Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wake surfing exhaust fumes

Ben Randell

Turn down tips from bakes, says they fit 1996-current models we have them on ours and you can't smell anything when surfing.

You can buy the tips from other Malibu dealers too, but this won't help exhaust smell. The poster's boat does not have CAT exhaust like your VTX does, which eliminates virtually all emissions and smell. This is the only reason why you can surf yours without the smell.

For surfing with older boats I have not used any aftermarket options, and while it's been discussed, the only one I remember offhand is the one that plumbed it into the water like a hollow rudder - I'm still waiting for that dual-stack-up-the-redneck-tower idea to come to fruition. Along with an air horn we could be the talk of the lake!

Peter :)

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

A girl on our lake went home sick after 2 or 3 surf sessions on Saturday. She surfed on her own, plus sat in the back seat for a couple more. Then got light headed & sleepy & nauseous & had to get off the boat. I always wondered why this doesn't happen more often..... especially behind the DDs where the people sit closer to the exhaust, or when people surf right off the swimstep. :unsure:

martinarcher

I'm surprised, but even with no mufflers or cats, I can't smell exhaust behind my boat at all. I get a quick smell of it when getting up on the board, but once underway I don't smell it at all. I've got a pretty keen nose too.

The dangerous emissions do not have a smell to them. I feel better having the cats on my current boat, my old centurion didn't have them. We haven't noticed any issues with anyone surfing behind our boat. I would be interested as to how much emissions are actually coming out of the exhaust on the newer boats with the cats. I would expect it to be significantly less than boats without cats.

Bill, do you know if the boat the girl was on had cats or not?

Kris

Anyone ever look into adding the CATS system? Think they came out on 07 and newer boats right?

I'm sure it's expensive -- and I'm sure they tell you it can't be done. But just curious if anyone has. Biggest hurdle I think would be that Indmar uses a modified version of the newer GM MEFI 5 computer to control it. It's not just a swapping manifolds.

The fresh air exhaust is a great solution because you get the noise reduction too -- but I just think it's too clunky when you have a wedge attached already.

Edited by rugger

Bill, do you know if the boat the girl was on had cats or not?

Kris

Definitely no cats..... boat was an 06 Moomba.

Was talking to another guy on the dock last night. He has an 05 Sanger. Said he was out surfin the other day & fell forward on the wave & that he was body surfin on his chest for a minute or so. I asked him how close his face was to the swimstep & he said maybe 2' or 3' away..... way too close for me for multiple reasons.... ie; the exhaust, his face, etc.

I have fogged a centurion with sideswipe before and it would blow your mind how much exhaust still ended up behind the boat (that was on a trailer) I have no doubt even more would end up in your face when surfing

Well we surf 90% of the time and I to was afraid of the silent killer. I opted for the FAE route and have been happy with the results we have surfed 130 hrs so far this summer and no issues. I also think that by having a bigger wave and the solid large fiberglass swim deck we did not smell any exhaust before installing the FAE.

Here are a couple of photos to show what it looks like with the power wedge.

We have a non cat 07 HH.

Summer2011134.jpg

Here is the wave you can see there is no turbulence from the down pipe

Summer2011154.jpg

And a different angle

Summer2011115.jpg

One Last shot of the FAE

Wedge013.jpg

Summer2011115.jpg

a buddy of mine just did a mod that i am going to do. see how your swim platform cuts into the wake and creates that extra cut in the wake, he got a couple of pieces of 2" thick plastic and used them to raise his swim platform 2". He just put them along between the bracket that attaches to the boat and the swim grid. longer screws. done and done. easy mod that helped the wake.

Bill,

I personally have clocked many hours surfing w/o cats...also riding in the back seat throwing the rope. Never had an issue and neither has anyone else. This leads me to believe that the Moomba may not have been running correctly....??? (We don't ever sit on the sunpad)

Even my wife (Mrs. Ultrasensitive Nose) has never complained.....heck she not only nose when I have been drinking but she can tell me how many and what kind... :lol:

Edit: I know someone will make the comment about CO being oderless and all that.....but HCs are not.....and the two are almost always together....

Edited by Ruffdog

I would like to throw in my experiences as a proffessional firefighter that works around this gas everyday. Carbon Monoxcide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas which is slightly lighter than air that is always present around combustion. While your boat motor is running your smelling the unburnt fuel, carbon and other gases from combustion. Certainly not Carbon Monoxcide. I have surfed behind several boats without cats over the years and each is a little different. Just becaue you can 't smell exhaust doesn't mean you are not getting carbon monoxcide posioning. CO is a byproduct of combustion and is always present if you don't have a CAT to burn it off. I recently purchased a 2006 23 LSV with the HH motor and WOW!!!! What a stinker. Of all the boats I have been on my boat is the worst. I've had it checked out for running properly. This high performance motor just puts out lots of nasty exhaust and CO. We purchased the Fresh Air Exhaust kit from Larry at FAE and are very pleased with the results. Before the FAE I was choked out by exhaust when surfing. I certainly would get very strong smells. There was NO way anyone could be on the sunpad or swim platform while under way. This also ment I was posioning myself and anyone of my kids I allowed to be back there. With the FAE installed the exhaust and CO are know being redirected into the prop wash. We now can place people anywhere we want to.(standing on the swim platform, laying on the sunpad and of course surfing) I have read quite a few posts from BU owners stating that they don't have a CO problem becasue they don't smell exhaust. Ask any of your surfers or friends on the platform if they have ever had a headache at the end of the day. This is CO poisoning. I've been there myself.

I just thought I would give my experiences and knowledge back to the BU who have helped me so much over the last two years. Keep it up BU crew.

Robert

I would like to throw in my experiences as a proffessional firefighter that works around this gas everyday. Carbon Monoxcide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas which is slightly lighter than air that is always present around combustion. While your boat motor is running your smelling the unburnt fuel, carbon and other gases from combustion. Certainly not Carbon Monoxcide. I have surfed behind several boats without cats over the years and each is a little different. Just becaue you can 't smell exhaust doesn't mean you are not getting carbon monoxcide posioning. CO is a byproduct of combustion and is always present if you don't have a CAT to burn it off. I recently purchased a 2006 23 LSV with the HH motor and WOW!!!! What a stinker. Of all the boats I have been on my boat is the worst. I've had it checked out for running properly. This high performance motor just puts out lots of nasty exhaust and CO. We purchased the Fresh Air Exhaust kit from Larry at FAE and are very pleased with the results. Before the FAE I was choked out by exhaust when surfing. I certainly would get very strong smells. There was NO way anyone could be on the sunpad or swim platform while under way. This also ment I was posioning myself and anyone of my kids I allowed to be back there. With the FAE installed the exhaust and CO are know being redirected into the prop wash. We now can place people anywhere we want to.(standing on the swim platform, laying on the sunpad and of course surfing) I have read quite a few posts from BU owners stating that they don't have a CO problem becasue they don't smell exhaust. Ask any of your surfers or friends on the platform if they have ever had a headache at the end of the day. This is CO poisoning. I've been there myself.

I just thought I would give my experiences and knowledge back to the BU who have helped me so much over the last two years. Keep it up BU crew.

Robert

Typical problem with me is that I never take the time to explain things as thoroughly as I should. Just because an engine seems like it is running well doesn't mean that it is. I have worked with many vehicles that run seemingly well but won't pass DEQ. Some even run well until you tune them for DEQ. (we are talking older pre OBD2 vehicles). My point here is that if you ARE experiencing problems with CO then maybe you should look at engine performance.

I understand there are a lot of factors at work here however as long as no one has ever complained behind my boat or sitting in the back seat I am ok with it.

I don't know, maybe I have have become a bit cynical when it comes to safeties fine line.....when the fire martial tours the shop and comments that she wants the battery disconnected every time a car is left in the shop overnight I get a little testy. :lol:

a buddy of mine just did a mod that i am going to do. see how your swim platform cuts into the wake and creates that extra cut in the wake, he got a couple of pieces of 2" thick plastic and used them to raise his swim platform 2". He just put them along between the bracket that attaches to the boat and the swim grid. longer screws. done and done. easy mod that helped the wake.

I also have done a deck mod by using a teak deck and just cut it down to not hit the wave. The only issue is that when the boat is slumped it is very slippery so I only use it when the guys go because the girls all complain that we lest the padded swim platform at home.

Lol, $222 for some freaking chrome exhaust tips! I'll stick with my rubber flappers.

That is for Each One Holy Smokes...I'm getting mine dipped in Gold :crazy:

Wake My Day --- Well put!

I'd love to get a pulse oximetry for CO out there and take readings before and after for each surfer, the way it's done before and after fires (in some places). In talking with FAE, he said his environmental CO measurements were highest on the swim platform and back sun pad, not neccesarily highest behind the boat for surfers.

But -- they do call CO the silent killer for a reason. Even perfectly running motors produce it, and you won't smell or taste it. We've never had any problems, nor have I any friends who have, but I do know problems and "surprises" exist. Our biggest worry is the kids -- which are more vulnerable (for several reasons) to CO. Which is why I'll probably be doing something in the future -- probably FAE. Would love to find a way to put the newer CATS on though, but that'd be a lot of upgrading/ECM/work and probably wouldn't make sense dollar for dollar.

Edited by rugger
martinarcher

It would be cool to have a waterproof CO monitor you could clip to your vest that would record peak levels while surfing. I'd sure be curious what I am exposed to behind my old Bu with no cats.

You could have a standard portable CO monitor and add a remote sample system and have someone in the boat run the probe out to where you are surfing. We use these monitors every day for several types of gas and they are fantastic.

BW

Remote sampler

Edited by Malibuzer