Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response LX Prop and Mirror Recommendation Request

My mirror broke on Saturday. At that point I figured it would be the worst part of the weekend but I have always disliked the mirror because it scratched the window frame and was never very secure so i wasn't heart broken. It turns out the broken mirror wasn't the worst part of the weekend but I still need a new one so I'm soliciting recommendations. The boat is a 1998 RLX. I would like a mirror that secures well without doing damage and gives a good field of view. We usually have the bimini and wakeboard pylon in place so that is a consideration. The pylon blocks rear view with a center mounted mirror so maybe a side mounted mirror is the way to go?

Anyway, before we left the lake I decided to check the prop. When we bought the boat I noticed some nicks on the stainless steel prop but didn't think much of it because the bottom of our lake is gravel and it isn't uncommon to scrape the bottom in shallow areas. Since the previous owners lived behind a sand bar I figured it was just some light damage.

While inspecting the prop I saw a few hair-line cracks near the hub on two blades so I did what I always do when I have a maintenance question; searched themalibucrew. Well, it turns out that catastrophic failures aren't terribly uncommon on stainless steel prop equipped Responses so I find myself at a cross-road. The options as I see them are 1) have the current prop repaired, 2) buy a new prop. I have a few questions.

Is a repaired SS prop a viable option? It seems to me that metal fatigue has already taken hold of my prop and a repair may only buy time. How much would a repair cost?

What prop should I buy if I decide on the replace option? The boat is an RLX with a 320 Monsoon. We mostly ski, wakeboard some, and tube some. I'm mostly concerned with ski performance. It's not uncommon to have three or even four skiers and we generally have about a half a tank of gas. Altitude is about 650'. I've done some research and the ACME 515 and 525 seem to be the best candidates. I understand the 525 would give a better hole shot but am concerned about the top end loss. I don't care about going really fast but we have a skiers who likes to ski at 41 or even a little faster. Will the 525 be able to do that?

Any additional input is appreciated. I'm not even sure I'm asking the right questions so feel free to expand.

Cheers,

John

Get rid of that ss CVP prop asap. Newer CNC props perform better anyway.

I am on my second season of an OJ suggested 13 X 11.5 LC 1 1/8" XMP 3-blade, part #330. I love it. I can push 44 or so on the top end and it pulls great out of the hole with full 2klbs of ballast. Skiing at 41 is crazy fast :crazy:

My mirror broke on Saturday. At that point I figured it would be the worst part of the weekend but I have always disliked the mirror because it scratched the window frame and was never very secure so i wasn't heart broken. It turns out the broken mirror wasn't the worst part of the weekend but I still need a new one so I'm soliciting recommendations. The boat is a 1998 RLX. I would like a mirror that secures well without doing damage and gives a good field of view. We usually have the bimini and wakeboard pylon in place so that is a consideration. The pylon blocks rear view with a center mounted mirror so maybe a side mounted mirror is the way to go?

Anyway, before we left the lake I decided to check the prop. When we bought the boat I noticed some nicks on the stainless steel prop but didn't think much of it because the bottom of our lake is gravel and it isn't uncommon to scrape the bottom in shallow areas. Since the previous owners lived behind a sand bar I figured it was just some light damage.

While inspecting the prop I saw a few hair-line cracks near the hub on two blades so I did what I always do when I have a maintenance question; searched themalibucrew. Well, it turns out that catastrophic failures aren't terribly uncommon on stainless steel prop equipped Responses so I find myself at a cross-road. The options as I see them are 1) have the current prop repaired, 2) buy a new prop. I have a few questions.

Is a repaired SS prop a viable option? It seems to me that metal fatigue has already taken hold of my prop and a repair may only buy time. How much would a repair cost?

What prop should I buy if I decide on the replace option? The boat is an RLX with a 320 Monsoon. We mostly ski, wakeboard some, and tube some. I'm mostly concerned with ski performance. It's not uncommon to have three or even four skiers and we generally have about a half a tank of gas. Altitude is about 650'. I've done some research and the ACME 515 and 525 seem to be the best candidates. I understand the 525 would give a better hole shot but am concerned about the top end loss. I don't care about going really fast but we have a skiers who likes to ski at 41 or even a little faster. Will the 525 be able to do that?

Any additional input is appreciated. I'm not even sure I'm asking the right questions so feel free to expand.

Cheers,

John

New Response LXs are being shipped with Acme 425, 13X13. Works very well. I would purchase one and use the old one as a second emergency prop.

I run the same as barefoot Paul and love it - OJ 13 X 11.5 LC 1 1/8" XMP 3-blade, part #330

As far as that CVP - I wouldn't even keep it as a spare unless you only plan on idling around with it. Too many bad stories. You should be able to find a cheap OJ 4 force 13X13 on ebay that is a great backup to a CNC

I don't hate on ACME, but OJ has never let me down

As far as a mirror, I am anxiously awaiting as I am looking for a new one also.

Edited by bretski75

Get rid of that ss CVP prop asap. Newer CNC props perform better anyway.

I am on my second season of an OJ suggested 13 X 11.5 LC 1 1/8" XMP 3-blade, part #330. I love it. I can push 44 or so on the top end and it pulls great out of the hole with full 2klbs of ballast. Skiing at 41 is crazy fast :crazy:

GET RID OF THAT SS PROP.....it will eventually toss a blade and could cause all kinds of nasty damage. Do a search on here if you don't believe this post. :biggrin:

I believe it. Just trying to gather enough info to justify to expenditure to the other owners of the boat.

Now I just have to figure out what prop and mirror to go with...

Cheers,

John

I personally don't think your boat will turn a 13x13 ACME prop. The older Monsoon's didnt' have the boost / torque of the newer units.

I'd agree with the folks above - the OJ XMP is a great prop, run one on my RLXi. I also have one as a spare...and a second spare (ACME) that hangs in the basement.

I've decided on the OJ XMP 13x12 which should fit my needs nicely. It was tough to choose between the OJ and the ACME 515 but even if I choose wrong I still have the second best prop for the boat instead of a ticking time bomb.

I think a little super glue and reconfiguring might take care of my mirror issue for now. If not I think I'm going to go with the CIPA M1-B875 which is available on Amazon for $68.24.

Below are three pictures of the cracks in the CVP.

First crack

Same crack different angle

Second crack