Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Piranha blowing fuse

soundsofsatori

So my center fill ballast blew the fuse again yesterday on my new to me 09 VLX. It happened once before when i first got the boat last month so had some extra fuses with me. Replaced the 5amp under the dash, heard it kick on for a minute or so and another fuse bit the dust. Talked to my dealer and he said this is happening often now that the lakes are getting so low here in Texas and that it was likely debris or clogged with something. He gave me a brief run down and i scoured the crew site about the stock Pirahna pumps. Took the screw out today on the blue top fitting and went to start unscrewing and popped that little piece that holds the screw right off. Doh!! Was then able to unthread and pulled the top of the unit off, no clogs or debris, replaced the fuse and the motor ran just fine out of the unit. Screwed it back on and when I triggered it, the sound was all garbled, like the fins are hitting the sidewall or something. I didn't leave it running long enough to blow another fuse but I imagine it's not centered and the motor is heating up enough to throw it.

Any ideas? Will I need to replace the whole Piranha unit now since that screw fitting is now missing?

Many thanks!!

Edited by soundsofsatori

That little fitting isn't absolutely necessary, just use a washer or something similar on the screw. It prevents the pump collar from loosening. You and order the pumps from here. http://www.wakemakers.com/shurflo-piranha-aerator-ballast-pump-malibu.html For my additonal ballast pumps, I ordered these. http://www.wakemakers.com/attwood-tsunami-ballast-pump-800.html

Edited by skibreeze

That little fitting isn't absolutely necessary, just use a washer or something similar on the screw. It prevents the pump collar from loosening. You and order the pumps from here. http://www.wakemaker...ump-malibu.html For my additonal ballast pumps, I ordered these. http://www.wakemaker...t-pump-800.html

those tsunami pumps are available in your local walmart's boating aisle too.

those tsunami pumps are available in your local walmart's boating aisle too.

I'm having the same problem (also in North Texas, and yes the lakes are low!). I've had 2 pumps go out in the last week. I saw the tsunami's at Wal Mart. $30 bucks is way better than $50 at the dealer for the Pirhana. Anyone have an idea what is required to remove the stock pump housing? I gave it a look and where it connects to the fitting on the ballast tank it looks like it threads on, but it must be glued with pvc cement or something. Any idea how to get that off without damaging the fitting?

So my center fill ballast blew the fuse again yesterday on my new to me 09 VLX. It happened once before when i first got the boat last month so had some extra fuses with me. Replaced the 5amp under the dash, heard it kick on for a minute or so and another fuse bit the dust. Talked to my dealer and he said this is happening often now that the lakes are getting so low here in Texas and that it was likely debris or clogged with something. He gave me a brief run down and i scoured the crew site about the stock Pirahna pumps. Took the screw out today on the blue top fitting and went to start unscrewing and popped that little piece that holds the screw right off. Doh!! Was then able to unthread and pulled the top of the unit off, no clogs or debris, replaced the fuse and the motor ran just fine out of the unit. Screwed it back on and when I triggered it, the sound was all garbled, like the fins are hitting the sidewall or something. I didn't leave it running long enough to blow another fuse but I imagine it's not centered and the motor is heating up enough to throw it.

Any ideas? Will I need to replace the whole Piranha unit now since that screw fitting is now missing?

Many thanks!!

some last a really long time, others not so much, just replace the top of the unit with a new one, all will be good again.

Thanks for the feedback. Great question @pZim, I am wondering the same myself. If it isn't too much trouble to remove the entire housing, I would rather replace the Piranha with the Tsunami but it looks like the bottom half of the unit may be pretty tough to unthread, and definitely don't want to jank up the thru-hull fitting. I may just swap out the top unit and save myself the trouble.

It is that time of the year when Lake Lewisville feels like jumping into warm dirty bath water! Hopefully some of the tropical storm rain will make it over this way.

Thanks for the feedback. Great question @pZim, I am wondering the same myself. If it isn't too much trouble to remove the entire housing, I would rather replace the Piranha with the Tsunami but it looks like the bottom half of the unit may be pretty tough to unthread, and definitely don't want to jank up the thru-hull fitting. I may just swap out the top unit and save myself the trouble.

It is that time of the year when Lake Lewisville feels like jumping into warm dirty bath water! Hopefully some of the tropical storm rain will make it over this way.

Hubbard has been warm like that but I went out Thursday evening and it was a little cool for a change. We were surprised. Now for the pumps- I changed out two of my Piranha pumps this morning to the tsunami 800's I got at Wal Mart. It was no trouble removing the housing. It's easiest to remove the cartridge first, then use the housing to grip and unthread it. One of mine was attached to a thru hull, the other to my bow ballast tank. Both were easy to replace, just wrap the new threads with some Teflon thread tape and you're good to go. I got a little concerned however because the hose fitting on the tsunami is threaded, not a built in barb like the piranha. Never fear, I found the fittings necessary with a 90 degree elbow with barb in the packaging the pump came in. It's just buried behind the cardboard insert. Thread tape it, and screw it on the pump then attach your hose. $30 bucks instead of $50? I'll be switching all mine out to tsunami simply for the convenience. I know you can get the piranha's cheaper online, but then you have to pay shipping, plus you have to wait and Wal Mart is down the street. Summer is too short for waiting!!!

I'm having the same problem (also in North Texas, and yes the lakes are low!). I've had 2 pumps go out in the last week. I saw the tsunami's at Wal Mart. $30 bucks is way better than $50 at the dealer for the Pirhana. Anyone have an idea what is required to remove the stock pump housing? I gave it a look and where it connects to the fitting on the ballast tank it looks like it threads on, but it must be glued with pvc cement or something. Any idea how to get that off without damaging the fitting?

It's easiest to stay with the stock pumps as you can leave the body in place and just replace the cartridge. The bodys are just screwed into the thruhulls, they can be kinda tuff to remove but they are just threaded on.