Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Walter V-Drive Transmission issues

Gentleman, After successfully putting 30 hrs on my 01 LSV since late Feb., I found myself and family sitting in a cove without any forward or reverse gear early this morning. It simply stopped engaging in gear. Just had my daughter put her wakeboard on and get in the water when it failed. It had been working flawlessly prior to failure. Cables intact and working perfect both at the remote and at the throttle body/transmission. Only thing i can figure out is that it's within the transmission. I have a Walter V-Drive that hasn't given me a minute problem. Do any of you readers have any advice for me? I could certainly use some. I don't have a clue as to what it will be. I'm desperate for a repair. Most shops are closed on Monday and I have reservations from Friday to Monday (Memorial Weekend). I will beg a shop to evaluate and repair prior to Friday. Give me your best online evaluation and help a fellow MALIBU OWNER OUT!!!!!! Thanks

I assume this isn't the issue, but may as well make sure it isn't something easy - I assume you have the "switch" underneath the throttle control pushed in so that the transmission will engage, correct? When I was new to v-drives, I got worried when my boat wouldn't move, then I figured out I had that switch pulled out.

I doubt if it is the v-drive itself. The Walters unit is about as bullet proof as there is. I assume the shifting transmission in front of the Walter is full of ATF and the shift cable is functioning properly. Does the trans make any noise at all when you shift it?

Have you heard any unusual clunking noises that might indicate a drive plate failure? Could you have sheared a prop shaft key on either end of the propshaft.

The v drive itself doesn't do any shifting it just converts the path of power flow. You're issue is transmission related unless the gears in the v drive disengaged, which is not likely.

Smalsv,

You owe me a beer if I'm right but, I'm willing to bet you lost all of the bolts between the output coupler and the prop shaft....

IMG_0170.jpg

Edited by Pistol Pete

Smalsv,

You owe me a beer if I'm right but, I'm willing to bet you lost all of the bolts between the output coupler and the prop shaft....

IMG_0170.jpg

You are going to make me go look. I'll tell you this: when i rotate the prop, the drive shaft does rotate all the way to the v-drive. I brought the boat home for evaluation and repair, so I'm literally going to go check this theory. You and I have visited before, so I'm naturally interested to check and reply back.

You are going to make me go look. I'll tell you this: when i rotate the prop, the drive shaft does rotate all the way to the v-drive. I brought the boat home for evaluation and repair, so I'm literally going to go check this theory. You and I have visited before, so I'm naturally interested to check and reply back.

I looked at the bolts. Not shearing. Had my wife rotate the prop again and looked as well as felt the shaft and coupling rotate. Perfect. I can't figure it out. Understand something: There is no transmission engagement whatsoever. Not in forward or reverse. It's as if I have the spring loaded "idle up" shaft pulled out (not proper terms, but you get my intent). I'm no engineer. I work in heavy duty truck sales. Kenworth is not just thought to be the best in the market, it is the very best in the world. Enough plugging my product. Thanks for all you readers help and analyzing. Keep sending me some ideas. I'll call a few dealerships in my area tomorrow morning and keep you posted on the prognosis. Thanks again.

I doubt if it is the v-drive itself. The Walters unit is about as bullet proof as there is. I assume the shifting transmission in front of the Walter is full of ATF and the shift cable is functioning properly. Does the trans make any noise at all when you shift it? Have you heard any unusual clunking noises that might indicate a drive plate failure? Could you have sheared a prop shaft key on either end of the propshaft.
I understand what you are saying concerning the v-drive. I'm sure you are correct. I'm 95% sure it's the transmission. I"m afraid it is internal. I'm staying positive, but my gut feeling is not good. externally, everything seems to look good. There is no "engagement" of the forward motion or click in the transmission. Forward to reverse.

Take a loot at the blue shift cable that should be attached to the transmission, then move the throttle into forward and reverse and make sure the cable is moving. You can also remove the cable and manually engage the transmission to ensure it is not a shifter or cable issue

I hate to say that I just went through this exact same thing in my 05. Turned out to be total trasmission failure. Check your transmission fluid, should be nice and red. Hopefully its not dark brown like mine. If it is the transmission, it will be good idea to do damper plate while your in there. Still hoping its something minor for you!

I'll have a mechanic at my KW shop follow me up and make sure I'm not visibly missing somehing obvious before towing it to Waterski America in Dallas,TX tommorow. Waterski America just simply has some of the most experienced mechanics and work on Malibus all year long. 3 1/2 hr trip for me (one way), but hopefully it's something small they can make a quick repair on and send me back to Texarkana,AR (Go Razorbacks). I've got my fingers crossed and am hoping and praying for a good report and simple inexpensive repair. Replacing a transmission is NOT on my wish list for Christmas. Hopefully!!

Waterski America in Dallas' basic evaluation was: part between the engine and transmission (basically the torque converter) appears to be dis functional. Part: app $280 plus 5-6 hrs of labor. Much better than I expected. Not free, but it all could have been much worse. Gonna go ahead and let them take care of a few minor issues as well. Thanks for all of your concern as ideas as to what my problem could have been. Ill give you all a final bill and actual part price when finished.

• 4 years later...

My 2001 23 LSV just started doing the same thing today. I wonder if I'm having the same issue. It seems like the pin to rev the engine in neutral is pulled out but it's not. Could you get me more details on the part that you replaced when this happened. Is it called the torque converter? 

The part that was referred to as a torque converter is most likely the drive plate that bolts to the flywheel and the splined transmission input shaft plugs into.

1 hour ago, Logan said:

I took the coupler off and the brass key was shredded. I think I just need to replace the key and the transmission should once again turn the drive shaft.  

Once again the simplest and easiest fix turns out to be the one. I think we often go too deep and too complicated too fast.

I have a local fastener shop that sells about anything you would ever want or need. If not there Skidim.com would have them. While you are at it IIWM I would replace the other associated fasteners in that area while you have it apart. Good luck. Bill

Edited by wdr

I ended picking one up from Tommy's Malibu in Golden, CO. I put everything back together and its running well now. Unfortunately my shaft seal packing is leaking too much though and I need to take it all apart again and put in new packing. I just ordered the goretex packing and hope to get less water in the bilge now.