Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to surf a Response

Wakes

I would like my boat (2001 RLX) to be able to surf if possible. For guests and when it is too rough to ski. I've read back a few pages but i was hoping for some more direct input from you guys. I have no wedge and I would rather not add one of those. I was wondering if I could add enough weight to ride ropeless and if so how I should configure it? I was thinking a couple 750lbs sacs in the surf corner, one along the back seat and one along the engine or something. Also, I have no tower, would connecting the surf rope to the back of the boat work ok? Finally, has anyone solved that issue with the gas vent being so close to the water while weighted down?

Edited by Wakes

I would like my boat (2001 RLX) to be able to surf if possible. For guests and when it is too rough to ski. I've read back a few pages but i was hoping for some more direct input from you guys. I have no wedge and I would rather not add one of those. I was wondering if I could add enough weight to ride ropeless and if so how I should configure it? I was thinking a couple 750lbs sacs in the surf corner, one along the back seat and one along the engine or something. Also, I have no tower, would connecting the surf rope to the back of the boat work ok? Finally, has anyone solved that issue with the gas vent being so close to the water while weighted down?

I'm not sure on weighting without the wedge, but a couple other guys will probably chime in. But I can help here:

-No tower, no problem. You don't need one. I attach the rope to the tow ring on the transom, we've never used the tower.

-Fuel vent is close, but a good driver can come off of power smoothly and be OK, and turn around after the wake has passed. As far as the rouge wake from another boat...not sure there. If you have about 4 guys, that would be your best ballast. 1 750# sac in the side/rear, a 400# sac in the ski locker, then 4 guys that will go to that rear corner when you are towing. When you are not towing, they can go back to the spotter's seat and other places to balance out the weight (in case that rouge wave comes by). Then when back to surfing, back to the rear corner.

We surf our 07 response lxi, port side, with 350 lbs in the rear locker pushed over to the surf side, a 350 and a 400 bag stacked on top of one another in the port rear corner (with rear seat removed), and then a 400 in the bow, also on the surf side. We do have a power wedge, and usually have it 3 clicks up from the bottom reading. I think the size of the wave as well as the length of the pocket is determined more by your ballast, and the wedge just fine tunes the steepness of the wave, if that makes any sense. With enough weight, you should have no problems. We can surf all day long on our wave. Never have used the starboard side since none of us ride goofy. Good luck!

To help water stay out of your your fuel tank I did this for my fuel vent valve, its a little redneck, but works for me with no problems. I took a pair of 5/8 brass garden hose fittings (male and female) and a brass garden hose ball valve. Placed it in the fuel vent line in the trunk of my RLX and mount it as high as you can in the gunnel. If any water gets in the vent the water should drain out when the boat sits level.