Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion X Tower Bushing Replacement is EASY TO DO!

If I had know how easy this was, I would have done it years ago!!

Our Tower has the Z5 rack and with the additional weight of the rack and all the gear you can pile on the top, the tower bushing got sloppy and the tower clunked when we hit big waves so we decided to change them out. The bushings can be had through Bakes Marine.

Here is how easy it really is:

We put a 6 foot ladder in the boat as a place to rest the tower when all the pins and bolts were removed.

The Rear bushings are super simple, tilt the tower down towards the dash, grab a deep well socket with a rubber mallet and tap them out. They come out really easy and go in just as easy.

The Front bushings you will need 2 people to do, one to hold the tower up and the other to remove and install the new bushings. Once again this is a very simple approach to achieve a monumental result; it is a matter of 5 mins. With both rear pins and front bolts out of the tower, lift the tower up JUST enough to expose the front bushing, pull the side caps off with your fingers and with a deep well socket tap the front bushing out - they come out easy. Then reinstall the front swivel bushing with the deep well socket and the rubber mallet- again, it does not take the incredible hulk strength as they go in pretty easy. The swivel bushing needs to be installed in the center of the hole, you can feel with your fingers how far in on the front and back and close counts here.

**Key to success** Lower the tower so that it sits as it would in the upright position, put the pins into the Rear bushings, they are a little snug and may take the rubber mallet to get them in all the way. THIS aligns the tower front bushings so there is no guessing as to getting the front mounting bolts in place. With your helper lifting the tower just a little- Look with a flashlight in the front hole to get a reference of what the gap of the tower to base looks like, once you think you are aligned tap the front bolt in through the bushing until you here it touch the metal side. (do not pound, just tap easily) Start rotating the screw, if you are lucky the screw will grab and start going in, if you have not won the lottery yet like me, tap the allen wrench with the rubber mallet lightly as you are turning the bolt, this will push the splined secton of the bolt through the new swivel bushing and it will catch. Then you can the screw it in and proceed to the other side.

So what takes a matter of 20 mins results in NOT a little play in your tower, there is NO PLAY in your tower. NONE!

it is completely tight without any play at all.

WELL WORTH THE TIME AND MONEY TO DO.

Call Andrew at Bakes, he has the kit to replace the tower bushings.

Tools Needed

6 foot ladder

rubber mallet

5/8" deep well socket

13/16" deep well socket

5/16" allen wrench

Edited by JAXONBOATS
  • Thanks 1

It is my pleasure. This was something we had lived with and not knowing the “how to” allowed me to procrastinate but now that it is done, I will always change them sooner then later.

I don't think my illusion tower has bushings in the rear.

Is this possible?

'05 Vride

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have an 05 and it doesn't have bushings in the back either. I'm gonna need to sleeve the holes as they are starting to egg out.

I am glad you posted this.

First stupid question, your picture looks like mine. I thought these were the Illusion towers.

Are you talking about the tower section where it bends? Cause mine keeps rattling and those circle things that lock the tower keep on popping out on me. Its annoying and plus it rattles. Would love to fix it. If you could post pictures and links to parts that would be AWESOME !!!

• 2 months later...

JAXONBOATS - Thanks for your post! I was able to replace my front and rear bushings (07 LSV) with the "kit" from Bake's. The replacement went pretty much as you decsribed. It took 2 of us a little over an hour and the tower slop is definitly reduced. The ladder or something to prop up the tower is important.

There were a couple of differences on my Illusion Tower versus your instructions. The front bolts needed a 3/8" allen wrench. The rear bushings needed to be filed on the outside flange to allow enough clearance to raise the tower and insert the pins. I had to adjust the outside pin plate on one side to gain alignment to allow that pin to go in.

Overall a great upgrage and great to handle without a dealer service trip.

It is my pleasure. This was something we had lived with and not knowing the “how to” allowed me to procrastinate but now that it is done, I will always change them sooner then later.

I just bought an 09 VLX and for now my tower seems just fine but I do have a friend with an 08 LSV and his tower rattles quite a bit and he is constantly having to mess with his tower. Where would I find details on my tower and whether or not your recommendation would be required when I start having issues?

This is a good thread!

Check out my thread from last year. ~40 hours later with my custom bushings, it rattles under really heavy chop, but that is the normal flex, as the tower is crap. Other than that it is rock solid: