Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
twrv

Wake Comparison

Recommended Posts

twrv

The boat show is killing me. We have an 05 Sunsetter XTi, but the wife got to check out a 21 Sunscape at the boat show. So, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience behind both of these boats and could tell me what the wakes are like in comparison.

We need a family boat, but slalom probably 75% of the time, boarding (wake or wake surfing the other 25%). Give me details on how the Sunscape's slalom wakes stack up (our flatten out) for slalom skiing. I'm sure it boards well, but I'm skeptical of it's slalom abilities.

Also, any info you can relate about handling, getting on plane and performance would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Slider

In my opinion the Sunsetter has a little better ski wake. The Sunscape is quite amazing to ski behind if you just remember it's a Vdrive. The biggest advantage of going with the Sunscape is the interior layout, which is much roomier then the DD boats. The other main advantage is how much quieter the Vdrives are. The Sunscape handles well, but not like a DD. The VDs get up on plane very fast, but have more bow rise then your Sunsetter.

By the way welcome to our site, I'm quite sure you will get the info you need.

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tyuhas

The age old quest for the perfect cross over boat. I went from a DD Nautique to the Sunscape 21.5FT 2005. I slalom but the kids board. I feel more of a bump at 30-32 Mph than I remember with the Nautique. I think this is due to the hull change from 2004 to 2005. I had test rode behind a 2004 Sunscape and it was better than my DD Nautique. Then the change in 2005 and I had caught the fever to get a BU -- the ideal is a Response and a VLX !! Having said that I love the seat design and boat in general. I was getting tired of climbing over the motor box to get around ballast bags on the floor.

I felt the XTi was too segmented- seemed like three separate ares on the boat.

Good luck on your decision.

Tom

Welcome to the site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Slurpee

I've got an '01 sunscape LSV. It's got the same hull through '04. In '05 it got bigger. Before we added all the wakeboarding stuff (tower, racks, speakers, etc) the slalom wake with two people in the boat was fine at 30+. Less than that probably means you won't be worrying about the bump anyways because of your skill level. Now that we have the gear there is some bump over 30 with two people in the boat. If it's just a driver and a rider it is fine.

It throws a pretty good wakeboard wake with the wedge, center sack, and 500lbs or so in the bow. We're not die hard wakeboarders though. Mainly we cross over all sports, but really want a good flat wake when we slalom.

Look for an '04 21LSV. It's got the smaller hull, but has the new gorilla fins for improved tracking, and whatever other bling they added up till then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
twrv

Thanks for all of the help and especially for the hospitality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...