Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Someone clue me in!

mainekneeboarder

With some of the post I have seen on here lately about MB boats changing and hinting going on, and then seeing the list of new options on another site I'm assuming someone from Malibu stepped over to MB as part of there design team? But you know what assuming does for ya. So clue me in, whats the scoop?

MB new upgrades. Alot of these sound familiar.

Pop up pylon

Drop in Carpet

New underwater gear (the boat handles SOOOO Much better now)

Wetsounds sound systems standard (tower speakers optional)

New diamond plate style billet accents

MB logo in floor drain

New color matched interior inserts

New vinyl patterns

(new front top deck on the F21)

New vinyl textures

Extended steps on rear of trailer for easy access into the boat

New ballast switch location

No more electric engine cover, now three gas shock assisted hatches

WArming tray

Built in storage on outside locker hatches

New metallic gel options and schemes

Edited by mainekneeboarder

I don't know of anything specific, but it happens quite a bit in the boating industry. Especially in the Merced area where MB is based, along with the old Malibu factory, Skiers Choice (Supra & Mooba), and Calabria (at the very least).

I fear the malibu we all loved is moving in another direction. And not a good one. At least we all have our boats.

True IMO as well. I love this boat I have now but if I ever felt the need for a new one I'm 99% postiive it wouldn't be a malibu.

I don't know of anything specific, but it happens quite a bit in the boating industry. Especially in the Merced area where MB is based, along with the old Malibu factory, Skiers Choice (Supra & Mooba, and Calabria (at the very least).

:no:

Malibu

Calabria

MB (Atwater, next to Merced)

Centruion

I stand corrected..... I meant Centurian. :crazy:

Go ahead and sit down. :Tease3: Don't mean to be a know it all but my office is near all of them.

isn't sanger nearby too?

Sanger, CA..... a few miles south.

So LS-One, is there any benefit to being in the area of all that boat manufacturing? Do you see the prototypes or the newest models before everyone else?

Sanger, CA..... a few miles south.

So LS-One, is there any benefit to being in the area of all that boat manufacturing? Do you see the prototypes or the newest models before everyone else?

Yes, believe it or not most of the companies use the same cardlock fuel station we do so I see a lot of boats there on the way to lake trials or photo shoots. Most companies use a little lake called Lake Yosemite on the northern outskirts of Merced for water test.

Edit: before Malibu built the new plant and private test lake, they used to have two full time guys pulling 4-5 boats out to Lake Yosemite every day.

Edited by LS-One

Well I feel good now that I have learned something new today! :biggrin:

I have said it before, I still think the 05 era boats look the best. I like some of the new options on the new boats but the styling has gone away a bit IMHO. The currant Ride series ( 05-08 hull? ) look better to me then the newer VLX/LSV boats. Don't care for MBs styling ether thou.

Edited by mainekneeboarder

Yes, believe it or not most of the companies use the same cardlock fuel station we do so I see a lot of boats there on the way to lake trials or photo shoots. Most companies use a little lake called Lake Yosemite on the northern outskirts of Merced for water test.

Yea, I can imagine so. Has to be kind of interesting seeing some of the more extravagant designs. Or something that ends up being a complete flop.

I know living around the waterski factories in Seattle we always saw some strange one-off designs. People would have them out on Lake Sammamish, or you'd see them at garage sales. I found a number of old test skis underneath a deck in some condos I was living in.... come to find out that Herb, Wiley & some of their buddies lived in these condos years ago. Some of the skis were built specifically with advertising on them for companies like Nautique, Michelob, etc. Others were R&D... including some old foils from the 1960s. I still have that old foil. Pretty funny to see what they were playing with 40+ yrs ago compared to what we have now.

I don't know of anything specific, but it happens quite a bit in the boating industry. Especially in the Merced area where MB is based, along with the old Malibu factory, Skiers Choice (Supra & Mooba), and Calabria (at the very least).

:no:

Malibu

Calabria

MB (Atwater, next to Merced)

Centruion

I stand corrected..... I meant Centurian. :crazy:

Actually skiers choice is near Malibu....just in Tennessee.

Yea, I can imagine so. Has to be kind of interesting seeing some of the more extravagant designs. Or something that ends up being a complete flop.

I know living around the waterski factories in Seattle we always saw some strange one-off designs. People would have them out on Lake Sammamish, or you'd see them at garage sales. I found a number of old test skis underneath a deck in some condos I was living in.... come to find out that Herb, Wiley & some of their buddies lived in these condos years ago. Some of the skis were built specifically with advertising on them for companies like Nautique, Michelob, etc. Others were R&D... including some old foils from the 1960s. I still have that old foil. Pretty funny to see what they were playing with 40+ yrs ago compared to what we have now.

I really don't recall seeing any anything that didn't make to production. I think these guys tend to really do their homework in R&D. I'm not savvy enough to notice a small change in the wetted surface which I would think is where more boo boo's would tend to surface.

Out of respect for the industry I don't comment on this site what I've seen over the years, I've always tried to put myself in their shoes.

they used to have two full time guys pulling 4-5 boats out to Lake Yosemite every day.

Cool job, as long as you got to test them too.

Well I feel good now that I have learned something new today! :biggrin:

I have said it before, I still think the 05 era boats look the best. I like some of the new options on the new boats but the styling has gone away a bit IMHO. The currant Ride series ( 05-08 hull? ) look better to me then the newer VLX/LSV boats. Don't care for MBs styling ether thou.

Same here. I think the '01-'04 Sunsetter LXi might be Malibu's best-looking boat ever, closely followed by the Response from 2001-whenever they went away from the three-color scheme and large drip-molded Malibu decal. (which I bet you could still get)

My favorite boat ever looked like this guy with the colors inverted below the rub rail with the aforementioned decal. This is still my favorite paint scheme Malibu ever used. Peter did a great job on this one BTW! :rockon:

DSCF4216.jpg

Edited by UWSkier

Does anyone else find it funny that MB is stoked on these "new" improvements? IMO they are about 3 years behind on everything they do. Sounds like someone finally got through to Mike about the functionality of his wakeboard boats. Maybe they will finally have more than one 12v. adapter.

I have to agree about the mid 2000 bu's they are still my favorite. With that said the newest VLX hull is quite amazing. I am certain the next gen V Ride is going to be the boat to have.

every time I go out on my vlx I am more impressed with the hull. It really is that good...

i still like the look of the vride better - i like how the chines don't come up out of the water line. it gives it a much sleeker and cleaner look IMO.

every time I go out on my vlx I am more impressed with the hull. It really is that good...

i still like the look of the vride better - i like how the chines don't come up out of the water line. it gives it a much sleeker and cleaner look IMO.

Exactly why I like that hull better too, I don't care for the cut up, edgy look of the newer hull, still like the old tower better also. The older hull kind of reminds me of the old muscle car look, sleek and fat looking. But that's just my opinion.