Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ZLD or similar device mounting location

BearCreekBum

If work would quit getting in my way I'm about to install my ZLD to complete phase 1 of the stereo upgrade.

I'm trying to decide whether to mount on the left or right side of the steering wheel at the bottom of the dash. What do you guys see as the benefits of one side over the other?

Also, what is the best way to mount the unit. It has two small tabs on the side but the dash does not appear to be thick enough to screw into. I was thinking about fabricating a HDPE mounting plate. Any suggestions or pics are greatly appreciated.

It's a benefit to any system. As far as user interface its usually easier to command the unit on the right if you are right handed, the opposite would probably be true if you were left handed.

If you are gonna use it as a master volume control, I like it on the left hand side, Only be cause when a rider falls you are off the throttle with your right hand , and on takeoff you are on throttle with the right hand also. Opens up the left hand for a quick volume adjustments.

It's a benefit to any system. As far as user interface its usually easier to command the unit on the right if you are right handed, the opposite would probably be true if you were left handed.

I would disagree. Definitely not to ANY system. If it solves a need for the OP then great, if not it's a fair amount of dough to do for no reason.

Guess your right. If a guy doesn't like independednt zone control at the tip of his fingertips, a bump in preamp voltage which is a big plus on these boats black box equipped, and doesnt enjoy clean dynamic range then it isn't needed for sure. Sounds like we agree on that point.

• Like 1

Guess your right. If a guy doesn't like independednt zone control at the tip of his fingertips, a bump in preamp voltage which is a big plus on these boats black box equipped, and doesnt enjoy clean dynamic range then it isn't needed for sure. Sounds like we agree on that point.

I'd personally rather change the head unit. Then you can get all the above as well. Depends on HIS needs. Not for ANY install.

About to install doesn't mean you own it yet. Personally I've never bought a stereo piece without knowing where it was going. And as with all electronics they are typically returnable until installed. The need should still determine mounting location as well.

And again, I never left that topic except to answer your ramblings. Stop steering it without knowing what he wants. The stream that made you wander was a simple question of asking why he wanted it as that surely could change the mounting location significantly. Blind recommendations are ridiculous and telling someone where or what to put without knowing why isn't helpful.

Edited by Deephaven

LOL.... He wants to know which side of the dash to mount his ZLD. You must have missed that one and only question he posed. BTW I own one, what's your excuse for giving him advice on the subject?

Edited by Bobby Light

LOL.... He wants to know which side of the dash to mount his ZLD. You must have missed that one and only question he posed. BTW I own one, what's your excuse for giving him advice on the subject?

Instead of responding with what I am running, I was trying to understand the OP's needs. More explanation found in this post where I replied incorrectly to the wrong thread and can't move it.

Upgrading the head unit isnt a good solution for a lot of us... else then you have that fosgate remote still in the dash and a s*** ton of work rewiring everything. Throwing a ZLD in solves a of of issues for only 3 sets of RCAs, power, ground and remote.

Im gonna put a ZLD where the WS420 currently is. L brakets tight up against the dash, I like it right here.

7001480491_d5f1de1a2e_z.jpg

Upgrading the head unit isnt a good solution for a lot of us... else then you have that fosgate remote still in the dash and a s*** ton of work rewiring everything. Throwing a ZLD in solves a of of issues for only 3 sets of RCAs, power, ground and remote.

Im gonna put a ZLD where the WS420 currently is. L brakets tight up against the dash, I like it right here.

why would you switch to the zld from the 420 when the zld seems to be lesser of a product.

why would you switch to the zld from the 420 when the zld seems to be lesser of a product.

I like to know as well...I'm looking at the buying the WS-420 for my ride, If the ZLD has BT then I will go that route.

nyryan2001 why are you changing?

#1. 420 doesnt allow you to fade out your cabin speakers without over gaining your tower speakers to "beat" the cabin speakers to a high volume. IE not true independent 3 zone control. I'd give it true 2.3483 zone control.

#2. Weak Preamp voltage. If you are putting something like this inline in your system, you should be seeing 7-10v into the amps. you'd be lucky to see 3-4v.

#3 the Eq is terrible, not a contoured response at all... creates descrete spikes in the music.

I would like to see data on actual tested pre amp volts on the ZLD, has anyone seen anything on this?

First things first. I have already purchased the ZLD because I have the POS JBL black box. I hate trying to remember which button to push to turn down the volume when a rider falls. After doing a little research and talking to people on this forum, I decided that this product was the one that would best fit my simple needs.

I had planned on mounting the unit on the right side of the steering wheel because that is where the radio controls are now on the MUX switches. However, after seeing a couple of similar devices mounted on the left it got me thinking maybe I should re-consider.

Bobby Bright (please change your avatar), I think you have confirmed what I was thinking since about half the time I fumble around with the JBL control in the walkway trying to adjust the volume. Usually I hit the wrong button and just change the source input.

Hopefully I'll be able to work on it this weekend and figure out how best to mount it on the left side of the steering wheel.

Thanks for the advice.

Good reason to get one.

As for where to mount it, you get to balance what hand do you have free the easiest/safest most of the time you change it from the drivers seat and how often you change it from elsewhere.

My two cents. I have mine mounted on the right its great for the driver and driver only. On the left it is easier to mess with when floating or hanging out. Personly I dont have or want a headunit. I have been on the clarion for 2 years now and love the headunit less option. I might side grade to the ZLD only for the larger knobs. If I do I will probably mount it on the left. The small Knobs on the clarion are kind of a pain with wet fingers.

P.S. That info is worth a nickle :whistle:

• Like 1

I mounted my WS420 on the right side of the steering wheel, mainly because I didn't want people messing with it everytime we just needed the volume turned up or down. They have a remote that has volume, mute & track selection that they can reach easily. But to have people bumping EQ settings too much would be a PITA to reset each time.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

#1. 420 doesnt allow you to fade out your cabin speakers without over gaining your tower speakers to "beat" the cabin speakers to a high volume. IE not true independent 3 zone control. I'd give it true 2.3483 zone control.

To add further advice to the OP, I put it on the left hand side, so that when resting, it is easy to reach, even when nobody is in the driver's seat. It depends on if you have friends like BIll's who you don't want touching it. It sometimes relieves me when someone takes control of the stereo while I am trying to avoid toobers all over the lake.

Ryan...I am a little dense here. Please clarify point #1. I was thinking an independent sub control would be good, but I don't think that is what you are saying.

Instead of responding with what I am running, I was trying to understand the OP's needs. More explanation found in this post where I replied incorrectly to the wrong thread and can't move it.

Yeah so was I, ya know when he asked where people had them mounted and since I own one of the units in question that qualified me to answer the question. I read your rant over in that other thread and I never said I was an expert (nice dig) on anything, but I was lucky enough to be asked to do the field testing for this unit for a year before they went into production so I would say I know a lot more about it than most including you.

I think the new internet poison is people running around giving advice on things they don't know about or have never tried. I've seen it backfire many times.

If work would quit getting in my way I'm about to install my ZLD to complete phase 1 of the stereo upgrade. I'm trying to decide whether to mount on the left or right side of the steering wheel at the bottom of the dash. What do you guys see as the benefits of one side over the other? Also, what is the best way to mount the unit. It has two small tabs on the side but the dash does not appear to be thick enough to screw into. I was thinking about fabricating a HDPE mounting plate. Any suggestions or pics are greatly appreciated.

I was struggling with the same thing with my mount. The undercut on the dash doesnt go "back" or horizontal far enough to mount to ( I don't think??)