Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Echelon throttle control loose

I have a 93 Echelon and the throttle control is loose and will not hold slow speeds. When I am going at idle or 10-20mph the throttle will slip back into neutral if your hand is not on the throttle control.

Is there a way to tighten it up so it is not quite a loose? I have heard these controls are bomber so there must be a way to stop the throttle arm from slipping into neutral.

Thanks,

Todd

Yes, you can rebuild and restore the throttle control. the four screws will allow removal from the gunnel, the throttle cable is held with a cotter keyed pin. the unit can be disassembled and rebuilt. Make sure you keep the two rubber nubs because that is the friction device that keeps the throttle in place, if I remember correctly there is a nut that holds the throttle to the friction disc. Google either teleflex or morse controls for diagrams of the unit.

Slips back to neutral, like out of gear?

Mine holds cruising speed and idle speed and that's about it. I've never had a boat that you can take your hand off and it will stay where you left it in all positions. Figured it was normal. If it were too stiff I would think it would be difficult to adjust and maintain speed with a good skier pulling the boat around.