Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing Board?

eubanks

We are 100% wakeboarders right now but want to try and pick up a surfboard for this summer. We are thinking the Broadcast would be a good way to go. It will be mostly beginners riding, but I was hoping to get a board that we could progress on a little bit as well. Would we be better off with the 4'9" size or the 5'6" size? Most of the people riding will be under (and a couple just over) 200 lbs. This is behind a 2005 WSLSV. Thanks for the advice!

Also, will these boards fit in our Metacraft racks on our Illusion tower?

Edited by eubanks
We are 100% wakeboarders right now but want to try and pick up a surfboard for this summer. We are thinking the Broadcast would be a good way to go. It will be mostly beginners riding, but I was hoping to get a board that we could progress on a little bit as well. Would we be better off with the 4'9" size or the 5'6" size? Most of the people riding will be under (and a couple just over) 200 lbs. This is behind a 2005 WSLSV. Thanks for the advice!

We have a 5'6" Landlock and a 4'10" Phase5 Oogle, we learned on the Landlock and it is easy to teach people on and great for cruising but, the Oolge is a blast and a lot faster and loser than the Landlock. I would say if you want one size fits all get the 5'6" Broadcast and buy a smaller board later. Both of our boards fit in the racks which I believe are metcraft.

I started with the Oogle. It took me longer to go ropeless than maybe it should have, but I attribute that to being self taught. You won't go wrong either way.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm leaning towards the 5'6" Broadcast. I'll see if I can't find a 2005 used or on closeout.

I think the 06 boards may be $50 cheaper than the 05s. Hit the sponsers for the wakeworld site.

I went with the 4'9" broadcast and taught myself (from advice on this site and others). Another benefit of the smaller board (at least in a VLX) is it fits nicely in my storage lockers.

If you are going to eventually have two boards, then you are probably right to start out with the larger... but if you are only going to have one board, go with the one that may be tougher to learn on, but will provide the most long-term fun.

I went with the 4'9" broadcast and taught myself (from advice on this site and others). Another benefit of the smaller board (at least in a VLX) is it fits nicely in my storage lockers.

If you are going to eventually have two boards, then you are probably right to start out with the larger... but if you are only going to have one board, go with the one that may be tougher to learn on, but will provide the most long-term fun.

I agree. If you're good at boarding, surfing, snow boarding, skateboarding you'll pick it up quickly and want a smaller board soon. A smaller board will give you a bit of a longer learning curve, but will last longer as a 'fun' board.

And just to answer this question, at least in part, both of the Broadcasts will. I can't tell you on the Phase 5, sorry.

bryan is correct...pops(AKA BradB) is selling a landlock

"If you find out that you want a '05 6'1" Landlock , then look no further.

Barely used.

Mine is for sale for $125"

tj-

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm going to stick with the Broadcast. I talked to RV a few days ago at GS and they are selling the 2005 for $200 + $30 shipping. That's probably the cheapest if I want to go new. I've ordered from them for years and they are wonderful to deal with. They are repairing my Temet bindings as we speak! Biggrin.gif

I'm still worried about the 4'9" not being as fun for those that are new to surfing or board sports. For me though...I want that there funner smaller board!!!

I don't know. I bought the 4'9 first and my buddy (6'3" 260), girls (135lb-160) where having a hard time. Then he bought Gregs 5'6" broadcast and he was having a ton of fun, even going rope less with no problem. I just wish I would have bought the Malibu phase 5. I think alot of it has to do with how well the rider can learn and figure out the gas brake thing.

Well yea - the phase 5 is my favorite.

We never had any issues riding the icon phase 5 but we got it after we were fairly experienced.

And our new riders usually opt for the Landlock or Broadcast

<hijack>/

I might be buying a wakesurf board tomorrow, As many of you know I have the 6'1 landlock board, which is a monster. We know how to weight the boat now, and are looking to move onto more of a trick board, or a board that can turn. What would you guys suggest.

/<hijack>

I think the concensus for a faster board is a Phase 5.

The Oogle seems to be the most popular on this site, best for bigger riders.

The Icon is smaller and quicker, better for tricks but requires more skill to stay with the wake.

I'm not really a big guy yet, still under 200lbs, just 180 for now. so the phase5 prop wakesurfboard is a good choice?

The Oogle is a one size fits all, if you are buying for yourself get the prop, you could ride the icon have seen bigger guys ride one but, it might take some pratice

wheres the wake?

I dont know man... We had the back locker filled with sacs, 2 350lbs sacs, but you cant fill them both up. Then wedge rear ballast tank, and then front and center. We had 3 people in the back as well. See and doesnt think we need more ballast... I just dont know where id put it.