Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

XM7 volume

caw32073

I have a set of XM 7s. They are being powered by Bazooka 4 channel amp. The speakers are bridged and have 170 RMS going into each speaker. The speakers are loud but I feel they should be louder. I have adjusted gains on the amp many times to try to maximize and dial in the volume. The problem seems to be when the gains are set too high the speakers become distorted at very high volumes. I am trying to max out the volume at 3/4 volume before distortion sounds. When I am boarding I can hear them but I feel I should be hearing them much more clearly. Any ideas on what to do or is this what I can expect from these speakers? Also my XM is a lot quieter than playing a cd. Also, a rap song will distort at a lower volume than a rock song. I assume because of the increased bass compared to rock songs. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like an amp and tuning issue to me. They shouldn't distort if tuned right, think you may be trying to get more out of that amp then it's got to give.

I am not convinced on listening to music while wakeboarding, its dam loud in the boat and yes you can hear the music but its not perfect and there is a lot of wind noice. Perhaps you are just trying to get too much out of your amp.

I am not convinced on listening to music while wakeboarding, its dam loud in the boat and yes you can hear the music but its not perfect and there is a lot of wind noice. Perhaps you are just trying to get too much out of your amp.

agreed. I'm starting to believe that real sound to the rider is a bit of a myth. Surfing? no prob. Wakeboarding... wind, engine, and water noise make it hard to hear even a really well powered system clearly. Marginally powered system doesn't have a chance.

• Like 2

well, I do hear mine very well at foiling speeds (23mph) and it is very clear. the only time it gets distorted is if there is a headwind. yesterday was a perfect example of this. running with the wind, I could hear everything nicely. running into the wind, I had to be exactly in-line with the speakers to hear it. with my "new" Titan 3 tower, I just have the cabin and sub turned down and let the towers blast me. music allows my brain to shut down a bit before I attempt trick, clears my mind (yea, I have issues with ADHD or ADD as some say).

BUT.........I am running 4 XM7's and 2 XM9's on my tower. WAY more than most any sane person will put up there. ;)

Unfortunately you have to set up the gains for the lowest level source and that means that the higher level source will distort as the amplifier reaches compression/clipping.

To maximize the projection set the highpass crossover a little higher than normal. Narrowing the bandwidth responsibility of any speaker and amplifier will increase the output.

If you want maximum output make sure that you are not using any form of equalization and/or boost. The smallest amount of tonal contour really slashes your clean peak output capacity.

If you want rap to project farther then roll off the bass a little.

Sat radio is seriously compressed so it doesn't translate well to loud levels.

Very clean downloads or original CD material will help your cause.

David

If you want rap to project farther then roll off the bass a little.

That was my thought as well. It may not be "just" gain that is your problem, but the crossover as well. Make sure you are highpassing them effectively as bass will definitely wreak havoc on tower speakers at higher output levels.