Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas Cap Chain

Anyone know of a source for the chain and connectors that are used on gas caps? I have tried the lighting stores and Home Depot, etc, but all they have is the smaller pull chain and connectors that are used for lamps. It seems our gas cap chains are larger, and I want to put on a piece of longer chain so as not to get the gas cap caught between the dock and rub rail when it hangs down for fill ups.

Don't ask me how I know that the slightest movement of the boat up against the dock will snap that chain and send the gas cap to the bottom of the lake...

Edit:

My first attempt at a search on this topic was a bust -- too many small words. Another shot at it using bigger words turned up a source of the chain at Ace Hardware. Will check that out.

Edited by River Rat

Anyone know of a source for the chain and connectors that are used on gas caps? I have tried the lighting stores and Home Depot, etc, but all they have is the smaller pull chain and connectors that are used for lamps. It seems our gas cap chains are larger, and I want to put on a piece of longer chain so as not to get the gas cap caught between the dock and rub rail when it hangs down for fill ups.

Don't ask me how I know that the slightest movement of the boat up against the dock will snap that chain and send the gas cap to the bottom of the lake...

I've lost one that way. Mine is actually a coated, thin wire rope. Best thing to do is to get a long enough chain so that you can put the cap on the sunpad.
Thanks for this link. Looks like you can use the heavy wire that is used to hang pictures on the wall. You can buy those kits at Home Depot/Lowes. I broke mine and the other day, I just linked the pieces together with safety wire, but now I got thinking and I have a frame kit at home, so I may look at this option.

I found it at Ace Hardware.... they seem to have the little things that Home Depot & Lowes never carries.

Goin on 4 yrs without a problem.....

CIMG1967.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Another vote for Ace Hardware.

Its a nickel-plated brass bead chain. The Ace Hardware stores aroung here also

carry the end connector that will screw into the back of the gas cap.

My gas caps on my boat have the wire, but is not connected to the inlet inside the boat. How difficult is it to take off and attatch? Will the fuel line pull out thru the hull some, or will I have to take it loose from the inside?

Thanks folks--found the chain and links at True Value Hardware. Going to make the mod to lengthen the chains on both boats this weekend. No more lost gas caps!!

• 11 years later...
On 6/6/2012 at 4:12 PM, srab said:

Another vote for Ace Hardware.

Its a nickel-plated brass bead chain. The Ace Hardware stores aroung here also

carry the end connector that will screw into the back of the gas cap.

@srab @dalt1 @Pistol Pete @River Rat @Bill_AirJunky

I broke the chain (on land thankfully) to the cap on my Sunsetter LXI the last time I filled it up in the fall. A portion of it is still attached to the filler so I would like to give your fix a try. Can anyone help me out with the size of the chain needed and the type of connectors used?  My boat is in storage 200 miles from here near my lake cabin so I can’t use my existing cap to find the right size. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dan B

redrooster

I removed mine completely.  Didn't want the chain or balls falling into the tank.  Plus I don't like the cap hanging against the gel coat dinging it up.  

• Like 2

Sorry that 06 boat has been replaced 3 times since these posts. But if you do the chain definitely make it long enough you can set the cap up on top of the gunnel or sun pad so it isn't hanging.

• Like 1