bags, they stay filled till I am done. I dont bring the wedge up and down, or drain and fill pumps for every pull.

His system requires you to drain ballast every time the rider falls, and then refill evertime you get to speed? OMG PITA. all on the premise that the 350 motor cant plane the weight if it were filled from a stand still.

Doesn't your 2011 have Auto Wedge???

Also- I'm guessing a system like this can be setup to be automatic, just like all our presets, and auto wedge is now. Once the boat is up to speed, the gates open by themselves for 2 or 3 seconds, fill the tanks, and close themselves. Maybe something like this could even work with timers to fill the tanks to an approximate level if you don't want them full. Maybe there could even be a button to bump them open partially, for a split second to add or subtract ballast as needed. This system is obviously in it's infancy at this point, just like Purevert was when you needed to manually open gate valves. Give it some time and I'm sure lots could happen with it.

As far as limiting the spread of invasive species, this is the best system I've seen to date.

I've never had a powerwedge, so take my comments with a grain of salt, but it sure seems like I've read threads here about people not deploying till on plane for wakeboarding?

To the extent the system were automated it seems like you'd not really even notice it working. An off-plane autodump would sure add a measure of safety to slumped boats too (though the trend seems to be to more freeboard).

Yes it has autowedge--- but thats only down to a specified preset--beginner, inter, advanced.... and then the go home that drain drains tanks and pulls the wedge up when you idle forward. you def dont go up and down with the wedge for every pull, you cant adjust the wedge at speeds over 15-16 mph. Luckily you can in the 10-12mph surf speeds, and it does make a big difference in what the wave does.

I guess it would work if the Insta-fill were tied in to the perfect pass, when you hit your desired speed, it filled on its own, and then as soot as you slowed down off perfect pass, it drained on its own.

Your rite I would not want it as presented ether, (and I have been one of the ones somewhat not on board with the purevert system so far) BUT if a big manufacturer like Malibu has tweaked this system, (and kept the sleek/classy/comfortable interior look they have now?) I think its a good concept. I still don't think its going to completely do away with reproping, or wanting a bigger motor, but if the tanks were big enough I can sure see it making things a bit safer! If the tank was hooked to perfect pass to dump as soon as the throttle was moved, it could dump alot of water weight, and remember its being forced in, so you should be able to get water above the water line with this setup? If you could potentially dump 1500-2000lbs of ballast each time you stopped for a down rider, how much safer would you feel? I really think its a good concept!

Yes it has autowedge--- but thats only down to a specified preset--beginner, inter, advanced.... and then the go home that drain drains tanks and pulls the wedge up when you idle forward. you def dont go up and down with the wedge for every pull, you cant adjust the wedge at speeds over 15-16 mph. Luckily you can in the 10-12mph surf speeds, and it does make a big difference in what the wave does.

I guess it would work if the Insta-fill were tied in to the perfect pass, when you hit your desired speed, it filled on its own, and then as soot as you slowed down off perfect pass, it drained on its own.

I dont have Auto-wedge, but this is not how it was explained to me. I was under the impression that it automatically went to the down position after you let off the throttle and did not re-engage until you were at speed again:

http://malibuboats.blogspot.ca/2008/10/malibu-auto-wedge-boosts-performance.html