Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Malibu LSV Surf Sac Decision

newbie1000

I am about to buy some new ballast sacs from my 2000 23' LSV to go in the rear v-drive compartments. I am looking at the fly high pro s x regular (750 lbs) or jumbo (1,100 lbs). We like to surf so the additional weight would be nice but I don't want to spend the extra money if the constraint is really the size of the compartment and I can't take advantage of the extra size of the jumbo. Anyone on here every fill an 1,100 lbs sack in their 2000 23 LSV?

I am about to buy some new ballast sacs from my 2000 23' LSV to go in the rear v-drive compartments. I am looking at the fly high pro s x regular (750 lbs) or jumbo (1,100 lbs). We like to surf so the additional weight would be nice but I don't want to spend the extra money if the constraint is really the size of the compartment and I can't take advantage of the extra size of the jumbo. Anyone on here every fill an 1,100 lbs sack in their 2000 23 LSV?

Why not just measure the compartment and select a sack that has dimensions that will be able to best fill it?

We surf alot.

I have a 2003 WS23LSV.

Removed the tanks and replaced with 750's in each trunk and plumbed them in.

They fit very well.

I hafta admit have been tempted to upgrade to the new 1100's but the 750's have done very well for us and I just dont want to spend the money this season.

If I did move up to 1100 I would reinforce the motor divider wall thingy - the 750s push on it a little bit but not enough to cause any issues but I figure the 1100s would push a lot more.

You can get approx 900lbs from the 1100lbs sac in the locker. You will need to reinforce the engine divider walls. I would definitely go with the 1100's.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. My boat is about 45 min from my house so I had not had a chance to go take a look before this weekend. After taking a closer look I think the 1100 will fit easily. It may not get all the way full but will definitely take on more weight than the 750's. We have been surfing with a 750 in the rear compartment, 600 in the ski locker and about 400 lbs under the surf side seat (600lbs sack partially full), wedge down. We are able to easily surf with no rope and the wake is nice (12 mph ~2500 rpm). When we have someone sit on the top of the rear compartment it significantly improves the wake which is what leads me to believe the 1100 is just what I need. Unfortunately wakemakers has informed me that I am just outside of my 30 day window to return the 750 so will probably need to wait until next year.

Out of curiousity, most people's surf setup I have read about on here use a lot more weight on the bow. We found that to be detrimental to surf wake. Would moving my 750 to bow help me (once I get the 1100)?

Thanks to everyone for the replies. My boat is about 45 min from my house so I had not had a chance to go take a look before this weekend. After taking a closer look I think the 1100 will fit easily. It may not get all the way full but will definitely take on more weight than the 750's. We have been surfing with a 750 in the rear compartment, 600 in the ski locker and about 400 lbs under the surf side seat (600lbs sack partially full), wedge down. We are able to easily surf with no rope and the wake is nice (12 mph ~2500 rpm). When we have someone sit on the top of the rear compartment it significantly improves the wake which is what leads me to believe the 1100 is just what I need. Unfortunately wakemakers has informed me that I am just outside of my 30 day window to return the 750 so will probably need to wait until next year.

Out of curiousity, most people's surf setup I have read about on here use a lot more weight on the bow. We found that to be detrimental to surf wake. Would moving my 750 to bow help me (once I get the 1100)?

We usually run a 750 up front on our 03 23lsv, but last time we were out (03 23lsv) we opted not to put weight in the bow, but put even more on the surf side than usual and we had a better wake IMO. The pocket lengthened with speed. But we had a much bigger wave with a sweet pocket -- probably the best of the summer. I was stoked. Bottom line -- try playing with ballast up front too but it's not ALWAYS best IMO -- it also depends on # people, weight etc that day.

I'd love to see some pics of the wakes you're getting since you have the same hull.

Edited by rugger

We usually run a 750 up front on our 03 23lsv, but last time we were out (03 23lsv) we opted not to put weight in the bow, but put even more on the surf side than usual and we had a better wake IMO. The pocket lengthened with speed. But we had a much bigger wave with a sweet pocket -- probably the best of the summer. I was stoked. Bottom line -- try playing with ballast up front too but it's not ALWAYS best IMO -- it also depends on # people, weight etc that day.

I'd love to see some pics of the wakes you're getting since you have the same hull.

I use a Fly-High bow sac - the 1000lb triangle one - in the bow. Probably only fill to abou 800lbs or so.

We use it to take full advantage of the manual wedge - need the bow down some for the wedge angle to work.

We wouldn't put that much in the bow if we weren't using the wedge - but we use the wedge 100% of surf time.