Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My New MXZ Stereo Install

Cdoogles

Well folks, I finally got my stereo installed in my new MXZ. When I started this stereo project I had the following goals:

• Hear the music clearly while riding
  • Minimal impact to the boat since I am hoping to sell it at the end of the season (promotional boat)
  • Clean fit and finish

I met all these goals and some! I could not be happier with how it sounds, looks, operates. I am running the following equipment:

• Stock Rockford speakers and amp for the cabin. (Warranty stickers removed to get more out of the amp)
  • Exile ZLD
  • 4 Samson S9HDs on the tower
  • Harpoon amplifier running to the towers
  • Exile Xi12DVC Subwoofer and Exile Xi1500.1 Amplifier

Samson did the install for the ZLD, all the amplifiers and the tower speakers. They did a great job, all the wire runs are clean, I have zero feedback or noise, and the S9HDs look so great on the tower. I built the sealed subwoofer box and kickplate myself. It was a fun project and gave me an excuse to hang out with my dad in his wood shop for a few hours. I forgot to take pics of the box when done, but it is sealed 3/4" birch plywood, sealed with rhino-liner. The kick plate is also made of 3/4" plywood and wrapped in white marine vinyl. I took out the two euro vents from the heater and ran hot snakes for more heat into the passenger area. Also added a Malibu emblem with some white LEDs. Here are a few pics of how everything turned out!

2012-04-04_15-12-21_200.jpg

photobucket-20416-1335757710549.jpg

P1070654.jpg

P1070649.jpg

P1070656.jpg

photobucket-20095-1335757709803.jpg

photobucket-20343-1335757708107.jpg

P1000712.jpg

P1000720.jpg

Many, many thanks to Scott at Samson, Paul at Bake's Marine, and Brian at Exile for answering my thousands of questions and helping me out with this new system. Everyone who had been out on the boat has been super impressed with how it all looks and sounds! Gonna be an awesome summer!

• Like 2

Looks really nice. I'm not terribly knowledgable about stereo equip. So excuse me if this is a dumb question. What do you mean you removed the warranty stickers to get more out of the amp?

Looks really nice. I'm not terribly knowledgable about stereo equip. So excuse me if this is a dumb question. What do you mean you removed the warranty stickers to get more out of the amp?

The stock amplifiers come with "Warranty" stickers over the gain and bass boost knobs. They are essentially saying, if you take this sticker off you were turning the gain up on the amp too high and that's why it might blow. They limit them very low to make it very unlikely that the amp will ever have a fault, but on the flip side you don't get near the full potential of the amplifier unless you remove the stickers and adjust the settings on the amp.

I did knot have to cut into the fiberglass. It came pre-cut for a large black plastic kick panel that is similar shape to the kick panel I built. In hindsight, I probably would have not kept the stock shape, and cut it out more to allow for an easier design on the box. Mine has a "step" in the back of it to allow for the heater tube in the aisle way to fit. I was however trying to keep it very factory looking, and at this point you could pull the whole thing out and pop in the old panel in about 20 minutes.

The stock amplifiers come with "Warranty" stickers over the gain and bass boost knobs. They are essentially saying, if you take this sticker off you were turning the gain up on the amp too high and that's why it might blow. They limit them very low to make it very unlikely that the amp will ever have a fault, but on the flip side you don't get near the full potential of the amplifier unless you remove the stickers and adjust the settings on the amp.

I did knot have to cut into the fiberglass. It came pre-cut for a large black plastic kick panel that is similar shape to the kick panel I built. In hindsight, I probably would have not kept the stock shape, and cut it out more to allow for an easier design on the box. Mine has a "step" in the back of it to allow for the heater tube in the aisle way to fit. I was however trying to keep it very factory looking, and at this point you could pull the whole thing out and pop in the old panel in about 20 minutes.

Very nice install, Scott at Samson is great people to work with, Along with Paul & Brian, They took real good care of you for sure!!! Edited by Wakesetter67

Great install!!! Nice decals on your wakeboard too!!! Stoked for you and the fun times ahead of you this summer!!!

-Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Looks great. I am also thinking about using Vinyl instead of carpet. I figure worst case I can always add carpet later. So how do you like the vinyl, is it prone to ripping if your feet rub up (or rest on it)against it?

Did you contact Malibu to get the exact same white as the seats?

I am really happy with the vinyl so far. I've got about 50 hours of use on the boat and have no complaints. I rest my feet on it constantly and there doesn't seem to be any wear issues so far. It's very nice to be able to just wipe it clean with the rest of the seats and not worry about cleaning the carpet around it. I tried to get the color matched vinyl from Malibu, but it turned out to be a slow process and I ran out of time so I just purchased it at the local fabric store. It's a close enough match that not one else has noticed it isn't the same color. Let me know if you have any further questions! Thanks-