Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 VLX stock sub install

hollifield55

I have been thinking of upgrading the sub in my boat and decided to pull out the stock Rockford setup and look around back there today. I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that the small enclosure should be air tight in order to function properly. What I found on the front of the enclosure is that it was carpeted prior to the sub install, so there is carpet between the sub and enclosure. Digging deeper, I found that the rear of the enclosure doesn't even have any terminals. They simply drilled a hole in the back of the enclosure and ran the wire to the sub!

If I were to make the enclosure air tight, would it increase the sub's performance? If so, how much better should it sound? Anyone with some know-how please chime in.

subrear.jpg

subfront1.jpg

Oh, and it looks like there are only two screws holding the front of the enclosure on. There is a visible gap between it and the rest of the enclosure...... awesome.