Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Color For Powdercoating Tower? / Pics of Yellow Tower

jwl019

I am about to powdercoat my tower to match my boat better, need some advice on color. I am going to drop it off Monday to have it done, originally I was thinking yellow, after seeing the white one, now I am unsure. I also have a bimini from Star One/Menace on the way and it is mainly silver with a 17" yellow strip. Which would look better, reason for color choice?

Options are white or yellow.

White example = http://dallas.craigs...2966156592.html

Yellow example = http://menacewatersp...=5&productid=55

My boat = http://monroe.craigs...2909042757.html

Edited by jwl019

Anyone ever overlay 2 different colors and two different times and have any problems?

The powdercoat guy asked me did I want to powdercoat over the black on the tower now or did I want him to strip it off and then powdercoat. He said with it already having black on there, he would not have to apply it so thick (build up), and he could heat the black up so that the yellow would bond to it, he did say that there was a small chance the yellow would not stick, and the price for overlay would just be $100. He didn't give me a price to strip it and then do it, but sure at least 2x that if I had to guess.

Edited by jwl019

When I did mine i went and had the old color media blasted off and then had it repowdercoated. This method provides better adhesion between the metal and the powdercoat. Also two layers of powder coat will start to get thick and if you have any tight tolerances you could face problems.

Wow, I haven't even thought of combining some colors! That does look good, other than the flames. He even went as far as doing the windshield too. I was actually just thinking of stripping the black off my windshield like I've seen some people do.

So, from the advice, it's looking like white, if the bimini comes in prior to powdercoating that will definetly help me make the choice.

How much clearance is there with attaching speakers/mirrors/lights/etc. For adjusting the attachment, is it possible that it he coats over the black, that nothing would fit? I figured with the screws used to attach, there would be enough play that the little added thickness wouldn't bother anything, but then again I don't have anything attached yet.

All vanilla, huh. Thats funny from a group that usually likes bass boat metal flake & chrome all day long. :Doh:

I'm sure it'll look good no matter what.

The brackets you have that are just screwed in place probably won't have an issue with the thickness of the powdercoat. It's the clamps that wrap completely around the tower that may have a problem, ie; mirror brackets, speaker clamps, flag holder, etc. And even those may or may not have issues, ie; my Titan mirror brackets have a plastic insert between the bracket & the tower itself so I doubt it would be an issue. But anything that is basically metal machined to fit with really close tolerances definitely would.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

When I did mine i went and had the old color media blasted off and then had it repowdercoated. This method provides better adhesion between the metal and the powdercoat. Also two layers of powder coat will start to get thick and if you have any tight tolerances you could face problems.

:plus1: I'd take the old stuff off first. You could do it yourself. There's a thread around here somewhere where someone stripped their tower and just polished it. I agree with Bill, it will look good no matter what. Good luck!

I took the advice and stripped the old black powdercoat off (not to bad of a job), I drop it off in a few hours and should have it back by Friday at the latest. Took the boat to the place, and he had some color samples and so he had some yellow (bengal yellow) already on hand from anotherthe job that matched extremely close, so I think that is what I will go with. I think if I went with white, it would just be too much white on the boat.

That's for all the info/input!

Well, got pics of the tower now that it is yellow, go ahead and tell me what you think (good or bad)! One mistake I made was I did not specify the gloss level (should have used a semi gloss). No matter how well you think your boat shines, it is no where near the level of a high gloss! I think the yellow looks better when in the shade, it actually looks like it matches, but in the sun it looks like it needs some orange tint to the yellow to match the boat. One good thing is my bimini from Star One should be coming in soon to help break it up some, and I am also looking for some board racks, which may help some as well.

http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z330/jwl019/01%20Malibu%20Sunsetter%20LXi/

X2..definitely made the right choice. I think the yellow will go a lot better with the color Bimini you said you got as well.

Now for the next question, are you going to add white or black tower speakers to accent that yellow?

Edited by JIMJOM

Now for the next question, are you going to add white or black tower speakers to accent that yellow?

Good question! I am first going to add a bimini from Star One/Menace, then board racks (brushed/billet/or whatever it's called), then for speakers I am debating on. I am also thinking about stripping the top rail on the windshield and polishing it.

I have thought about if adding speakers, having the canisters powdercoated yellow if its possible to remove the speakers from the canister easily. Being I've never had any I do not know how easy that would be.