Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing Ballast for 2012 VLX

VLX Crush

We just bought a 2012 VLX and trying to get the surf wake just right. Our boat has rear left and right tanks and center tank plus the power wedge. Can we get a good surf wake with just this or do we need to add fat sacks? Has any one found the best set up with just the stock ballast and wedge?

your boat looks sweeeet!

I could surf my boat (09Vride - not the same but similar) with stock ballast but just barely. The wake got massive once I installed 750's in the rear, added 400lbs of lead in the nose, and fill 2 400lbs bags in the cabin. Fill up the surf side rear tank, center tank, and play with the wedge at somewhere between 10-12 mph and see what it looks like.

With our 2010 vlx we fill surf side tank full, centre 3/4 full and front half full. With the wedge we put it all the way down then 1 or 2 clicks up from the bottom. For extra ballast we put a 400lbs in the rear locker, a 370lbs bag under the seats and also have two 150lbs bags we can move around then put people all along the side we are surfing on and it works well

we went out and bought a 750lb bag for rear locker and a 400lb bag for the bow. We arrange the bags on which ever side we are surfing and fill the center ballast and the ballast on the surf side. Had a great surf wake all day. The stock ballast is just not enough.

Thanks for tips.

We have no problem, with our 2011 VLX, even with only 4 - 5 people, put as many as you can on the surf side, fill that side, the centre and the front tank. Don't use the wedge at maximum put it almost all the way down it will give you a cleaner wave. Not a big wave but plenty good enough for a decent ride. Take more people and place them appropriately if you want it bigger and generally we have found the drivers side gives the best cleanest wave.

I added a 750 to rear locker, its puts out a decent wake, but its a little steep, I think I need another 400 in the bow to help lengthen the wake. The 750 will definitely help and improve the stock wake. I ran a couple JOHNSON pumps for each bag, if you check out my boat house it will give you some pics if you are interested in going this route. You can always start with the Tsunami portable pump which will get you going.

Congratulations on your boat, I really like you orange and white color scheme! The "crush" is a perfect name for that boat! Post up some more pics, I am sure everyone would love to see some more!

Front, Center and Surf Side rear tanks full. 750 lbs in the rear and 400 in the nose on the surf side. If you have a large crew, then you can sit everyone in the boat on the surf side....if small crew then add another 400 in the passenger seat area.

I'd put the wedge all the way down and start around 10.5mph. You can take the wedge up 2 or 3 clicks and vary your speed up to around 12mph depending on the skill level of the rider.

This is how we started running our VLX and got three newbies ridding rope less for over 60 seconds each last weekend. I know it sounds like a lot of wright but it is what you need to do it right. The boat has no problem running like this. I like the weight in the bow b/c it keeps the nose down so you can see. Dunking the nose was not an issue for me, but I've been driving a tow boat since 2000.

So a 750lb sac and a set of v drive sacs should give you everything you ever need!!

Edited by Murphy8166

I added a 750 to rear locker, its puts out a decent wake, but its a little steep, I think I need another 400 in the bow to help lengthen the wake. The 750 will definitely help and improve the stock wake. I ran a couple JOHNSON pumps for each bag, if you check out my boat house it will give you some pics if you are interested in going this route. You can always start with the Tsunami portable pump which will get you going.

Congratulations on your boat, I really like you orange and white color scheme! The "crush" is a perfect name for that boat! Post up some more pics, I am sure everyone would love to see some more!

If I knew how to upload more I would, havent been able to figure that one out yet.

If I knew how to upload more I would, havent been able to figure that one out yet.

Use photobucket, its free. Upload the pictures, afterwards clock on the picture you want to upload and then select direct link. Next go back to the message on the malibu crew site and select picture upload, then right click and past the direct link into the picture line. You can preview the post next to take a look at the picture. Why they dont have a normal picture uploader on this site I do not know.

This is some very useful information guys, thanks very much for the help. But I need help with my current surf setup. I have a 2011 wakestter vlx, and its absolutely awesome, and throws a mean gnarly wake, and an awesome surf wake... on the starboard side. No matter what we try, setup, weight, or configuration I cannot get a good clean wakesurf wake on the port side, i know in part this can be due to the rotation of the prop, but is there any way at all we can get a good clean surf wake on the port side. We have tried (rear left ballast full, center full, a 250 sac in the rear locker, and about a 1000 extra lbs in a sac sitttin on the rear seats and left passenger side, with the wedge all the way down), we have also tried it with a a 400 sac in the front to weigh down the bow of the boat, we have also tried it without the sacs and just a 250 in the rear left locker, with four people sitting on the left passenger side, but no matter what we do, we seem to get a washed out really lame surf wake on the port side, but we can get a clean monster wake on the starboard side. Any help and/or suggestions would be awesome.

This is some very useful information guys, thanks very much for the help. But I need help with my current surf setup. I have a 2011 wakestter vlx, and its absolutely awesome, and throws a mean gnarly wake, and an awesome surf wake... on the starboard side. No matter what we try, setup, weight, or configuration I cannot get a good clean wakesurf wake on the port side, i know in part this can be due to the rotation of the prop, but is there any way at all we can get a good clean surf wake on the port side. We have tried (rear left ballast full, center full, a 250 sac in the rear locker, and about a 1000 extra lbs in a sac sitttin on the rear seats and left passenger side, with the wedge all the way down), we have also tried it with a a 400 sac in the front to weigh down the bow of the boat, we have also tried it without the sacs and just a 250 in the rear left locker, with four people sitting on the left passenger side, but no matter what we do, we seem to get a washed out really lame surf wake on the port side, but we can get a clean monster wake on the starboard side. Any help and/or suggestions would be awesome.

All I can tell you is keep experimenting. We run the starboard side 99% of the time and it's totally dialed in (see pic below). On the port side I can sometimes get an ok wake, but many times it's not great. One of our goofy riders actually prefers riding on the regular side heelside to the wake because it's that much better.

List is very important, so make sure your weight and people are as far to the outside of the boat as possible. Get all weight on the surf side, including people and even heavy coolers. Sometimes a heavy sack can be a detriment if it's more centered rather than further to the edge of the boat. Try dumping some or most of the water from the center tank. Try the wedge in all positions, including all the way up (stored). Try almost all of the weight toward the back of the boat or more evenly spread out (you probably should have at most 30% of your weight forward of the tower).

46200_427032819635_686814635_4685724_1199753_n.jpg

Thanks alot for the tip. I think the problem I am "self creating" is that there is too much weight in the center of the boat as opposed to the far corners like the rear lockers and corner seats. I'm gonna drop the 1500 sack that spreads out over the whole rear seat and passenger side, and just use the 250 in the rear locker and maybe half of the 750 sack and put it in the passenger corner, with another 250 sac up front for counter weight and drop the wedge down. And just curious, what setup are you using to produce that wake?

With this set-up are you able to go ropeless?

Alex, the setup is in this thread.

I forgot to also mention to change the speed. Lower speed generally gives you a steeper wake with a smaller pocket and more wash toward the back. Faster speed will give you a lower wake height with a longer and cleaner pocket.

• 2 weeks later...

Front, Center and Surf Side rear tanks full. 750 lbs in the rear and 400 in the nose on the surf side. If you have a large crew, then you can sit everyone in the boat on the surf side....if small crew then add another 400 in the passenger seat area.

I'd put the wedge all the way down and start around 10.5mph. You can take the wedge up 2 or 3 clicks and vary your speed up to around 12mph depending on the skill level of the rider.

This is how we started running our VLX and got three newbies ridding rope less for over 60 seconds each last weekend. I know it sounds like a lot of wright but it is what you need to do it right. The boat has no problem running like this. I like the weight in the bow b/c it keeps the nose down so you can see. Dunking the nose was not an issue for me, but I've been driving a tow boat since 2000.

So a 750lb sac and a set of v drive sacs should give you everything you ever need!!

What side are you surfing with this set-up? And how many do you normally have in your crew?