Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

For those with tinted window Bu's

Wakeslasher69

How dark and why?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What % tint did you go with on your windshield?

2. 2. Primary reason you tinted your windows.

• Looks
    • Heat reduction in cockpit
    • Privacy
    • reduce sun glare
    • protect interior from some sun

Just throwing it out there for more discussion! I'm trying to decide how dark to go on the tint so just looking for some feedback! TIA! :rockon:

I went with 20%. It doesn't look as dark as it does on a car because you have ambient light on both sides of the glass in a boat.

IMG_0055.jpg

Edited by WhoaNellie

I went with 20% the first time and went with 5% this time. Im doing it cause i want the windshield to be black so the darker the better. I thought 20% would be dark, but it just wasnt dark enough for my taste. For looks I think 5% is the most aggressive look you can add.

I went with 20% the first time and went with 5% this time. Im doing it cause i want the windshield to be black so the darker the better. I thought 20% would be dark, but it just wasnt dark enough for my taste. For looks I think 5% is the most aggressive look you can add.

The most aggressive without actually spray painting your windows black :crazy:

Just throwing it out there for more discussion! I'm trying to decide how dark to go on the tint so just looking for some feedback! TIA! :rockon:

The boat looks WAY better with the tinted glass. I went with the limo on the sides, and one shade lighter for the front glass.

post-10521-026232000 1313086724_thumb.jp

The boat looks WAY better with the tinted glass. I went with the limo on the sides, and one shade lighter for the front glass.

That is a really good idea. I might do that myself.

Any of you guys wish you didn't due to night vision problems?

Nope, very rarely am I boating in the dark. Tint or no tint, its too hard to spot hazards and react in time.

After reading this I think I am going to go with the 20% on my new wakesetter. I did 35% Carbon on my old boat and it looked and performed great we will see how the 20 works out at night.

Any of you guys wish you didn't due to night vision problems?

I've got 5% all the way around and have not had a single vision issue with it yet. I've really come to appreciate it in the evenings / sunset during the westbound drive back to the dock!

Because the interior of the boat glass is not shaded like it is with a hardtop vehicle, 20 percent light transmittance on a boat appears like 35 percent on a car. So you have to go darker if you want the same contrasting appearance as you are used to on a car.

We try and avoid installing film less than 20 percent for safety reasons. If you have verticle glass with lights behind you reflecting off the interior of the windshield then you are pretty much running blind with 5 percent limo.

David

Earmark Marine

yes, I took mine off because of that.

Bought my boat with the tint on it. I really liked the look of it but just was not practicle on cloudy days or when it started to get dark out. Night driving through the Marina - not fun.

Removed it last week.

I like the tint look and would take this approach also. My seat is raised 3" (and I am 6-2) so I pretty much don't look through the windshield much unless it's raining and I slouch down.