Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speaker Replacement

Slayer

So, my rear 2 speakers are blown and in need of replacement. The plan is to replace all 4. I don't plan on upgrading the system, changing the HU, or adding an amp. Everything is stock on the boat as it was when it was new essentially. I believe that the HU was replaced at some point, but that was done by the previous owner.

Since the boat is primarily used for skiing and doesn't get much cruising, party time (that's what the pontoon is for) I'm not all that interested in having some huge $$ killer system. All I want is a good quality speaker that will last and sound good.

adding a cheap small disposible amp and powering mediocre speakers is going to sound better than powering even the nicest speakers from the HU.

If you want to keep it cheap and simple, the polk db651's consistently get good reviews "for the money".

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-6-5-Inch-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B000P0PF9G

Those speakers with one of these amps would sound a million times better and you could do all four and buy your amp install bits for under $250.

http://www.audiosavings.com/products/Marine-Amplifier/Exile-Shift-SM400.4-400W-4-Channel-Marine-Weather-Resistant-Boat-Amp-Amplifier/SM400.4.aspx

I know, I know, you said you don't want an amp. But headunits have a hard enough time in the enclosed and quieter cabin of a car. In the open air of a boat with a big motor, and wind and water noise it's not a fair fight.

Is there an amp on them now? Any used sets on your local CL?

Currently there is no amp and only one battery. Had not thought to much about CL as we have a family friend who owns a car audio shop. Plan to buy everything though him.

adding a cheap small disposible amp and powering mediocre speakers is going to sound better than powering even the nicest speakers from the HU.

If you want to keep it cheap and simple, the polk db651's consistently get good reviews "for the money".

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B000P0PF9G

Those speakers with one of these amps would sound a million times better and you could do all four and buy your amp install bits for under $250.

http://www.audiosavi...er/SM400.4.aspx

I know, I know, you said you don't want an amp. But headunits have a hard enough time in the enclosed and quieter cabin of a car. In the open air of a boat with a big motor, and wind and water noise it's not a fair fight.

Thanks, SD. I'll look into it.

inlandlaker,

Find out what your friend has that prioritizes sensitivity over power handling. Entry level speakers from prominent brands usually sound pretty decent and don't take very much power to drive. Look for a 6.5" coaxial with a poly cone and a rubber surround. A plastic grill would be nice as a fine metal mesh grill will probably rust over time although you can shoot them with a couple of coats of SEM automotive dye to protect them.

Normally when you hear distortion from the in-boat speakers in an open boat while underway it is the HU internal amplifier running out of power first before the speakers are actually over-driven.

However, there are exceptions. Oftentimes the rear speakers are mounted at the very edge of the side, open coaming pockets or cavities. This may or may not apply to your particular boat. When this is the case and the speakers do not have adequate front to rear acoustic isolation, then much of the power goes to waste especially in the lower midbass and midrange. This can also lead to premature speaker fatique and failure. So if this description applies to your boat and you have the tolerance to correct this condition with a partition then both the speakers and the power will go much, much farther.

David

What brands does your friend carry?

He's a good friend of my brother in law. I just ran into the guy Saturday night. He carries Kicker, MB Quart, Sony, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate.

inlandlaker,

Find out what your friend has that prioritizes sensitivity over power handling. Entry level speakers from prominent brands usually sound pretty decent and don't take very much power to drive. Look for a 6.5" coaxial with a poly cone and a rubber surround. A plastic grill would be nice as a fine metal mesh grill will probably rust over time although you can shoot them with a couple of coats of SEM automotive dye to protect them.

Normally when you hear distortion from the in-boat speakers in an open boat while underway it is the HU internal amplifier running out of power first before the speakers are actually over-driven.

However, there are exceptions. Oftentimes the rear speakers are mounted at the very edge of the side, open coaming pockets or cavities. This may or may not apply to your particular boat. When this is the case and the speakers do not have adequate front to rear acoustic isolation, then much of the power goes to waste especially in the lower midbass and midrange. This can also lead to premature speaker fatique and failure. So if this description applies to your boat and you have the tolerance to correct this condition with a partition then both the speakers and the power will go much, much farther.

David

Great advice, David. I'll consider that for sure.

So, my rear 2 speakers are blown and in need of replacement. The plan is to replace all 4. I don't plan on upgrading the system, changing the HU, or adding an amp. Everything is stock on the boat as it was when it was new essentially. I believe that the HU was replaced at some point, but that was done by the previous owner.

Since the boat is primarily used for skiing and doesn't get much cruising, party time (that's what the pontoon is for) I'm not all that interested in having some huge $$ killer system. All I want is a good quality speaker that will last and sound good.

I have similar stereo needs as you. Sony HU, Polk db651's in rear (about $70/pr), and I just replaced the dash speakers w/ JL Audio MX650's (about $200/pr) that I got thru David at Earmark. As my dash is black, I went w/ the titanium color.

I have a box of old infinity speakers (4) taken out of a 2002 sunsetter. I am willing to sell them cheap cheap. Also have a head unit with wired remote. Let me know if you are interested.

I have a box of old infinity speakers (4) taken out of a 2002 sunsetter. I am willing to sell them cheap cheap. Also have a head unit with wired remote. Let me know if you are interested.

Price is right. Doesn't help your friend with his store, but if he's giving you a deal that doesn't help him anyways.

I'd expect the Kicker's to take the most abuse out of what he offers, but speakers are rather personal and listening to them yourself on power similar to what you have would be your best bet.

I am doing something similar. My primary goal is to be able to comfortably hear music when on plane, and have it just sound really good when cruising. When we are riding, there typically is no music, too much going on. Maybe playing a "fire-up" song when switching riders, but that's about it.

My boat came with 4 speakers and the HU, and both rears were shot. The two front speakers were not on the dash, and not in the side panels, but in weird locations under the gunnels. This winter I installed 4 new Polk DB651's, with new holes for the fronts in the side panels (my dash real-estate is too valuable for towels, shirts, stuff). It made very little difference compared to the old speakers. Tonight I hope to get to the boat and install a used Boston Acoustics amp, and am confident it will make a huge difference.

An amp on the cabin speakers is key. I have 4 Brand new in box db651's sitting on my shelf if ur interested. Or I have 4 used alpines like the ones they are putting in the new axis boats. Might even have a 4 ch amp too.

Like I said, I'm really just interested in getting some decent sound. We live on a small lake and don't do much cruising however on the occasion where I travel with the boat, a better sound sure would be nice. I'll have to look into a small amp.

Like I said, I'm really just interested in getting some decent sound. We live on a small lake and don't do much cruising however on the occasion where I travel with the boat, a better sound sure would be nice. I'll have to look into a small amp.

And it's actually very easy to mount. The port side bow backrest has 4 bolts that poke thru into the battery/storage area. I am mounting a piece of Lexan/plexi to those 4 bolts (drill 4 holes and put it over, trim edges to match contour of hull). Then the amp gets mounted to that. A little power wire, fuse, speaker wires and RCA's and I'm in business. Really easy.

You've expressed a couple of times that you're not interested, but for the little effort & cost it will get you a ton of payback. Like I said earlier, I replaced some crummy speakers with the new DB's...not much difference (actually none that I could tell). I'm sure the amp will do it.

And it's actually very easy to mount. The port side bow backrest has 4 bolts that poke thru into the battery/storage area. I am mounting a piece of Lexan/plexi to those 4 bolts (drill 4 holes and put it over, trim edges to match contour of hull). Then the amp gets mounted to that. A little power wire, fuse, speaker wires and RCA's and I'm in business. Really easy.

You've expressed a couple of times that you're not interested, but for the little effort & cost it will get you a ton of payback. Like I said earlier, I replaced some crummy speakers with the new DB's...not much difference (actually none that I could tell). I'm sure the amp will do it.

You make a good point. Since I'm not planning on replacing the HU, it makes a bit of sense to look into an amp. I have to put a new system in the pontoon this year, too so I'm trying to be cautious of how much I spend.

An amp on the cabin speakers is key. I have 4 Brand new in box db651's sitting on my shelf if ur interested. Or I have 4 used alpines like the ones they are putting in the new axis boats. Might even have a 4 ch amp too.

Which do you favor db651's or Alpines. How much you asking?

I also have heard the difference between the JL m650 and m"X"650 is substantial, with the m650 blowing away the mx, Thus I guess the price difference.

If I want to add a pair of speakers in the bow any recommendations? Stereo is 3-4 yr old Kenwood with MX 564 preamp, Sony speakers in aft and Infinity in cockpit