Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 malibu 21 Ride wakesurf weighting

Wakeslut

Our family just purchased a 2011 21 Ride. It has 900 lbs of standard ballast. 200 lbs X 2, in the rear, left and right side. As well as 500 lbs center ballast. It also has a power wedge. What is the best weight configuration for wakesurfing with this boat? I am hoping I can get a good wakesurf wake without having to buy more sacs.

Definition of good will vary but you'll be able to surf that w just factory weight with a decent size board. But, every pound helps. Fill center and rear of side youre surfing, wedge down and put any people or dog weight on the same side.

You need to upgrade those locker sacks. 200lbs isn't much at all.

Correct. I have a 2007 21 vRide and the rear ballast is paltry. My current setup is to run mid ballast full, surf side rear full, and two 400 pound ballast bags on the surf side as close as possible to the rail. It produces a decent size wake but it is very short. The wedge does not help much either, it makes the wave somewhat bigger but it really shortens it, so I ride without the wedge (floating)

My plan before summer gets into full swing is to replace the 200s with 750s in the rear, and put a 370 tube sack up front on top of the 500 pound tank in the walk through. I'm hoping that will give me a pretty good wave without having to use any other bags in the boat. 750 is pretty huge for that hull, thinking length can be compensated for by putting a couple people in the bow. Fingers are crossed.

You can surf with just the stock ballast, but bring lots of friends and don't expect to be going ropeless much.

I have the same hull and have spent tons of time tinkering with setups. For that hull, it doesn't get any better than:

SetUp for 2-3 passengers:

Center and BOTH rear stock tanks full

400 in surf side locker

(2) 250's under seats on surf side

400 on surf side floor

400 surf side bow

NO wedge

-you need to elimate that 400 on the surf side floor if you have more than 3 passengers

- try the wedge if you like, many do. It will make the wave 'bigger' but will slow it down dramatically and shorten the rideable area of the wave (length wise)

*** This setup is only what I do. Don't do anything you are not comfortable with!

• 2 weeks later...

So everyone tells me I need 400 lb in my bow, but i can only find the Fly High W711, which is 650 lb......Is this the bag i need for my boat? Or is there a 400 lb bag for the Malibu I havent found yet? Or a combination of bags for the bow i can use? There is the Fly High W713. (400 lb) Is that designed to go under the center bow filler cushion on a malibu,? It would not be positioned as far forward in the bow as the W711, and you prob wouldnt get as much "forward" ballast, with the W713 as with the W711. I;m just not sure on which direction to go........any suggestions?

Edited by Wakeslut

So everyone tells me I need 400 lb in my bow, but i can only find the Fly High W711, which is 650 lb......Is this the bag i need for my boat? Or is there a 400 lb bag for the Malibu I havent found yet? Or a combination of bags for the bow i can use? There is the Fly High W713. (400 lb) Is that designed to go under the center bow filler cushion on a malibu,? It would not be positioned as far forward in the bow as the W711, and you prob wouldnt get as much "forward" ballast, with the W713 as with the W711. I;m just not sure on which direction to go........any suggestions?

I have a 2007 ride so slightly narrower boat that yours, i have the W711 in the bow and bet all I can get in it is around 500lbs. yes this is the bag u need. I also add about 200 up the middle with cubes.

for wakesurfing you need more weight, I have 750's in rears and have 300 bag which I can put on surf side. so 750 + 300 surf side, mid full and bow full, wedge down.

for wake boarding I pretty much now run with both 750's full, 500 mid ship and bow full (so where between 500 and 700lbs) no wedge. my friends that are alot better than I am run with the wedge down but for me it is to much of a kick.....

Do you have the 711 under the seats in the front, or is it too big to fit? I have heard of some who run it on top of the seats. I was hoping to put it under to save space. I would like to have all my bags hidden.

Edited by Wakeslut

You could run 400lbs of lead bags in the bow instead of messing with a bag up there.

My setup is very similar to what -BS- posted above.

Surf side stock rear tank full + 750 bag

belly tank full

400 lbs of lead in the bow moved over to surf side. (all hidden under cushion)

400 lb bag on the surf side seat by the cup holders

400 lb bag on the surf side floor

Wedge all the way down

10.6-11 mph

Lead wake and POP makes lead bags that you can purchase.