Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

iPhone to Amp

Asmodeus2112

Can I just plug my iPhone into an amp, i.e. will the 3.5 output drive the RCA stereo inputs? I know it would be better to use a pre-amp, but I'd like to get decent sound as soon as possible and the only source we really use is the iPhone. Next step would be a digital media headunit to get some remote capabilities or an EQ/Pre-amp.

Best would be an eq/preamp like you said but to get you by you go direct into the amp with ipod. Problem is you'll have to daisy the signal if you have mulitple amps. The signal voltage is very low out of the ipods so be prepaired to deal with that.

Yeah grab the clarion it's a decent unit too. Definitely better than going direct into amps.

Nice, can find new for like $55. Can't really go wrong there.

Once you add a gaggle of splitters and lc1s for volume control you're back to the clarion eqs pricepoint though I'd guess.

I'm happy with the clarion especially for the price. Lots of good reviews on amazon too.

I'd only be interested in ones with a volume knob. Depending on if your amps have RCA outputs you may not need to split. A passive volume knob would then be all you need.

Once you add a gaggle of splitters and lc1s for volume control you're back to the clarion eqs pricepoint though I'd guess.

I'm happy with the clarion especially for the price. Lots of good reviews on amazon too.

Yes, I agree with the Clarion being so nicely priced. The line driver might be good for ground loop isolation, do you connect any iDevice to your Clarion? Any ground noise issues? Also, the Pyle line driver consolidating power and audio into the single connector is worth it. I'll probably just start with that and a 4-channel amp (with line outs) connected to the in-boats. Upgrade the in-boats, then assess the tower situation when the wallet recovers.

Although looking at the Pyle Line Driver I think I made an incorrect assumption that it was powered. If not, the Clarion is an easy choice.

Edited by Asmodeus2112

I have been using my iphone to amp in truck for 3 months and it sounded awesome. I did this until I could find my new head unit which works with streaming over bluetooth.

I also have used iphone directly to amps in Malibu and sounds awesome. I honestly dont know why I am trying to get rid of my high pitch noise thru head unit when all I use the head unit for is for my iphone. Iphone to amp sounds great.

The only issue is sometimes the iphone volume control goes up way too fast by accident and you may clip but you can just make sure the amps gains dont allow this.

This is what I'm looking for, or similar. Charges and passes audio through a single cable.

http://www.crutchfie...D.html?tp=47586

I will bet you a dollar that that will circumvent volume control from the iphone. I use the very similar isimple is76 into the aux of the clarion eq, and the is76 does prevent changing the volume from the iphone.

I will bet you a dollar that that will circumvent volume control from the iphone. I use the very similar isimple is76 into the aux of the clarion eq, and the is76 does prevent changing the volume from the iphone.

Hmm, that sux. Here's a volume control, but by the time one buys all these little $20-$30 cables I might as well buy a head unit like the Clarion M502.

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-Remote-Amplifier-Level-Controller/dp/B0002J226O/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b

Wow I hadn't seen that M502 deck before. That is a very attractive solution for those of us who never put a cd in the deck.

Yeah, I like it. No stock in the channel yet, but maybe worth waiting for.

Yes, I agree with the Clarion being so nicely priced. The line driver might be good for ground loop isolation, do you connect any iDevice to your Clarion? Any ground noise issues? Also, the Pyle line driver consolidating power and audio into the single connector is worth it. I'll probably just start with that and a 4-channel amp (with line outs) connected to the in-boats. Upgrade the in-boats, then assess the tower situation when the wallet recovers.

Although looking at the Pyle Line Driver I think I made an incorrect assumption that it was powered. If not, the Clarion is an easy choice.

I use the clarion with my satelite radio input. I have had no issues with feedback or ground noise.

I think I'm going to get a 4 Channel Amp, Clarion eqs746 and a direct iPod cable. I have a bluetooth audio receiver that I'm going to wire into the boat. I can then connect to the eq through the direct connection to the iPod or through the bluetooth adapter and select between them with the push-push on the eq. Only piece missing will be a remote, but with bluetooth and a good waterproof case we'll just use the iPhone to control things.

Next step will be to upgrade the inboats. Then add Tower speakers and another amp. Or maybe vice versa...

https://wetsounds.co...n&key=WSACWS-VC

WS-VC_cartimage_lg.jpg

Will this work for you? it is an iPod/Mp3 input and volume control unit from Wet Sounds

Thanks, I hadn't seen that piece. I'm going to buy an EQ, so that will take care of the volume, and for the direct connect I'm going to try this cable: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS418US418&q=CCA748&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1417694718543104666&sa=X&ei=63OsT9WID4rqgQefmb2vBA&ved=0CLUBEPMCMAA plugging the USB into a power dongle plugged into the 12v and the RCA's into the EQ input 1. Then the bluetooth adapter will plug into the EQ input 2.