Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Cover repair on 2005 RLXi

GreenMan

Repairing after hinge bolts had torn through the engine cover fibreglass.

When I purchased my used 2005 Response LXi, the previous owner had not exactly been fastidious in the care of the boat... I knew I would (and did) be able make it pristine again but there were a few issues to be dealt with.

One was the engine cover hinge bolts had presumably been left loose in the cover and had flogged out the bolt holes through the fiberglass completely on one side and badly worn on the other. Clearly, some reinforcement was required.

I started by removing the cover from the boat and pulled back the carpet to expose the fibreglass. I obtained some aluminium flat bar stock and cut one virtually full width strip for the forward edge and two, smaller sections for the rear side. This material was easily able to follow the contour of the cover while adding suitable strength. The three sections were arranged to sandwich the 'glass in between and were secured with some adhesive and some snugly drilled holes that were tapped in the smaller sections for some stainless steel machine screws. Fresh, snug fitting holes were then accurately drilled for the hinge bolts. Re-glued the carpet into place and it's an invisible fix. Re-installed and all is good!

The end result is a very secure, life-time repair. Maybe it will be useful for anyone else with a similar problem.

Stephen. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Enjoy!

• 7 months later...

Stephen, you did a nice job with that engine cover. I have an additional question. Did you have to mess with the carpet under the vinyl that meets the floor? My question is...you have a very nice "factory edge" where the carpet meets the vinyl. I was wondering if that was factory...or if you have a trick to achieving that end result?

Thanks...

Len

Hi, Len and thanks for the compliment.

The carpet was easily peeled back from the engine side of the fibreglass shell and a little way 'around the corner' in order to obtain enough access for inserting the metal and drilling etc. Once the aluminium had been installed I simply applied fresh contact adhesive to the area and 'rolled' the carpet back to its original position.

Not sure what you mean about vinyl - I didn't go anywhere near the vinyl that is on the upper portion of the cover... I guess the answer is that its all (Australian) factory finish. I just pulled a bit back and then put it back.

Happy to help if you have further questions.

Hope you enjoy your RLXi as much as I have mine! :)

Stephen.

DSCN0379.jpg

DSCN0377.jpg

Edited by GreenMan
  • Like 1