Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wet Sounds Sinister Amps

Murphy8166

I saw this over on Wakeworld....

"Wet Sounds Sinister series of marine amplifiers represent the pinnacle in 12 volt amplifier design. The highest power to size amplifiers anywhere in the world for car or marine use. Utilizing advanced full range class D power supplies with a patent pending transformer design to deliver power output formerly unheard of in a small sized sealed amplifier. The Sinister amplifiers share one size full cast aluminum chassis for all models making installation a breeze and the ability to have a clean install. All Sinister amplifiers feature a fully conformal coated 4 layer pcb board, single side power, speaker and input section, and top mounted controls with removable cover. Sinister amplifiers have a back lit Wet Sounds shield logo with selectable illumination for red, white or blue that can be mounted horizontally or vertically for flexible amplifier placement. Other features include high pass/low pass/full range crossovers, flexible inputs source selection for single or multiple RCA channel input, RCA pass through on 4ch and 2ch, and removable speaker plugs that accept large gauge wire. The Sinister amplifiers are not only extremely powerful but also intelligent with a built in microprocessor controller for overvoltage protection, under voltage protection, DC offset and speaker short protection, as well as thermal rollback to ensure consistent play in the harsh marine environment. One of the most amazing aspects of the Sinister amplifiers design is the efficiency rating. All sinister amplifiers achieve their efficiency rating at full 4 ohm rated power, the 6 ch is 82%, the 4ch is 84% and the 2 ch is 86%. This translates into less current draw and less generated heat. Over twice that of a conventional class AB amplifier and more efficiency than any other Class D amplifier."

SD6:

Stereo @ 4 ohms 6 x 185 Watts

Stereo @ 2 ohms 6 x 290 Watts

Bridged @ 4 ohms 3 x 585 Watts

SD4:

Stereo @ 4 ohms 4 x 185 Watts

Stereo @ 2 ohms 4 x 340 Watts

Bridged @ 4 ohms 2 x 685 Watts

SD2:

Stereo @ 4 ohms 2 x 400 Watts

Stereo @ 2 ohms 2 x 620 Watts

Bridged @ 4 ohms 1 x 1250 Watts

When I was looking for a amp to push my 4 XM9's. I wanted 1 amp so I went to looking ended up with the Rockford Fosgate T1000-4AD

250x4 @ 4 ohms

250x4 @ 2 ohms

250x4 @ 1 ohms

500x2 @ 4 ohms bridged

500x2 @ 2 ohms bridged

THD+N@ RATED POWER <1.0%

So my question is did I do good. The XM9's are are rated at 300RMS and 600peek They test all amps when they send it out and my amp was putting out 333 amps rms.

I think that the SD2 would be in the same range as the Syn 4 but from what I have read, they are not really that comparable anymore. Completely different topology D versus g/h, more power, different internal build in regards to power source, heat sink, cooling and control accessibility.

I'd rather stay clear of the term 'better'. Class D is simply more efficient than either Class G or H which is more efficient than Class AB.

Krell and Mark Levinson, two esoteric home audio companies, to name a few, have adopted fullrange switching-class amplifiers. Recently self-powered Class D speakers are gaining popularilty in home audio and have been commonly used in prosound arrays and studio monitors for some time now. The Absolute Sound publication just did a featured article with a round table discussion on Class D home audio amplifiers which included many of the top home audio amplifier engineers/designers of the past several decades (a very conservative bunch). So the continued migration to Class D is nothing new and certainly predictable.

David