Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Convinced of the Wet Sounds REV 10

Smalsv

NorrisMike,

I wouldn't worry about the difference in 77 watts. That is at 14.4 volts and an unregulated amplifier will lose about 30 percent of its rated 14.4 volt power with a 12 volt supply. So even at 13.5 volts you will never exceed 400 watts and we have routinely run that power level with regulated amplification that does not drop off in power as the voltage declines. Also, power ratings are at 1kHz typically and the power bandwidth is often in serious decline at 100Hz for example.

By the time a contemporary amplifier reaches its .1 percent distortion level for rating purposes it has pretty much reached a brick wall on the power. Past that the distortion shoots straight up. And in a 4-ohm brided or 2-ohm stereo mode you have very little to no dynamic headroom available. In other words, you are already at redline. Even with poorly recorded music that has no more than 10dB of dynamic range, to run 500 watts peak means you are only running a mere fraction of that in true continuous power. So if you keep the amplifier out of compression its unlikely that you would ever exceed the speaker's thermal power rating. The problem comes in when you overdrive the amplifier and there is no longer much dynamic contrast in the material. This is where you can still have damage potential with far less of an amplifier.

So if it sounds clean with fresh ears you are good. Just make sure that those same numeric levels are adhered to when underway and at the end of a long afternoon.

David

I am running two pairs of Rev10s with a pair of arc audio ks600's amps.. And they rip!! Two weekends ago a close friend of mine who just had a full exile system installed with four xm9's took two pulls behind my boat and immediately went home and removed his xm's and ordered rev10's!! This things are truly awesome you wont regret spending the extra scratch on these!

If this is indeed the case, (doubt it) I'd be interested in the removed gear.

I didn't realize the Revs were 300 rms. I figured 400 since thats what everybody seems to say. The amp specs are for the new phantom series P900.4 Precision Power mini amp that I posted earlier. These are very impressive little amps that push a lot of power. They have great reviews in the car audio world. Apparently PPI is trying to make a come back after making a bunch of junk for years. Yes, this is what I am running to my Rev10's currently. I am now wondering if I should get a less powerful amp....? I'd hate to trash the speakers.

A dealer told me that Tim @ Wetsounds was running 700 watts ea and they took it but didn't recommend it. I never confirmed this to be true though.

Thanks for sharing, I will look in to them, these are the out of the box options I like to consider. I will try to find some 3rd party bench testing on them, since they arent CEA compliant/tested.

Along these lines of budget and quality... but for subwoofer amps... Audioque has been on a rampage with their amps, and for the money and for the power they are hard to beat.

If this is indeed the case, (doubt it) I'd be interested in the removed gear.

I called dibs first (see page 2), contacted the poster via PM and he said that his buddy was sending them back to Exile. ;)

nyryan2001 - ask and you shall receive! Here is where I got those specs.

http://www.pasmag.co...9004-amplifier-

I have talked to a couple dealer/installers that sell much more "higher end" car audio electronics and they both said that these are the real deal. There is chatter about these amps all over the car audio forums and they have seriously impressed me. I have the p600.2 bridged to a Image Dynamics 12" sub and it pounds pretty good. To top it off the footprint is only 6"x6.5". These are very small amps with big power and a sweet crossover system. Oh and the price is right too - you can get the p900.4 for just over $200 and the p600.2 for around $150.

nyryan2001 - ask and you shall receive! Here is where I got those specs.

http://www.pasmag.co...9004-amplifier-

I have talked to a couple dealer/installers that sell much more "higher end" car audio electronics and they both said that these are the real deal. There is chatter about these amps all over the car audio forums and they have seriously impressed me. I have the p600.2 bridged to a Image Dynamics 12" sub and it pounds pretty good. To top it off the footprint is only 6"x6.5". These are very small amps with big power and a sweet crossover system. Oh and the price is right too - you can get the p900.4 for just over $200 and the p600.2 for around $150.

The article says it is 10.5” x 6.75” x 2” tall. Still a pertty tiny footprint relative to my old PPI PCX4125. That beast was around 24 inches long and 12 inches wide.

• Like 1

I"ll tell you one thing, this is a LARGE tower speaker. you can only imagine that if 10" speakers are used that is some size, but the really look big. Very impressive sound. For all of you who already own them, I was slightly disappointed in the lack of volume I had at the back of boat for surfing, but I guess that has everything to do with how I have them pointed. the sound is actually going over my head. I'm sure if I simply re-positioned them, that would easily taken care of. No big deal that can't be adjusted. I'm doing more surfing these days than wake boarding. My 45 year old knees are certainly more tolerant of surfing. I can still get out there and kick it on the wakeboard with the best of them, but am realistic about my expectations long term. I seem to have lost most of my friends who I used to ride with me regularly (who are 40-55 years old). We have all been wake boarding for the last 15 years. We all sold out about 5 years ago and went to the land for entertainment. I had really missed the lake lifestyle and wanted back in. Bought my 01 LSV in Jan of this year and have spent the last 5 month installing ballast system, stereo, surf/wake racks, etc. Sure have spent some money, but have really enjoyed the experience of custom outfitting the LSV with all the latest goodies. My family loves the lake. And I enjoy my family being on the lake with me.

I"ll tell you one thing, this is a LARGE tower speaker. you can only imagine that if 10" speakers are used that is some size, but the really look big. Very impressive sound. For all of you who already own them, I was slightly disappointed in the lack of volume I had at the back of boat for surfing, but I guess that has everything to do with how I have them pointed. the sound is actually going over my head. I'm sure if I simply re-positioned them, that would easily taken care of.

Surely something is wrong. For surfing, I do not turn them up or they hurt my ears. It may be just the direction they are pointed, but unless they are pointed straight up, I am not sure if the direction is your only problem. Fill us in on what you think when you point them back better. I have mine pointed such that when wakeboarding, the speakers are flat to the water. Since the boat rides a little bow up, then the speakers go up a little when the boat is at rest.

For all of you who already own them, I was slightly disappointed in the lack of volume I had at the back of boat for surfing, but I guess that has everything to do with how I have them pointed. the sound is actually going over my head. I'm sure if I simply re-positioned them, that would easily taken care of. No big deal that can't be adjusted.

Brother, if you have Rev 10s on a T800 bridged, at max Vol, and you are 10ft behind the boat, your ears should be bleeding.

Are you sure you have it bridged, gained, tuned and setup correctly?

Snap some pics of the connection side of the T800, exactly as you have it wired now, where all the wires and adjustments are, and post them up where we can see how you did it.

You got something wrong in there.

• Like 1

To put this in comparison, I have the rev10s on a T600 bridged, and it's difficult to carry on a conversation at 80ft anywhere behind the boat in party cove, at 12.3- 12.6v with the engine off. At 14.4v with motor running, you can expect 20-30% more power.

Somethings not right with your setup, and angle adjustment with that much speaker, that much power, would have little effect.

I have them pointed in a "level" position. One thing to note: I'm dealing with the noise of the exhaust a bit. Stock exhaust, so there is no increase in volume from the two exhaust tailpipes (stern mounted under swim platform). I'm sure a small downward adjustment would take care of such a small problem. I've been on vacation for the last ten days, so I haven't tested the new setup in 11 days. I'll re-adjust them to a more downward (slighty) position next weekend. i'm sure that will take care of the slight complaint. No big deal.

I had a local stereo shop (Cartunes--Jason Vickers--great guy and a true professional) install the amp and Rev 10s. I know amps myself. I checked his wiring and setup. It has properly been bridged for both speaker outputs.