Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Typical Time to Install 2 pairs of Rev10s and 2 Amps

MichLivin

Just curious if I got charged too much, I have a 2011 WS with 4 factory tower speakers and 1 amp. I upgraded to the Wetsounds Rev10's, got 2 Syn4 amps and a WS420 EQ installed at the local dealer. They charged me 15 hours of labor for installing the components and they told me that was a special deal as it took them more than double the time. Am I crazy or does that seem excessive?

I understand there is time involved but they also charged full MSRP for the components, so i kinda feel they charges were excessive.

If it is all new wiring than I would say that would be about right. Speaker wire and all. But not double that. Just my 2 cents but I would have wanted all new wiring.

If they reused (and I bet they did) the existing wiring, I'd be suprised if it took a shop (which has all the proper tools available and ready to use) more than about 3-4 hours. It's not that big of a deal to do at all.

Hell, I just fished a wire in my tower (that had no wiring - had to drill holes in the tower as well), ran it to the back of the boat to tie into the factory wiring for a tower light, and it took a little over an hour. With your tower, it would have probably been a 20 minute job.

You got taken for a ride, especially if you were paying MSRP for everything.

I think I know where you took it, without naming names. The problem is they are new to wetsounds this year and have never made the investment for a "true stereo guy". I agree that it shouldn't have taken that long, but I honestly could see them taking that long for the install.

Msrp is ridiculous, if they were going to charge you that much labor they should have cut you a really, really good deal on the gear IMHO.

If you break down the big job into small individual procedures you could have two pair tower speakers, a pair of G3 brackets, new tower harness run, two amplifiers, accessing the source unit connections, re-arranging other components on the amp panel, new supply/ground for the HU in advance of noise, a transverse wire run for the EQ supply plus to/from RCAs, the EQ and mic installation, an underdash mounting bridge for the EQ, the supply and distribution/fusing from the battery switch to the amplifiers, tuning, etc. etc. You might be able to throw it together in 4 hours or it might take the better part of two days depending on how thorough and detailed the job execution was. 15 hours might be a bit strong at a standard marine industry rate or very fair at a typical reduced aftermarket accessory rate. Was it done in house or contracted out. No one really knows the details of the terms and installation so I wouldn't want to comment on the fairness. But it is customary to have an advanced quote based on a piece rate. In the future I would recommend getting an advanced quote with a 10 percent ceiling for the unexpected (noise, etc). After that you should request an update contact for pre-approval of anything extra.

David

I agree, I should of got an estimate but yea that was me thinking...it seems simple.

Pete...yes I did not include it but boat...

T-squared your right on. I thought I would shoot them the business so i hit them up during the boat show to see if they could get the speakers. I guess I am the guinea pig.

Thanks for all the feedback