Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to change the shape of my ballast... 08 VTX

Stuey11

Ok here's my dilemma... I have a 08 VTX.. factory MLS center and rear. I have two 440# bags piggybacked in the rear lockers and another 400# of pop bags in the bow. I also have the floating wedge

The wake is nice and big, very peaky, and I get good height on it. However I only ride at 65'.. sometimes 70'.. and 21-22 MPH.. and a lot of my buddies will ride at 60' just to make sure they can go w2w. Anything past 70' and the wake starts rolling over a bit.

last night I rode behind a buddies 08 23 LSV. He has only factory MLS and power wedge. I started at 70' and was throwing myself hard to the flats.. had to ride at 75' just to land tricks I was used to landing... and still occasionally landing in the flats without trying.

I can't see his larger boat giving a narrower wake... so I'm thinking its just the shape of the wake and the angle? My wake is bigger with the extra weight but I feel his is more rampy.. giving me height and good distance.

Any ideas to make my wake closer to his? I have tried more weight in the bow but anything more than the 400# of lead it seems like the bow is just ploughing through the water and will start taking it over the nose. I'd really like to start riding 70 - 75' consistently on my own boat.

Thx crew..

What position is your wedge at? If you are finding too much peak causing it to curl I would try the wedge all the way down or if you are doing that already bring it up completely. I would try filling the rears a bit less after that to see if it changes anything.

It may also be a by product of your riding speed with that much weight. Just try speeding up a bit to 22.8-23mph and push back to 75ft of line length. I am willing to bet this is more then likely your problem. Just go out again with your exact setup and speed up to around the speeds I suggested and see if it cleans up.

Edited by black06VLX

Ok here's my dilemma... I have a 08 VTX.. factory MLS center and rear. I have two 440# bags piggybacked in the rear lockers and another 400# of pop bags in the bow. I also have the floating wedge

The wake is nice and big, very peaky, and I get good height on it. However I only ride at 65'.. sometimes 70'.. and 21-22 MPH.. and a lot of my buddies will ride at 60' just to make sure they can go w2w. Anything past 70' and the wake starts rolling over a bit.

last night I rode behind a buddies 08 23 LSV. He has only factory MLS and power wedge. I started at 70' and was throwing myself hard to the flats.. had to ride at 75' just to land tricks I was used to landing... and still occasionally landing in the flats without trying.

I can't see his larger boat giving a narrower wake... so I'm thinking its just the shape of the wake and the angle? My wake is bigger with the extra weight but I feel his is more rampy.. giving me height and good distance.

Any ideas to make my wake closer to his? I have tried more weight in the bow but anything more than the 400# of lead it seems like the bow is just ploughing through the water and will start taking it over the nose. I'd really like to start riding 70 - 75' consistently on my own boat.

Thx crew..

There is a big diff between a VTX and LSV..dont think you can come close. The LSV is a big heavy boat but I did hear that the VTX does throw a wide wake. Perhaps the shorter length of the boat may have something to do with it. I remember talking to Adam from Axis and he told me the 20ft Axis has a wider wake than the 22ft.