Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rockford Fosgate Transom Remote fix.... Kinda

Texoma LSV

One of the few issues I had with my new Malibu was the RF Transom remote. And it was a big one. As documented on this site, It's basically worthless because it is soooo sensitive. When water gets on it, someone brushes up against it, or even looks at it funny, it changes: station, mode, volume etc.

My dealer's solution.... Unplug it. So I did. And I was bitter all last summer because I had to get in and out of the boat to change my tunes.

I found a solution though. The RFXMR3. Best $40 I ever spent. If you want to make the change you had better hurry though. I ordered one from Crutchfield and got an e-mail saying they were not in stock. So I called RF and they said they are no longer making them. I found a place on-line that had some in stock. Got it, installed and then my one from Crutchfield came in 3 weeks after I ordered it (Don't know where they found it??)

I apologize if this knowledge is already out there. Just so excited that I thought I wanted to share!

post-16960-0-32257000-1336792404.png

• Like 1

Maybe that is why mine didn't work when I bought my boat. It was a demo and the dealer might have disconected it. I just had it fixed the other day but this is good info if the head unit acts up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Where can I get one?

ryan

The new transom remote has a lock feature, so if you are surfing you can simply turn it off.

ryan

The new transom remote has a lock feature, so if you are surfing you can simply turn it off.

Can you elaborate? I was trying to figure out some way to lock it last time I was out.

From my understanding the 2012 will/ does have the lock option on it. My dealer looked into getting one for me. He talked to his contact at RF and they bench tested the 2012 remote with the 2011 system and reported to him that it was not compatible. :(

Guys, I just figured it out. I called the orignal manufacturer (Patrick Industries - 574-970-8348). They manufacturer the marine products for Fosgate. Anyway the guy told me that I needed to do to lock and unlock the RFXMR7 is to hold the volume down button and the mute at the same time.

I haven't tried it yet but I just got off the phone with them (number above) and that is what he told me.

If that works I will be so happy and so mad at the same time. Thanks for making the call. Whoever tries it first please follow up.

I called the fellow at Patrick Industries and he confirmed that you need both an updated RFX-3000 and an updated RFX-MR7 for this funcitonality to work. All this confirms the earlier threads above. I also tried this functionality on my 2011 VTX last night and it did not work (as expected after this feedback). He is looking into see if there is software upgrade but it is doubtful. If I find anything out I will update this post.

I recomend the RFXMR3. Pictured in the very first post. I found that Avenue Sound had one in stock and Overton's as well. but Overton's wants almost double of what it sells for other places. Better hurry as Rockford Fostgate told me they are no longer manufacturing it.

I just bought the RFXMR3 from overtons as I couldn't find another in stock anywhere else. They retailed at $89.99 but got them to price match crutchfields out of stock price at $39.99.

To give a little more info:

I spoke with Nelson at Patrick Ind and if you have a RFX 3000 and RFX MR7 remote that was made after March 2012, then you should be able to lock and unlock by holding the down volume and mute buttons for three second.

I just ordered a MR-3 remote from Overtons - they are sold out completely every where else. I was not able to get a price match but got a good discout and free shipping.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone point me to what the best way to unhook the remote is? I looked under the dash for something obvious but didn't see anything.

I haven't tried the lock method yet but I'd rather not do that every time I go out, I really don't need the remote.

The transom remote itself comes with a 6 inch cord that plugs into an extension (that goes to the head unit). So to unplug: Just lift up the transom storage compartment and feel up under where the cord would come out of the remote and unplug it from the cord that goes to the head unit. Very easy. Mine was right by the blower hose.

• 9 months later...