Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Alternator Advice for a 2000 VLX

I bought a used 2000 VLX recently in San Francisco and my employer moved me to Omaha right after. On the way to Omaha I spent a week on Lake Powell (Best Lake Ever!) and the boat ran great. When I reached Omaha I took boat to a local lake and started to have problems. First thing that happened was as soon as I started the boat the perfect pass kept turning on and off on and off and I couldn't turn it off or make it stop beeping and resetting. When I tried to give it some throttle the engine started to take off then bogged down. I could only get the boat to drive 10mph max. I trailered the boat and took it to the local Malibu dealer (Valley Marine) the next day.

The dealer told me I'd have to wait a week and a half before they could get to it. So I waited. At the end of the second week, they called me and told me the problem was the alternator, and that it also needed a tune up and new spark plug wires. The dealer told me it would cost about a $1000 dollars ($420 being the alternator). That seemed very expensive, but I told them to go ahead, I really wanted the boat back on the water by next weekend.

The next week goes by and I end up calling on Thurs concerned that I haven't heard from them yet. I was told sorry but the part hasn't come in and they had no way to track the alternators arrival date. I follow up weds with a call and they say its arrived but all their techs are out doing service calls. I'm assured they will get on it first thing thurs. I patiently wait and end up calling them on Friday about 2 hours before they close. The dealer tells me they're working on it now (at the last minute) having a hell of a time getting the pulley off the old alternator, and ask me if I ran the boat in Saltwater. I tell them no and they guy I bought it from was a lake boater only, but he did live near San Francisco. The dealer proceeds to tell me how they tried everything from WD-40 to trying to beat it off with a hammer. At this point I'm so disillusioned with these mechanics that I just want to get my boat back and I'll repair it. I don't mention that there is an alternator

pulley tool similar to a gear puller at any automotive store for about $50. I'm not a mechanic but I don't know how they wouldn't have one of these. The dealer says he's gonna have to order one. I ask him is this a common part? is this going to be quick? He tells me its a common part but doesn't come with the new alternator.

Another weekend goes by ( Four total weekends now) and I agonize not having my boat and endure another 100+ degree weekend. I call again monday (today) in the afternoon and ask him if he ordered the part. Yes he did. How long, before it gets here? Well.. its at least a four days before it ships once you order it.. What??? Can't you expedite ship? Yes we can, but the Indmar factory will still take 4 days to process the order. I hang up severely pissed off at this point. Tomorrow I'm calling and will tell them to put all the parts in the boat and have the bill ready. Hopefully the pulley isn't ruined from the hammering. I wonder also why they dont have the alternator rewound for $100 or so instead of charging me $420, I also wonder why diagnostics and a tune up will total $580. At this point i just want the boat back.

Now.... thanks to anyone who just listened to that.. I feel better already.. My question now is... if the pulley is no longer re-usable, is it a part I can get from an auto parts store? does anyone have a part number? Does anyone know what type of pulley was on the 5.7L EFI Indmar engine in 2000? Is it a serpentine or a v-belt? I find many different alternator replacements but from what I can tell the Prestolite 50 amp alternator was stock. Is this correct? I just need this info to order another pulley ASAP, but I don't have the boat yet to look to see what it is. Thanks for your help in advance.

Edited by Formorian

I bought a used 2000 VLX ....... My question now is... if the pulley is no longer re-usable, is it a part I can get from an auto parts store?

does anyone have a part number?

Does anyone know what type of pulley was on the 5.7L EFI Indmar engine in 2000?

Is it a serpentine or a v-belt?

I find many different alternator replacements but from what I can tell the Prestolite 50 amp alternator was stock. Is this correct?

I just need this info to order another pulley ASAP, but I don't have the boat yet to look to see what it is.

Thanks for your help in advance.

You can measure the pulley or take it with you to the auto store. It's probably an automotive standard or u can get it from ski-dim. call discount inboard marine, or, Bakes Marine, they're great! DIM will prob know if it's auto std.

You can measure the pulley or take it with you to the auto store. It's probably an automotive standard or u can get it from ski-dim. call discount inboard marine, or, Bakes Marine, they're great! DIM will prob know if it's auto std.

Thanks. I pick the boat up tomorrow, so I'll see what shape the old pulley is in after being beat on with a hammer. I'll carry the whole alternator inside the auto parts store if I have to. Thanks also for the parts store links, I've found Bakes but never heard of Ski-Dim, I'll check them out.

dang man I'd love to help but you need some paragraph breaks in that post. It's like a beatnik stream of conciousness poem.

Dude,

Sorry about that.

I was severely tweaked.

I just put my head down and chicken pecked until I felt better.

I'll try to put

more paragraph breaks

in next

time

:rockon: :rockon:

martinarcher

Wow - I would be hot. Almost a month to change an alternator and it's still not done! The three stooges could do it faster than that. Crazy.gif

I would do the same thing - bring it home and do it myself. I also wouldn't be paying for a dime of labor after waiting that long - that's ridiculous. I guess that's one reason I do all my own boat work. I can order the parts and I'm the only one responsible for delays.

Like others said - Bakes or SkiDim could hook you up with a pulley if you can't find one locally, but I would guess the local parts store could come up with the right serpentine pulley of the dealer beat yours to death and a gear puller won't get it off.

Good luck - hope your back on the Bu ASAP!

Edited by martinarcher

Wow - I would be hot. Almost a month to change an alternator and it's still not done! The three stooges could do it faster than that. Crazy.gif

I would do the same thing - bring it home and do it myself. I also wouldn't be paying for a dime of labor after waiting that long - that's ridiculous. I guess that's one reason I do all my own boat work. I can order the parts and I'm the only one responsible for delays.

Like others said - Bakes or SkiDim could hook you up with a pulley if you can't find one locally, but I would guess the local parts store could come up with the right serpentine pulley of the dealer beat yours to death and a gear puller won't get it off.

Good luck - hope your back on the Bu ASAP!

Thanks for comisserating with me. I don't feel all alone now. :crazy: Unfortunately I learned a great lesson, and I suppose all "new to boat"owners discover the pains of boat repair. I definately will be doing everything myself from here forward. What I don't know I will learn. Some lessons are just soooooo painful.

Unless you live somewhere that boating is so pervasive that it's year round or nearly so, that's the problem. For me out here in the desert, in the heat of summer (which really only lasts about 10 weeks), its very hard to find a good tech and very expensive and rare to get a boat repair water tested.

Someone On here once said that if you are going to own a boat you're going to be a mechanic.

Sounds like we'll be seeing more of you on here :thumbup: Get your boat back ASAP!! DIY is the way to go, no one to blame but yourself and all info you'll ever need is either all ready here or will be soon after you ask. Your dealer sounds like a bunch of morons, ask them if they've ever heard of PB Blaster and letting it soak over night...? I would also have that alternator bench tested before you take the pulley off.

Doing the maintenance and most repairs yourself will save big piles of cash, but more importantly you will not be at the mercy of the service manager. Spend a few evenings reading the posts under maintenance on this site, it is amazing how much information is on this forum.

Unless you live somewhere that boating is so pervasive that it's year round or nearly so, that's the problem. For me out here in the desert, in the heat of summer (which really only lasts about 10 weeks), its very hard to find a good tech and very expensive and rare to get a boat repair water tested.

Someone On here once said that if you are going to own a boat you're going to be a mechanic.

I'll remember that quote.

Sounds like we'll be seeing more of you on here :thumbup: Get your boat back ASAP!! DIY is the way to go, no one to blame but yourself and all info you'll ever need is either all ready here or will be soon after you ask. Your dealer sounds like a bunch of morons, ask them if they've ever heard of PB Blaster and letting it soak over night...? I would also have that alternator bench tested before you take the pulley off.

I work with a bunch of mechanics, and they originally wanted me to bring the boat to work. I wish I had, but being an electrician I'm always being asked to fix stuff at peoples homes. I didnt want to impose. I will also try to get my old alternator back and bench test like you mentioned. If it really is bad I'll have it rewound. Good to have spares.

martinarcher

I work with a bunch of mechanics, and they originally wanted me to bring the boat to work. I wish I had, but being an electrician I'm always being asked to fix stuff at peoples homes. I didnt want to impose. I will also try to get my old alternator back and bench test like you mentioned. If it really is bad I'll have it rewound. Good to have spares.

Why is that? I'm the same way - easy saying yes when someone needs my help, but man I struggle asking someone else for help because I feel like I'm inconveniencing them. :dontknow:

Why is that? I'm the same way - easy saying yes when someone needs my help, but man I struggle asking someone else for help because I feel like I'm inconveniencing them. :dontknow:

Same reason someone invented the GPS so we wouldn't have to ask for directions anymore....

I'll remember that quote.

That was / is me.

Formorian,

Like others have already said, you're getting jerked around. There's no reason in the world that any 10 yr. old couldn't get an alt. pulley off. Just heat it with an Oxy. Acetelene torch and hit it with Ndawg's purse, should pop right off!

Something you need to know is that circa 2000 boats had a problem with alternator bracket bolts shearing off until they get an updated bracket installed. You're due for that bracket now. Read this.

Also, like others have said, study this forum and you will almost never need to bring your boat back to that crook that has it now.

BTW, I have a 2000 WS vlx and have heard about boats before.