Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

07 vride cabin speakers - remove windshield to replace?

snowrider

Want to replace my cabin speakers and wondering who has or hasn't had to remove the windshield to replace the driver side dash speaker? Thanks

For my 2007 wakesetter, I just did it by following directions in postings on this forum. It was easy. Although I was very worried of breaking the windshield as I did it by myself. Took me about an hour to take port and starboard side off. Would have been quicker if Malibu didnt use extremely long bolts which could have been 70% shorter !!! Basically you pull rubber off, unscrew bunch of screws which are under the rubber. Then there's about 4 bolts (near front and under rubber) which you need to undo by taking the nuts off from underneath the dash. After all screws are out, its still stuck there and with a little push/pull/lift it comes off.

I ended up getting larger speakers which did not fit and used a wholesaw to cut fiberglass from underneath. I put in the JL M650s. Sounds great.

Edited by JoeMama

i have an 08 Sunscape and was able to remove mine with an allen wrench. The screws were socket head cap screws and so i was able to get a good grip on them. IT probably took about 30 minutes for each speaker.

When i put the new speakers in, I used phillips head, slightly shorter, and an angle screwdriver.

Not fun or easy, but I did not have to remove the windshield.

I'm trying to do the same thing on my '04 VLX. Problem for me is, the speakers I'm pulling out have 4 screws, and the new ones have 5. It's impossible to get a drill back there to drill new holes for the forward-most screws. Any tricks?

if you are replacing with the exact same speakers, then you might be able to get in there with the removable head of a screw driver. however, if you are replacing with different speakers, then it is very likely you will have to remove the windshield. When i replaced mine with Exiles, i was not able to get enough pressure to drill through the plastic for the new screw holes.

Like JoeMama said, it is pretty simple. i do suggest that you have 2 people to help you move the windshield so that you dont drop it and make your project a whole lot more expensive.

• 8 years later...
30 minutes ago, 05wkstr21xti said:

Does anyone happen to know what tool was used to drill new holes?  The link does not work anymore.

thanks!

Just pull the windshield.  People make way too big of a deal out of this; it isn't that hard.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Just pull the windshield.  People make way too big of a deal out of this; it isn't that hard.

Couldn't agree more.  I just removed the screws to the curve and carefully pulled the windshield up and towards the bow, wedged a rag in there to hold it.  Plenty of room to get those speakers out and back in.