Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Depth Module retro-fit to 2005 RLXi

GreenMan

Installing an OEM Depth Module with transducer drilled through hull.

I decided to add an OEM Depth Module into my 2005 Respnse LXi. I acquired an OEM module and the transducer that requires drilling a hole in the hull for installation. Electrically it was a very simple affair with the hardest part being the routing of the transducer cable from the bilge to the under-dash.

More interesting was the anquish over drilling a hole in the bottom of the hull to accommodate the transducer. After checking the OEM placement of transducers and measuring it all up about a thousand times to make sure there would be no mistake, I fianlly made the hole and all worked out very well indeed. I was able to end up with the transducer surface virtually exactly flush with the hull surface with no gaps or ridges to generate turbulance around the transducer while driving. Works a treat!

To make the hole in the absence of a proper tapered borer or other mandrel, I used two hole saws. Started with one matching the OD of the transducer and carfully drilled from below to a depth I judged would just let the tapered end of the transducer offer up until it became flush. I then used a smaller holesaw of a diameter suitable to match the threaded, thru-hull portion of the transducer and drilled through from above. Some minor trimming of the larger hole 'shoulder' that had been made allowed me to accurately set the bedded-in position of the transducer to make up flush with the hull. Some appropriate sealant (SIKAFLEX) was employed to seal the hole as the device was installed. It can be seen in one of the images of the underside to the starboard of the rear tracking fin.

All worked out very nicely! :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

• 11 months later...

Great write up, looks like it turned out very well. I'd have some elevated BP drilling a hole in the bottom of the boat too.

I recently installed a Hummingbird 407860 in my old skool Malibu Skier, and this particular depth sounder doesn't require drilling a hole for the transducer. It simply requires a firm mounting to the inside of the hull, ideally at a position where the hull allows a near-horizontal angle for the transducer. I'm very impressed with this low cost depth sounder. I can be bombing along at 40mph and she reads steady and accurately, and up to some very deep depths. That's a lot of tech for a $100 bucks. You have to drill a hole in the dash obviously, for the head unit, but that doesn't create quite the anxiety level of drilling a hole in the bottom of the boat.....

Every boat should have a depth sounder. After all, we're not driving around in a food processor or a hair dryer, it's a boat, and it needs to stay on top of the water with at least a bit of water under the keel. How are you going to know how much is there if you're driving along at 40 mph and the water is murky?

Edited by CliffB
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I am trying to fit the LMS-3 module into a Response LXI 2007 and not sure where the various wires go, it has one set for the alarm to power source, another cable with grey plug (connects to?), another with coloured wires with slide on connectors similar to all the switch connectors on the dash and lastly the female connector on the middle back of the module (transducer connection?). Also trying to find the old correct plug for the transducer though the PD-WBL transducer will work it does not have the right plug. Any assistance greatly appreciated.