Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Splitting RCA cables?

CincyVLX

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not overly knowledgable about stereo systems, and some of the equipment I have was included with the boat. There are new items being used as well.

With that said:

I have the kenwood KMR-440U (new) and it has 3 preamp outputs. I am currently running a sub, inboat speakers, and tower speakers. My previous cd player only had 2 outputs and the inboats were hooked directly to the head unit.

Upon mounting my tower speaker amp (new), I find out that the old amp that I want to use for my inboat speakers requires two sets of rcas to run the 4 channels. Can I split the rca signal from my preout to supply the 2 rca inputs on the amplifier? Do I even need to supply both rca signals to the amp or will it work with one?

I quickly googled rca splitter and did not see such a thing. If the amp model would help, I can get that later tonight.

Most amps have a switch that you can press to send signal from channels 1+2 to 3+4 only requiring one set of RCA's to the amp. You didn't mention which amp you have so can't tell. But to your question yes you can split the RCA's without a problem to that amp if you need to. They are call an RCA Y adapter. You'll want 1 female to 2 male adapter.

It will look like this.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_04318035/Arista-1-Female-2-Male-RCA-Y-Adapter.html?tp=893

It'll just lower the input voltage a notch when split so that you need to slightly gain up to compensate. No worries on the Y cables though, exactly why amplifiers have gain knobs to compensate for input voltage.

Most amps have a switch that you can press to send signal from channels 1+2 to 3+4 only requiring one set of RCA's to the amp. You didn't mention which amp you have so can't tell. But to your question yes you can split the RCA's without a problem to that amp if you need to. They are call an RCA Y adapter. You'll want 1 female to 2 male adapter.

It will look like this.

http://www.crutchfie...ter.html?tp=893

It is a kicker amplifier. I'm not positive of the exact model. I'll check for the selector switch, but if not, the Y adapter will definitely work.

Thanks for the info!

Cincy - this is a question that coms up a lot when combining new gear with older generation units. I think Bobby and Deep have you steered correctly in that its not a big deal but often times a flick of a switch saves a Y-Cable purchase. One thing to think about in gaining the amplifiers is the output voltage of the Deck. The 440u is rated at 2.5V and its big brother 700u is rated at 4 volts. In simple terms the more output voltage you have, the lower you can turn down your amplifier gains.. And thats the name of the game. splitting signal becomes more of an issue when you have very low deck output voltage.

I think you're not going to do any harm in splitting up your signal a bit to utilize the current amplifier selection. It should also be noted that different amps (old / new) might require different amounts of gain from the same signal. Don't let that worry you either.

Hope that helps.

-Brian

The amplifier model is the Kicker ZX200.4. I downloaded the manual from kicker and it talks about having the fader button off if using both sets of RCA cables.

I'm assuming this is what you were referring to as a "switch" bobby?

If this is correct, I can run one set of rca cables to the amp and have the fader on? Would this be better or worse than splitting the rca signal?

The amplifier model is the Kicker ZX200.4. I downloaded the manual from kicker and it talks about having the fader button off if using both sets of RCA cables.

I'm assuming this is what you were referring to as a "switch" bobby?

If this is correct, I can run one set of rca cables to the amp and have the fader on? Would this be better or worse than splitting the rca signal?

Yes exactly.