Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blew 2 tires - check out this pic :D

wakeboarder3780

So I had a stem crack on me when taking the boat out and i replaced that tire with my spare. Then proceeded to make the short 1.5 hour drive home. 20 minutes from home, this happened :D

img0547lf.jpg

Decided to just get off the highway and limp home at 25, hopefully i didnt drag the rim at all, it looked in good shape when we got home and I don't think I ruined the rim at all but.. jeeze what a day! Thought the tire pic was worth sharing for its hilarity :D

Looks pretty bad. You could have pulled that wheel off and limped home on just one wheel on that side and you wouldn't have had to worry about fender damage.

I've had this happen twice now on my Extreme trailer with the factory tires! Each time the tire rips apart like a retread and grabs onto the fenders and messes that up too. Now both fenders are equally jacked up. Going to try and see if insurance will cover it.

The screwy thing is that both times I've had nearly no luck replacing the stock 235/60 r15's. It seems like a size that no one really can find.

I've had this happen twice now on my Extreme trailer with the factory tires! Each time the tire rips apart like a retread and grabs onto the fenders and messes that up too. Now both fenders are equally jacked up. Going to try and see if insurance will cover it.

The screwy thing is that both times I've had nearly no luck replacing the stock 235/60 r15's. It seems like a size that no one really can find.

I just had to replace one and had to special order it and it wasn't cheap!

Terry

Glad you got it home with no damage. Funny, I was out on Nokomis yesterday with my parents and they were commenting on how much fun you guys were having. They didn't even care that you broke the 6pm "gentleman's agreement". They just like to see people out there having fun. Makes them think of all the skiing we did there growing up. I think my Dad said something along the lines of:

a) "You should have seen the Malibu on our lake this weekend!"

b) "There's really nobody out there after dark anyway."

At least you got all your play time done before anything bad happened. :rockon:

Did you have to back your truck in past the front bumper to get that thing to float on that public ramp? I had my front tires in the water to get my Echelon off two weeks ago.

I carry chain to be able to chain up the axle if I have dual blowouts on one side.....learned the hard way. You can replace one tire but the second axle leaf springs share a center pivot point. You will notice this as you let the trailer down off the jack. Your fender will rub if you do not chain up the axle, it actually doesnt allow the tire to rotate if you don't.

You don't have to replace them with the same size tire. You can easily find a tire fitment tool that will tell you the diameter of different size tires, a little homework and you can figure out what other sizes will fit your rims and will work with your clearance and be close to the same diameter.

sorry for you, but i can tell by the rust on your rim in the picture that you are not up on your maintenance

Chains or a heavy duty strap will work. I lost a leaf spring once on the rear axle. Lost the axle, both tires and rims, and almost the prop shaft. The trailer guard saved it. A 20 min drive took a couple of hours plus rigging time, hence we used some straps to secure the axle position. No other damage, we were lucky!

Wow that sucks.... At least I can find my Toyo Proxies at my local Les Schwab, they aren't cheap but readily available.

You use Toya Proxies for your trailer tire? Are they load rated for use with trailer?

You use Toya Proxies for your trailer tire? Are they load rated for use with trailer?

Honestly not sure but they are stock tires used by the trailer manufacture. To boot they have preformed better than the Carlises on my older trailer.

I vote for it being a GY Marathon

My guess too but, I'd like to confirm.

Looking forward to ordering a set of 5 new Carlisles next season to replace my 8 yr. old, perfectly good Carlisles.

My guess too but, I'd like to confirm.

Looking forward to ordering a set of 5 new Carlisles next season to replace my 8 yr. old, perfectly good Carlisles.

Mine were perfectly good too until one blew and beat up the fender and running light. With that being said, I think the next set will be the same.

These were Goodyear marathon radials (ST205/75R14 if anyone cares) so they should have been decent quality. I didnt notice much weathercracking until i really looked close at the tread and then some some small weathercracks, I guess I will inspect closer and be much pickier in the future. FWIW my tires can be found at the local fleet farm for 82 bucks installed.

JK13, I was going to txt you too to see if you happened to be up that weekend, but forgot my phone and was giving the kids pulls all day long. We definitely broke the gentlemens agreement that night and i felt kind of bad about it - we were out way too late too but I felt bad becuase my niece and her boyf were waitin all night while i was pulling the nephews. We ran 2 boats both days and could just barely keep everyone satisfied. I'm glad they weren't too peeved at us, but I definitely looked around and there were no fishermen out at all, so i figured whats the harm.

As for my trailer, I have 2 independent torsion bar suspension axles. Which means I don't have to worry about chaining up one axle I can limp home as is. I would highly recommend that setup if you get to choose, it's very nice when you have an incident like this, just limp home anyway. Yes I could have pulled the tire off but the rim was well above where it would be rubbing even if i went over a little bump so I let er be and saved myself some side-of-the-road troubles.

As for the comment about the rims I'm hoping that was a joke. Yeah they're starting to pit a little bit, and honestly the rim shown is by far the worst. I apologize for my TERRIBLE rims ;)

I had two tires blow out on my Extreme trailer from the fender rubbing when I first got it. They had to adjust it up so it would not rub. I replaced mine with Maxxis and have been very happy. Anyone else use Maxxis trailer tires? I am about ready to replace them again and I have had no complaints. My tire shop loves them so I went with them the first time and see no reason not to again. What are your thoughts?

Kelly

I just had a tire blow out on my travel trailer and it looks similar to yours. Everyone I talked to at the tire stores says that a blow out is a secondary event. There was something wrong to start with. In my case, the tire was only 4 years old and in very very good condition. No cracking, good tread etc, etc. Anyway, the guy at the tire store told me that, in my case, the tire must have lost air and then ran on the sidewall. This wear caused a blow out, which can happen quite quickly. Funny thing is I checked the tires about 25 minutes before the blowout. Anyway, IMO, your tire was probably really low on air and you just didn't notice it till it let go and blew out.

Anyway, IMO, your tire was probably really low on air and you just didn't notice it till it let go and blew out.

Thats a good guess ;) I'll keep a closer eye on my pressures, BUT i had 3 of these 4 tires go out in the last 2 weeks. The first one was because I back the trailer so far off the launch ramp that the tire dropped off the back end. I assumed that one was my fault.

Second one was a cracked stem. Seemed kind of odd bu indicative that the tires were more sun dried than I thought.

Third one was the total blowout. Which may have also been from low air.

My synopsis was "it was time to get new tires". I'm certainly going to be checking my tire pressures weekly now. I was extremely lazy with that in the past, always have been. Oh well, you live, you learn!

Edit: I see from my first post I misinterpreted some data. I thought people were saying carlisle tires were the ones they thought were bad, but they guess goodyear marathons, which is precisely what I had. Have they been known to be crappy? I thought goodyear was a good brand? School me here

Now I have the carlisle's that PP previously mentioned.

Edited by wakeboarder3780
  • 4 weeks later...

that looks painful. my last trip i lost one tire going up. stopped to replace spare, found that the 235/60/14 are very hard to find. shop offered up a 185 14 to get me to the lake and back. on the way back lost another one. being sunday, and no tire shops open, i put the spare on and hoped for the best. I made it home with no further failures.

if these tires are hard to come by, is anybody using car tires with the proper weight rating?

that looks painful. my last trip i lost one tire going up. stopped to replace spare, found that the 235/60/14 are very hard to find. shop offered up a 185 14 to get me to the lake and back. on the way back lost another one. being sunday, and no tire shops open, i put the spare on and hoped for the best. I made it home with no further failures.

if these tires are hard to come by, is anybody using car tires with the proper weight rating?

I know that this question comes up a lot. I am not a tire guy, but guys who know their tires very much frown on it and say it is a bad idea. I forget why, but the consistent answer is no...do not use car tires on your trailer.

I've had this happen twice now on my Extreme trailer with the factory tires! Each time the tire rips apart like a retread and grabs onto the fenders and messes that up too. Now both fenders are equally jacked up.

:plus1:

Yes just about every trailer manufacturer offers car tires and custom wheels as an upgrade. If it was an issue I doubt they would do it and warranty the package.

I have been researching that a bit since I got a flat last weekend - rock puncture -heard it poke through with a loud pop about 1/2 mile from home. Many RVers have been going to LT tires (which are a bit tricky in a 14 to find). I asked the guy at Les Schwab and his comment was that "trailer tires are a lot better than they used to be". I didn't ask him if he meant better than a few years ago, or in the 80's though.

I've gotta think a decent auto tire is going to be as good or better than a trailer radial. I have been looking for a load range D or E and can't find them in my size so will need to look at some different fitments and what will fit in my fenders.