Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Amp Rack getting Dripped On

Murphy8166

So we had the passenger side of the boat slammed today and we were doing some surfing and the sub went out. I opened up the compartment and there was some water on the amp and the amp fuses were toast (arc audio KS 1000.1)

We shut it down for the day....but I trying to figure out where the leak is. It is coming from above and the amp rack is the standard malibu amp rack...

It does not look like it is coming from vent...could it be coming from under the rub rail?

Any ideas

I had a similar event last year but did not blow the fuses. At the time, I believed the water came in through the vent but have not been been in a similar situation (rain or waves) to investigate further.

The fit of the external vent is definitely suspicious from day one.

Maybe not on this particular boat, but drink holders without a drain into the bilge can be a serious problem. Home Depot has all the parts (hose, clamps, fittings,'T's, adapters, etc.) to remedy this.

Water can travel horizontally down a wiring harness as unlikely as that may seem. You can use a rubber/cork or similar material to create a stop and introduce a drip loop in a controlled manner.

If you take a serious roller it's a good idea to shut down the stereo immediately. The chances of electronics damage is far greater while passing current.

If you know for certain that the electronics got wet inside then remove it as soon as possible, remove the shroud, dry it out with a hair dryer and cleanse it with tuner wash.

If water exposure has been repetitive then there may be evidence of corrosion or the accumulation of a white powdery residue. Use a very soft bristle tooth brush with tuner wash to clean it up.

David

Wow- thanks for all the responses...

The are no cupholders in the cockpit area of the passenger dash so no problem there, there are cupholders up front but the are lower than the drip point so I don t think that is problem either.

The fact that water could be coming running down a wiring harness is a real possiblity and i will have to check that out....I think I am going to get the garden hose out and see if I can find the leak tomorrow.