Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New To This Forum!!

boatlessinbend

Hello Everyone,

I`ve been out of the power boat scene for a number of years, this does not prevent me from remembering the good old days! These were the days of flat bottom, v-drive Sanger hulls and Tahiti hulls with 125 Mercs with surface ridert props and so on. A Yahoo.gif s you can tell, I`m really dating myself, but fun is really where you find it and we had plenty of that. Whenever a new hot boat hit the water it was fair game for ALL the other sleds on the lake to take on! Nothing fancy, just a head to head shoot out! I`m sure that much of the same thing still goes on, I can`t imagine turning down a challenge!!

This is my first post here and I really like the flavor of this forum, it helps that it loads well on my dial-up connection also! Someday, perhaps another power boat, until then, I`ll enjoy sailing and the memories of the past.

The best to all of you, see ya!

Welcome! I look forward to lots of good stories about flat-bottom inboards, big wood skis and good, good times!

My Dad's flat-bottom inboard had a 327 V8, top end of 64 MPH and the trademark ka-whump......ka-whump.....ka-whump idle. Blew the doors (metaphorically) off most 70 - 80 MPH boats in the drags because it was amazingly quick off the line.

He tells great stories of skiing the Sacramento arm from Lakehead to the dam with their big flat skis. They'd ski flat-out, full throttle with a double rope so they would have some reaction time before passing the boat...

Glad to have you here...

Edited by CarveItUp

Wow! Yes, Wakedad is a very appropriate name, never done any wake boarding, even my grandson is one up on me there, though one doesn`t to do this to be a "wakedad", the name is sounding better! Cool! I`ll sleep on it!

See ya!

Wow! Yes, Wakedad is a very appropriate name, never done any wake boarding, even my grandson is one up on me there, though one doesn`t to do this to be a "wakedad", the name is sounding better! Cool! I`ll sleep on it!

See ya!

I think it's already been decided Wakedad!

This is my first post here and I really like the flavor of this forum, it helps that it loads well on my dial-up connection also!

Mr. WakeDad sir - I enjoy all the classic boat history being introduced... but what is this "dial-up" connection you speak of??? Dontknow.gif

Welcome! I look forward to lots of good stories about flat-bottom inboards, big wood skis and good, good times!

Ha, I'm looking forward to embarrassing stories about WakeGirl.

Welcome WakeDad.

WakeDad

You will be at the NW WOW in June, right? In case WakeGirl neglected to mention it to you, it will be June 17-19 at Lake Billy Chinook. We expect to hear lots of embarassing stories about her. :lol:

This is my first post here and I really like the flavor of this forum, it helps that it loads well on my dial-up connection also!

Mr. WakeDad sir - I enjoy all the classic boat history being introduced... but what is this "dial-up" connection you speak of??? Dontknow.gif

In the old days people used to connect to the world on a phone line!!

I just spent the last weekend saving my parents from this fate. Perhaps Wakedad has someone that could help him into to the 21st century :)

Plus1.gif

Welcome WakeDad.

Meh, no good stories there. What you really want to hear are the stories about Wakedad in his youth, he was crazy! Surprised.gif

Welcome WakeDad.

Meh, no good stories there. What you really want to hear are the stories about Wakedad in his youth, he was crazy! Surprised.gif

Well lets get the ball rollin!!!!!! :)

Hello All,

The response to my post has been gratifying and almost overwhelming! Almost! So there is a get-together? Sounds highly interesting! Here`s a story.

I was 17 and had been into boats since I was 14. Naturally the faster the better. My parents owned a succession of outboard boats ranging from a 13` Yates lapstrake to a 16` Pacific Mariner. These were good boats but all were seriously under powered and looked like floating logs, at least to my young keen mind! I was shocked when mom announced that we were going to pickup our brand new boat and motor, in fact I was dumbfounded! The sight of that shiny, gleaming, red metal flake Tahiti hull was more than I could stand, even more, that black and red Mercury 125 sitting proudly on the stern made me weak in the knees! I could not believe my luck! This was stuff only read about in magazines! All I could do was stand there and stare at the most beautiful boat in the world!

That boat and motor proved to be an unbeatable combination, many Sanger inbords went on their trailers with props between legs after an encounter with Big Red, the boat had that special gift of speed and handling that we all cherish and lust after and did so for many years. A legend, one might say.

Age, however, played it`s enevitable hand towards Red and the boat went from a real burner to an old hand not quite up to any high speed sprints. WakeGirl and Slider did a valiant job towards bringing Red back to her former greatness, but in the end, she was a real looker without the teeth to bite! The new owner was wowed by the restoraion work done by WakeGirl and Slider and was quite happy to own a classic boat of the times.

Big Red occupies a special place in my consciousness and there doesn`t go a day that thoughts of racing across the water, spray stinging my face, and the roar of that Merc turning up, doesn`t cross my mind. This I remember well.

Thanks,

Richard