Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Convinced of the Wet Sounds REV 10

Smalsv

Just got the Rev10s in the today. They look awesome. I'll have them installed on Monday. Rockford M600-4D I have to mate to them I"m questioning a bit. It's performance sheet says 786 RMS Watts performance, but I'm not used to Digital amps being so light in weight. Back in the day, if the amp wasn't heavy in weight, it wasn't worth a dime. Light meant cheap!!!!!! I'm not sure I'm not going to mate them to a Rockford T800 ad (400 X 2 RMS). I'll certainly hafta drop a bit more money, but I want PERFORMANCE and CLEAN POWER!!!!!!!!!. I'm sure this will stir you guys up a bit.

Having a quality signal and source as well as a quality amp, will be bigger factors in the sound quality that you receive from a speaker, more then sheer wattage alone. I wouldn't hesitate to rock the 300W x 2 RMS amp that you have.

Just got the Rev10s in the today. They look awesome. I'll have them installed on Monday. Rockford M600-4D I have to mate to them I"m questioning a bit. It's performance sheet says 786 RMS Watts performance, but I'm not used to Digital amps being so light in weight. Back in the day, if the amp wasn't heavy in weight, it wasn't worth a dime. Light meant cheap!!!!!! I'm not sure I'm not going to mate them to a Rockford T800 ad (400 X 2 RMS). I'll certainly hafta drop a bit more money, but I want PERFORMANCE and CLEAN POWER!!!!!!!!!. I'm sure this will stir you guys up a bit.

just food for thought: what are you useing to power your inboat speakers? How many inboats do you have?

use the 600-4 to upgrade the power to your inboats.... and then you can upgrade to the t800 for the Rev10s. That T800 will be perfect for the rev 10s.

Smalsv,

In another era heat sink mass (a combination of size and weight) was critical to the amplifier's thermal performance. But consider this...

A typical Class AB amplifier will draw 500 watts of supply to produce 250 watts of output to the speakers. 250 watts is converted to heat.

A typical Class D amplifier will draw 312.5 watts of supply to produce 250 watts of output to the speakers. 62.5 watts is converted to heat.

The Class AB will have to dissipate four times the energy through the heatsink versus the Class D at the identical output power. So the Class AB will probably have four times the heatsink mass to deliver the same thermal stability.

David

I'm running a Kicker 750.5 on four Kicker 6.5s and one Rockford 12" P3. I also have two Kicker 6.5 bow speakers with the OEM JVC 50 X 4 (which I"m using two channels). My in boat sound is excellent. Plenty of sub with 420 watts in the 2 ohm load of the 12" P3. I have all the bass I could ask for matched with this in boat system. I'm simply needing loud detailed sound for my riders (wake boarders, surfers, and tubers). Clarion marine deck with IPod friendly hookup with remote on stern.

<p style="text-align: left; ">Well, it's going to be that Rockford T800 4ad I was contemplating. Once I put both amps in my hands, it was an easy decision. Tested at 946 RMS watts. That should get those Rev10s rocking. Nothing like good clean power with little or no distortion. Distortion is everyone's enemy when it comes to audio. As I'm writ ing this, I'm listening to about $125K of McIntosh home audio my buddy has in his home. AMAZING sound quality!!!. Clean as a whistle. I'm just too cheap to drop that kind of cash on Home Audio. Don't get me wrong, I've got some nice home audio myself, but no to this level. My hat's off to his success. give credit where credit is due. Nothing wrong with any of us enjoying the fruits of our labor. Nothing at all. I'll get these components installed on Monday and we'll just see how everything comes together. I'm expecting absolute success. That what happens when you have good information based on facts and you execute that plan. SUCCESS!!!!!! That should always be the goal.</p>

Well Gentleman, Rev 10s are the BOMB!!! Everything I expected. I wasn't that impressed until I completely turned down the independent volume control of the Rev 10s. I was truly impressed with what had been added. And the volume at 50 yards, exactly what my goals had been. Very nice. I greatly appreciate all the help on the decision. your influence on both the tower speakers and amplifier were spot on. I'm really glad I upgraded to the higher output amp. Very clean and LOUD!!!!!!!! Thanks. Success. Nothing like it.

Well Gentleman, Rev 10s are the BOMB!!! Everything I expected. I wasn't that impressed until I completely turned down the independent volume control of the Rev 10s. I was truly impressed with what had been added. And the volume at 50 yards, exactly what my goals had been. Very nice. I greatly appreciate all the help on the decision. your influence on both the tower speakers and amplifier were spot on. I'm really glad I upgraded to the higher output amp. Very clean and LOUD!!!!!!!! Thanks. Success. Nothing like it.

Pics or it didn't happen. :whistle:

Edited by JTech

yep, you gott post pics of your setup.

I need to get into a Class D or Class H for my Rev 10s. The T600 I have is an AB, sounds great, amazing sound, but this weekend the ambient air temp on the water was 106.... inside the cubby maybe 110-115 or more, T600 was screaming hot. Lots of wasted energy there.

Surprisingly my (cheapie) sub amp, Re XTX 5000.1 doing 2500watts at 1 ohm, slamming for 45 mins straight in the same hot compartment, was cool to the touch, air temp!

The 2 most prominent class H's are the Syn4 and the KS600.2 correct? are there any other big hitters that I am missing that do 400ish x 2 @4ohms?

yep, you gott post pics of your setup.

I need to get into a Class D or Class H for my Rev 10s. The T600 I have is an AB, sounds great, amazing sound, but this weekend the ambient air temp on the water was 106.... inside the cubby maybe 110-115 or more, T600 was screaming hot. Lots of wasted energy there.

Surprisingly my (cheapie) sub amp, Re XTX 5000.1 doing 2500watts at 1 ohm, slamming for 45 mins straight in the same hot compartment, was cool to the touch, air temp!

The 2 most prominent class H's are the Syn4 and the KS600.2 correct? are there any other big hitters that I am missing that do 400ish x 2 @4ohms?

My understanding is that the new Wetsounds Sinister Amp line will be able to accomplish this. These will be a class D amp and some would argue they are a bit more efficient tham the Class H. The SD-2 will do 400x2 at 4 ohms and I would imagine that it is no where are bulky as the Arc 600.2

Edited by Murphy8166

Sometime in July per Tim. They are not on the website and I don't even think that any pictures have been released either.

I'm imterested to see what they look like - the test reoprts show mid 80's percentages for efficiency across all loads....rumor is they they dont really even get that hot.

I am all about pushing the limits on the Rev10s with power, but putting 477w on them at 14.4v is a little steep for me untill I hear or see folks doing it without issues.

If that is a true 477w while running, even if tuned well, and no clipping... that still a substantial thermal load for a 10" to deal with, in a closed canister, with a relatively small magnet and basket.

if you look at other subs and speaker in the 500w 10" category, you start seeing all sorts of venting, screening and holes in the back of the magnet to pull heat off coil.

Wife had a serious fit on the upgrade from the Pro80s, it'd be a bad discussion to tell her I need another set because I blew them plus now a 3rd amp because this one is too big.

A Class D or Class H 400w constant power 12-14.4v amp would be really really nice.

Comparing that type of power to a 10-inch woofer really puts things into perspective because 400 watts is a ton of power for any single driver tower speaker.

You can make any speaker handle more power by a number of means but past a point the side effect directly impacts sound quality, bandwidth and sensitivity. And, tower speakers cannot afford to give up sensitivity.

We have routinely used a strictly regulated amplifier that is conservatively rated at 750 watts. It delivers over 400 watts to each speaker even with a lower 12 volt supply.

At that power level you are certainly going to experience some dynamic compression on the part of the speaker. That means that not all the power is available and some is being wasted on an increased basis as you elevate the power. The speaker will become less efficient in converting power at some point.

As it is, a wildly efficient speaker would be 5 percent efficient at best. So 95 percent of that power is wasted and converted into heat.

A speaker can't discern the quality of a signal whether clean or distorted. Clipping simply becomes more of an issue as the power is sustained for more of the waveform and is in transition for less of the waveform. And that means less time to dissipate the heat build up. Power kills speakers whether by clipping at a lower level or just too much clean power.

So if you are considering running 400 watts to each single driver tower speaker then do it for the extra short burst dynamics and percieved increase in contrast and clarity under better listening conditions and not an increase in average output at wake range.

There will be a risk. And it will be up to the boat owner to take extra care of his possessions. You must be able to recognize the first signs of amplifier compression and be very disciplined when underway where you can no longer hear the signs. And as the day grows longer and your human auditory system becomes seriously tramatized you can't hear the first signs of compression.

Frankly, I could run 400 watts to each speaker for years without risk because I have zero tolerance for distortion/compression. Others will need a governor. You know who you are.

David

Are you saying that anything over 400 watts continuous is dangerous to the speaker? Even 77 measly watts? I wouldn't think that would push them into the danger zone but you obviously know much more than me :)

I didn't realize the Revs were 300 rms. I figured 400 since thats what everybody seems to say. The amp specs are for the new phantom series P900.4 Precision Power mini amp that I posted earlier. These are very impressive little amps that push a lot of power. They have great reviews in the car audio world. Apparently PPI is trying to make a come back after making a bunch of junk for years. Yes, this is what I am running to my Rev10's currently. I am now wondering if I should get a less powerful amp....? I'd hate to trash the speakers.

A dealer told me that Tim @ Wetsounds was running 700 watts ea and they took it but didn't recommend it. I never confirmed this to be true though.

Well it seems like 400 is what everyone shoots for. 400 watts is also considered safe. I'm curious if the additional 77 watts would push them into the "Danger Zone". This might just take a phone call to find out!