Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 VLX for surfing

Kris8

I have an 05 VLX with stock ballast, 2 rear & 1 middle (no front). Just getting into surfing and want to know where to add weight for a better, longer wake. I was thinking 750 in rear surf side locker and at least 400 in bow? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.

I have the same boat. We run 750 in the rear along with the center tank and the tank on the surf side. 400 seems to be the correct amount up front for the boats. Be careful when turning though, you will chilly dip the front if you are not careful. We run about 10mph, toss in a couple people and a driver that knows how to move people according to the wave and you are good to go.

Have fun, be safe

Edited by scotth

don't even bother witht he 750. i ride stock full minus non surf side. wedge down, 1100 in the locker and 370 underneath the side seats. i also have the bow ballast so that is 350 up there so you do need it esp with the wedge. the wave is huge, has a long pocket, and is clean. no need to turn.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same question except I have an 08 VLX--I guess I would need the same set up tho... I just got the boat last week and we had a hard time setting up the surf wake. All I have is stock ballast in both rear and center and power wedge. nothing up front. If I add extra sacs to the back would it be one 750lb sac on each side? and fill depending on which side is surfed? Thanks from a newbie!

In my 05 VLX, I've stopped running the center tank full when surfing on the port side (passenger side). I've found that the boat lists over better and the wake is significantly cleaner. My theory is that more weight at the keel keeps the boat from leaning, which makes the wave "dirtier" on top.

We run 750 + stock in the rear locker, center 1/4 full (or less), MLS bow (350 for reference) and about 300 under the port seats plus any friends we can add. I've found that the wedge gives the wave a lot more "push." One big change from everyone else here, our speed is by far the best at 8.8 on perfect pass. As you speed up the wave flattens out quite a bit IMO.

IF you're running starboard side (driver) I've found stock ballast and a couple people makes a great wake. Throw the 750 in the corner and get ready to get radical.

IMG_0943.jpg

Rider is 6 feet 220 4'8" Ronix Cortez

In my 05 VLX, I've stopped running the center tank full when surfing on the port side (passenger side). I've found that the boat lists over better and the wake is significantly cleaner. My theory is that more weight at the keel keeps the boat from leaning, which makes the wave "dirtier" on top.

We run 750 + stock in the rear locker, center 1/4 full (or less), MLS bow (350 for reference) and about 300 under the port seats plus any friends we can add. I've found that the wedge gives the wave a lot more "push." One big change from everyone else here, our speed is by far the best at 8.8 on perfect pass. As you speed up the wave flattens out quite a bit IMO.

IF you're running starboard side (driver) I've found stock ballast and a couple people makes a great wake. Throw the 750 in the corner and get ready to get radical.

IMG_0943.jpg

Rider is 6 feet 220 4'8" Ronix Cortez

8.8 seems really slow..have you verified your speed with GPS? I would think you wake would be complete wash at that slow of a speed.

don't even bother witht he 750. i ride stock full minus non surf side. wedge down, 1100 in the locker and 370 underneath the side seats. i also have the bow ballast so that is 350 up there so you do need it esp with the wedge. the wave is huge, has a long pocket, and is clean. no need to turn.

Nothing wrong with 750 man...but if he hasnt bought a sac yes consider the 1100.

8.8 seems really slow..have you verified your speed with GPS? I would think you wake would be complete wash at that slow of a speed.

I had it calibrated by the dealer before the season, but you're right I should probably check it!