Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

motor dies after launch

Okay, the last few times we've gone out.

Back boat to launch

Unhook and start (in water, on trailer)

-lever forward position, engine cover up,nutrael stop out, key over..vroom!

Finish unhooking

Make sure engine temp is 120+

Wife pulls truck/trailer to unhook

Load upboat kids in boat, reverse from dock

Put it in forward gear and it dies....usually it restarts, but it didn't today.

Any ideas?

Okay, the last few times we've gone out.

Back boat to launch

Unhook and start (in water, on trailer)

-lever forward position, engine cover up,nutrael stop out, key over..vroom!

Finish unhooking

Make sure engine temp is 120+

Wife pulls truck/trailer to unhook

Load upboat kids in boat, reverse from dock

Put it in forward gear and it dies....usually it restarts, but it didn't today.

Any ideas?

Hi

When you first start this year of boat the carb will use the chokes, once warm the chokes do not operate which means the idle jets in the carb are used. I recently had the same issue, it got steadily worse until I got strnaded on the lake. It was then I pulled the carb and had a local mechanic rebuild it for me. My boat has started on 1st crank almost every time since. If I don't use it for a week then it starts on second crank at worst. You may have dirt in your carb. If it keeps doing it then I'd say have your carb cleaned. It cost me $180 and worth every penny.

also have spark ( at all 8 ) and fuel squirts when I manipulate throttle.

has a new fuel filter on the engine, will check fuel sock in the tank.

possible to try a fuel additive (sea foam, etc.) to clean carb, if not may have to do a rebuild (last option).

also have spark ( at all 8 ) and fuel squirts when I manipulate throttle.

has a new fuel filter on the engine, will check fuel sock in the tank.

possible to try a fuel additive (sea foam, etc.) to clean carb, if not may have to do a rebuild (last option).

Hi Duckpond,

Yes, I checked the fuel squirts as well. I hope the seafoam works for you. If not and you decide it's the carb I found a guy that managed to rebuild my carb the same day, I dropped it off in the morning and collected it in the late afternoon. Great service! He worked on carbs for old muscle cars. So check around for a car guy as they are usually local and fast.

Good luck!

Have the carb rebuilt. Also make sure the choke is working.

The choke was the problem. Though the carbon could use some freshing up. Plan on rebuilding on a raining day.

Thanks tofor everyone for the help!

The choke was the problem. Though the carbon could use some freshing up. Plan on rebuilding on a raining day.

Thanks tofor everyone for the help!

How did you figure it out, all of us with chokes will one day potentially have the same issue. I'm curious, was the linkage dirty and prevented the carb from returning to the closed position?

Yes linkage was dirty and wasnt allowing it to get fully closed. Sprayed some carbon cleaner on it, wiped it off and lubed all the pivot points with graphite (dry).

Yes linkage was dirty and wasnt allowing it to get fully closed. Sprayed some carbon cleaner on it, wiped it off and lubed all the pivot points with graphite (dry).

Thanks, good to know.